Jump to content

HOME environment variable not set (and core dump)


flare

Recommended Posts

synergy2
QObject::startTimer: Timers cannot have negative intervals
qrc:/ActivationPage.qml:65:21: QML Image: Binding loop detected for property "sourceSize.height"
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
  what():  failed to check update: SSL handshake failed
Aborted (core dumped)

synergy-2.0.0-818.beta4.042356d4.el7.centos.x86_64.rpm

This same version works fine on Fedora 26

The synergy service also core dumps

Sep 27 09:38:10 workstation synergyd[14534]: [2017-09-27T09:38:10] info: starting service...
Sep 27 09:38:10 workstation synergyd[14534]: terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
Sep 27 09:38:10 workstation synergyd[14534]:   what():  HOME environment variable not set
Sep 27 09:38:10 workstation systemd[1]: synergy.service: Main process exited, code=dumped, status=6/ABRT
Sep 27 09:38:10 workstation systemd[1]: synergy.service: Unit entered failed state.
Sep 27 09:38:10 workstation systemd[1]: synergy.service: Failed with result 'core-dump'.
Sep 27 09:38:10 workstation systemd[1]: synergy.service: Service has no hold-off time, scheduling restart.
Sep 27 09:38:10 workstation systemd[1]: Stopped Synergy Service.
Sep 27 09:38:10 workstation systemd[1]: synergy.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Sep 27 09:38:10 workstation systemd[1]: Failed to start Synergy Service.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

take a look at

make sure to read the whole thing, as its a big mess of typos.

summary: replace the line with ExecStart with:

ExecStart=/bin/env HOME=/home/<username> /usr/bin/synergyd

inside the synergy.service file inside /etc/systemd/system/, if its not in there search for it using the filebrowser.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually to get the process to start automatically on a per user basis do the following:-

Create a file ~/.config/systemd/user/synergy.service

It should look like the following:-

 

[Unit]
Description=Synergy Server

[Service]
Environment=DISPLAY=:0
ExecStart=/bin/env HOME=/home/<username> /usr/bin/synergyd

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target

 

Now issue

systemctl --user daemon-reload

systemctl --user enable synergy.service

systemctl --user start synergy.service

 

ps -ef | grep -i synergy

The above should show you that it's running as the required user, no need for root to run the service.  It means that synergyd only starts when the user logs in

For me I still haven't got it to work with my Fedora 26 client.

Edited by flare
Forgot a bit
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, flare said:

Actually to get the process to start automatically on a per user basis do the following:-

Create a file ~/.config/systemd/user/synergy.service

It should look like the following:-

 

[Unit]
Description=Synergy Server

[Service]
Environment=DISPLAY=:0
ExecStart=/bin/env HOME=/home/<username> /usr/bin/synergyd

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target

 

Now issue

systemctl --user daemon-reload

systemctl --user enable synergy.service

systemctl --user start synergy.service

 

ps -ef | grep -i synergy

The above should show you that it's running as the required user, no need for root to run the service.  It means that synergyd only starts when the user logs in

For me I still haven't got it to work with my Fedora 26 client.

yeah, but the synergy service is supposed to work on the lock screen. and this wont sart at the lock screen

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ok I can get fedora 26 client to connect to fedora 24 server, but only if the server is invoked using synergys -c synergy.conf, and the client is invoked using synergyc .

When they are connected and I move from the server to the client, I see no mouse/pointer, Alt-tab doesn't work either

With synergyd nothing happens, client can't connect.

On the client if I run synergy2 nothing happens, does it read the config file ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/29/2017 at 2:59 AM, flare said:

ok I can get fedora 26 client to connect to fedora 24 server, but only if the server is invoked using synergys -c synergy.conf, and the client is invoked using synergyc .

When they are connected and I move from the server to the client, I see no mouse/pointer, Alt-tab doesn't work either

With synergyd nothing happens, client can't connect.

On the client if I run synergy2 nothing happens, does it read the config file ?

did you link the config file as described in the thread?

beta 5 should be out in about in 4 weeks, if you need synergy you can fall back to v1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

are the core dumps still happening?

if so change the line with ExecStart in the file /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/synergy.service to:

ExecStart=/bin/env HOME=/home/<username> /usr/bin/synergyd

this should make sure the service runs as intended with your home directory.

if the core dump is fixed that its just the linux service being not that great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nick Bolton said:

Good news, I spent the last 5 days fixing this (including Saturday and Sunday). Looks good. Still not stable enough for you guys to test because of the partially implemented network layer, but I'll get it to you as soon as I can! Thought I'd share the good news! :)

any release date on beta 5? week(s)? or days

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Synergy Team
2 hours ago, jaap aarts said:

any release date on beta 5? week(s)? or days

I'm pushing hard for 2 weeks time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...