Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Synergy 3 RC2

DieselDrax

RC2 is broken for me as well.  Win11 server, Ubuntu 22.04 client.  The connection is working but the mouse is "invisible" (actual pointer on Ubuntu doesn't move but I can see when my mouse is moving over buttons that highlight.  Also, the keyboard isn't working.  I've reset Synergy on both machines, no change.

• Like 1
DieselDrax

Looks like this may actually be an issue with a recent update with Ubuntu that was applied today as I went back to RC1 and the same thing is happening.  Sigh.

DieselDrax
11 minutes ago, DieselDrax said:

Looks like this may actually be an issue with a recent update with Ubuntu that was applied today as I went back to RC1 and the same thing is happening.  Sigh.

I wish there were an edit option.  Switching back to RC1 and rebooting both machines has me back up and running.

Salty Dog

It's working now, after trying a bunch of random things. Looks like I have to connect out from the "server" and not the "client" computers. Going from client to server resulted in "can't connect." I suspect it is a TLS thing? Don't know. 

Salty Dog

@DieselDrax You might try disabling TLS in security. I'm not a 100 percent sure, but I saw a bunch of those kinds of errors when trying to connect an RC2 new install to a RC2 over RC1 install. I suspect RC1 didn't use TLS? Worth a shot just to try.

DieselDrax
10 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

@DieselDrax Disregard. TLS wouldn't affect mouse not showing/keyboard not working and sounds like your issue has to do with Ubuntu.

It's an issue with RC2, I reset Synergy on both, reinstalled RC1, rebooted both, configured them, and now I'm back up and running again.  I might try and reproduce the issue with RC2 again this evening just to confirm I have the same problem come back.

• Like 1
PGP_Protector

Just to verify.
After the Software Support Update date, we'll still be able to download the current version we're licensed for correct? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
DieselDrax
On 7/31/2023 at 12:18 PM, DieselDrax said:

It's an issue with RC2, I reset Synergy on both, reinstalled RC1, rebooted both, configured them, and now I'm back up and running again.  I might try and reproduce the issue with RC2 again this evening just to confirm I have the same problem come back.

Just to follow up on this, it seems that my issue was related to Ubuntu 22.04 somehow switching from Xorg to Wayland, it would seem Synergy 3 doesn't fully/properly support Wayland.  The only way I figured this out was when I switched back to Synergy 1 as even RC1 started failing and then Synergy 1 errored that it doesn't support Wayland.  Weird as I never selected Wayland.

Anyway, I'm back to running RC2 on Xorg and I have no problems.

Issue here with Ubuntu 22.04 (Server) and Latest build of Windows 11 (client).   Running RC3 on both with TLS enabled.   

Windows 11 is 27" Monitor above my Samsung Neo 49".   I have the smaller one directly above centered.    

Issue:  
My cursor never even makes an attempt to move upwards to the other screen.   I can reproduce it every time.   There is no attempt, and the verbose logging doesn't show that it's left my Ubuntu server screen and "entered" the Windows 11.    Something is keeping it from recognizing it.  

Additional Bug: 
Interestingly enough, I had an application full screen (to the left of my Samsung) that is a second display connected to Ubuntu.   In some odd cases (I have seen it twice now), when the application is running, and I move my mouse over it, it then switches to the Windows 11 machine.  The entire width of the application appears to give the cursor the ability to move to my Windows machine.   Unfortunately, I do not know how to replicate this and it appears to gone away after a restart.   

When it was doing it, it almost appeard that I had to hit the top edge of my monitor (simulating going to the Windows 11 monitor) before it would start doing it.   Since that time, I have attempted to repeat it and cannot.   

Thanks,
DG

@Kyle Bloom and who ever "Daniel  support" is: 

~
x sudo systemctl status synergy.service
× synergy.service - Synergy 3 Login service
     Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/synergy.service; enabled; preset: disabled)
    Drop-In: /usr/lib/systemd/system/service.d
             └─10-timeout-abort.conf
     Active: failed (Result: timeout) since Thu 2023-09-07 19:53:20 ACST; 2min 42s ago
    Process: 282936 ExecStartPre=/opt/Synergy/resources/services/system/loginLauncherPre.sh (code=killed, signal=TE>
        CPU: 34ms

Sep 07 19:52:34 brass systemd[1]: Starting synergy.service - Synergy 3 Login service...
Sep 07 19:53:20 brass systemd[1]: synergy.service: start-pre operation timed out. Terminating.
Sep 07 19:53:20 brass systemd[1]: synergy.service: Control process exited, code=killed, status=15/TERM
Sep 07 19:53:20 brass systemd[1]: synergy.service: Failed with result 'timeout'.
Sep 07 19:53:20 brass systemd[1]: Failed to start synergy.service - Synergy 3 Login service.

