Syngery 3 on Fedora 40: requires qt5-qtbase package.

Benny Bucko

Benny Bucko

Hi all,

Here's how I got Synergy 3 working on Fedora 40 Workstation, XFCE spin.

The latest RPM at this time is for Fedora 38. So this is what I installed in Fedora 40 (specifically, Synergy version 3.0.80.1-rc3).

After installation, the service couldn't communicate with my two other Synergy 3 devices, so I reset all devices and linked them again (from scratch) using my Symless-licensed account. This enabled the devices to discover one another, which they weren't doing before the reset, and I could arrange their screen layouts. Even so, the mouse/keyboard pass-through still wouldn't control the newest device: the Fedora 40 workstation; mouse/keyboard pass-through only worked between the two existing devices.

Next, I looked at the Synology 3 logs, and noticed that the core process was continually crashing. So I tried executing the core binary with:

sudo /opt/Synergy/syngery-core

This was informative. The console execution produced an error saying that libQt5DBus.so.5 was missing. Naturally, I searched the web to find out which Fedora 40 package provided this library, which was qt5-qtbase. Hence, I used dnf to install the qt5-qtbase package. Several other dependencies were installed alongside, and when I restarted Synergy the mouse/keyboard immediately began passing through from my other device.

Lastly, I followed this article to ensure that Fedora doesn't try to uninstall or downgrade Synergy.

I hope this helps someone. :)