Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Synergy 1.7.3 crashing on OSX and Win7

Paul Caskey
I have a new install of Synergy 1.7.3 installed and crashing randomly (at least once/hour) on OSX and Win7. I have tried each as server/client and vice-versa. The client side is usually the one that crashes. It either just disconnects randomly and stays running, or disappears altogether. Win Pro 7 (SP1, latest updates) is the current client, using a Mac laptop keyboard + mouse: OSX 10.9.5. I don't know if maybe the monitor position has something to do with it. The Mac is below the Windows screen. So I'm constantly "brushing past" the OSX top menu bar with the mouse. It often dies right when I'm moving the mouse like that between screens, but not always. When the Mac is the client, I think it disconnects more often, but it's hard to say. I've never had this kind of problem w/synergy before, but it's been at least a year since I used it. I used to share between mac and linux just fine. Clearly I need to get rid of Windows. That wouldn't take much arm twisting. ;) Paul
Paul Caskey
[quote="Paul Caskey"]I have a new install of Synergy 1.7.3 installed and crashing randomly (at least once/hour) on OSX and Win7.[/quote] BTW this is with auto-config on both sides, both ways (server<>client). E.g. on Win7 as client now: [code]NOTE: connecting to service... NOTE: connection established NOTE: zeroconf server detected: 192.168.1.121 NOTE: starting client NOTE: config file: C:/Users/Paul/AppData/Local/Temp/qt_temp.p10888 NOTE: log level: INFO ... NOTE: connecting to '192.168.1.121': 192.168.1.121:24800 INFO: watchdog status: ok NOTE: server fingerprint: FD:13:EA:58:9C:0A:F5:5E:3C:CC:CD:4A:4F:FD:47:7C:40:91:77:2B INFO: connected to secure socket INFO: server ssl certificate info: /CN=Synergy NOTE: connected to server ... [/code] Paul
  • 2 weeks later...
Paul Caskey
I have uninstalled synergy and mentally flushed it down the toilet. I'm done. 'Tis a shame. This used to be a great piece of software. Someone has broken it recently. My friends agree: copy/pasting doesn't work anymore, and it randomly crashes like this. I'm not going to start hunting older versions until I find one that works. I'll just live without. Paul :(
  • 3 weeks later...
Ben Koenig
I wish I had seen this thread sooner. You are right that recent versions have changed. The encryption scheme was upgraded to be incredibly more secure. The side effect is that a host of bugs have popped up and separating those from the normal bugs is more of a pain than I imagined! Personally I'd like to apologize Paul. I'm the one trying to gather info about obscure bugs like this and I missed one. If you end up checking out a future version I'm not planning any vacations.