~ took 3s
x sudo systemctl restart synergy
^C

~ took 20s
x cat /etc/systemd/system/synergy.service;
[Unit]
Description=Synergy 3 Login service

[Service]
ExecStartPre=/opt/Synergy/resources/services/system/loginLauncherPre.sh
ExecStart=/opt/Synergy/resources/services/system/loginLauncher.sh
StandardOutput=syslog
StandardError=syslog

[Install]
WantedBy=graphical.target

~
> cat /opt/Synergy/resources/services/system/loginLauncherPre.sh
#!/usr/bin/env bash

GDM_ID=$(id -u gdm)

while [ ! -f "/var/run/user/$GDM_ID/gdm/Xauthority" ]; do
    sleep 1;
done

/bin/systemctl set-environment XAUTHORITY="/var/run/user/$GDM_ID/gdm/Xauthority"

~
> GDM_ID=$(id -u gdm) ls -al "/var/run/user/$GDM_ID/gdm/Xauthority"
ls: cannot access '/var/run/user/42/gdm/Xauthority': No such file or directory

~
x GDM_ID=$(id -u gdm) ls -al "/var/run/user/$GDM_ID/gdm/"
ls: cannot access '/var/run/user/42/gdm/': No such file or directory

~
x GDM_ID=$(id -u gdm) ls -al "/var/run/user/$GDM_ID/"
ls: cannot access '/var/run/user/42/': No such file or directory

~
x GDM_ID=$(id -u gdm) ls -al "/var/run/user/"
total 0
drwxr-xr-x.  4 root     root       80 Aug 31 20:35 .
drwxr-xr-x. 56 root     root     1420 Sep  7 07:51 ..
drwx------.  3 root     root       60 Aug 31 20:35 0
drwx------. 20 zenobius zenobius  540 Sep  7 19:57 1000

~
>

~
x

~
x cat /opt/Synergy/resources/services/system/loginLauncherPre.sh
#!/usr/bin/env bash

GDM_ID=$(id -u gdm)

while [ ! -f "/var/run/user/$GDM_ID/gdm/Xauthority" ]; do
    sleep 1;
done

/bin/systemctl set-environment XAUTHORITY="/var/run/user/$GDM_ID/gdm/Xauthority"

~
> cat /etc/systemd/system/synergy.service;
[Unit]
Description=Synergy 3 Login service

[Service]
ExecStartPre=/opt/Synergy/resources/services/system/loginLauncherPre.sh
ExecStart=/opt/Synergy/resources/services/system/loginLauncher.sh
StandardOutput=syslog
StandardError=syslog

[Install]
WantedBy=graphical.target

~
> cat /opt/Synergy/resources/services/system/loginLauncher.sh
#!/usr/bin/env bash

source /etc/Synergy/loginInfo

if [ -z "$ARGS" ]; then
    echo "Login agent is disabled"
else
    /opt/Synergy/synergy-core $ARGS
fi

~
> cat /etc/Synergy/loginInfo
ARGS=""%                                                                                                            
~
> ?????

~
x /opt/Synergy/synergy-core
Usage: synergy-core <server | client> [...options]
server - start as a server (synergys)
client - start as a client (synergyc)
use synergy-core <server|client> --help for more information.

~
> /opt/Synergy/synergy-core server

~
> ???? wutttt?????

~
x sigh
zsh: sigh: command not found...

~
x so disapoint son
zsh: so: command not found...

~
  • 3 weeks later...
ayalaresearch

RC2 issues:

Typically I've got 2 computers that I take back and forth between work and home. Each network is DHCP, but the address on each is very stable. Old version of Synergy require me to change the URL of the server on the client computer so that it could "see" it. This worked fine, though it was a minor annoyance since I was switching the hub with the keyboard/mouse receivers back and forth. 

I installed RC2 on both computers yesterday while on my home network,  now , at work the two computers can't seem to connect. Oddly though, I can change which is the keyboard/mouse computer and it will successfully communicate it to the other. In fact if I move the arrangement of the monitors around, it updates it on the other screen, more or less in real time. After doing this a few times, the other computer greyed out.

Okay, I am not able to get it to connect regardless of which is the server, despite some things appear to communicate (like which is the keyboard/mouse computer , or their relative location).  I've tried several restarts on both machines. It is weird, they sorta see each other but don't connect, they time out.

ayalaresearch

Okay, I reverted back to Synergy 1, all is back to normal. Took about 5 minutes between the computers, way less time than trying to figure out what's going on in Synergy 3. I think, honestly, I'd prefer to have the option of various configurations that can be saved, maybe they see which network their on and automatically select the correct configuration. Or just have the option of selecting work , home, other configurations that have been pre-set up.

• 3 months later...
Bwilcutt

I reverted back to RC 1.... Synergy 3 just isn't ready for prime time.   I have an 18.04 Linux box, brand new, brand new install, no installed SW whatsoever... and Synergy 3 complains about missing files, not finding the synergy.service, etc.  I've tried for a week and gave up.

Synergy RC 1 works perfect however it has a bug... hold any key down long enough and the mouse pops back to the server and you lose context.  Maybe there's a work around for that... otherwise, back to Barrier I go.

• Nick Bolton unpinned this topic