Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Synergy 3 pains

I've replaced Synergy 1 with Synergy 3 and have had issues on every install. Uninstall, delete the directory, then reboot, and reinstall. Painful and doesn't do the trick for me. I've spent 30 minutes trying to get it to work. Synergy 1 I was up and running in less than 5 minutes. This feels like Synergy 2... I appreciate the developers and everything they're trying to do but I feel this was a little to early for a release. I'm moving back to Synergy 1 for now.

Server Fedora 38 KDE Plasma

Client Fedora 37 XFCE4

Diagnostic Tool Results:

Reason: Process synergy-core not running

Jun 26 08:57:53 example.com systemd[1]: synergy.service: start-pre operation timed out. Terminating.
Jun 26 08:57:53 example.com systemd[1]: synergy.service: Control process exited, code=killed, status=15/TERM
Jun 26 08:57:53 example.com systemd[1]: synergy.service: Failed with result 'timeout'.
Jun 26 08:57:53 example.com systemd[1]: Failed to start synergy.service - Synergy 3 Login service.
Jun 26 09:07:38 example.com systemd[1]: Starting synergy.service - Synergy 3 Login service...
Jun 26 09:08:23 example.com systemd[1]: synergy.service: start-pre operation timed out. Terminating.
Jun 26 09:08:23 example.com systemd[1]: synergy.service: Control process exited, code=killed, status=15/TERM
Jun 26 09:08:23 example.com systemd[1]: synergy.service: Failed with result 'timeout'.
Jun 26 09:08:23 example.com systemd[1]: Failed to start synergy.service - Synergy 3 Login service.
Jun 26 09:17:02 example.com systemd[1]: /etc/systemd/system/synergy.service:7: Standard output type syslog is obsolete, automatically updating to journal. Please update your unit file, and consider removing the setting altogether
Jun 26 09:17:02 example.com systemd[1]: /etc/systemd/system/synergy.service:8: Standard output type syslog is obsolete, automatically updating to journal. Please update your unit file, and consider removing the setting altogether

Also, I noticed you might have some versioning problems with your RPM's. Version 1 shouldn't be an upgrade to Version 3. Unless that is intentional.

$ rpm -qa|grep synergy
synergy-3.0.7_2.1_rc1-1.x86_64

$  sudo dnf update synergy
Last metadata expiration check: 0:59:56 ago on Mon 26 Jun 2023 08:29:12 AM CDT.
Dependencies resolved.
===============================================================================================================================================
 Package                        Architecture                  Version                                      Repository                     Size
===============================================================================================================================================
Upgrading:
 synergy                        x86_64                        1:1.14.5.17-1.fc38                           fedora                        1.0 M

Transaction Summary
Upgrade  1 Package

Total download size: 1.0 M
Is this ok [y/N]:

• 2 weeks later...

I had problems getting Synergy 3 Server and Client to connect.
Then I figured it out.
Try following my instructions to see if you get it to work like I did.

On 7/10/2023 at 4:59 PM, asifhs said:

I had problems getting Synergy 3 Server and Client to connect.
Then I figured it out.
Try following my instructions to see if you get it to work like I did.

What instructions?

I'm back on Synergy 1 now and running fine. 

Apologies! My post describing the instructions got deleted?! Not sure.

Anyway, here are the instructions for Ubuntu 22.04:

1. Uninstall whatever current version of Synergy.
    apt-get purge synergy ;
    rm -rf ~/.local/share/Synergy ;
    rm -rf ~/.config/synergy ;
    rm -rf ~/.config/Synergy ;

2. Download and install Synergy version 3.