Jump to content
Get SynergyOpen a support ticket

Issue: Unable to log in to Synergy 2 Beta


Nick Bolton

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, hooty said:

Daniel Alarcon (Symless)

Dec 2, 23:00 EST

Hi Mark,

The ETA for the login issue is not yet certain, devs estimate that January 2020 but is not a definite timeframe.

Sorry for the trouble.

Thanks,
Daniel

--
Daniel Alarcon
Synergy Team
Symless

so, just to clarify, you're prioritising working on an incremental update release that has no public scheduled release date over a live issue that prevents anyone connecting a new system to an existing Synergy 2 setup?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • TonyChong

    11

  • Ionactive

    9

  • Matthew Lavigne

    5

  • drucifer21

    4

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all I believe I have managed to find the error and implement a fix. Can you try to login and report any problems. Thanks Jamie

I think we deserve an update to this issue.

Any updates on this would be appreciated. Even if it is an ETA, ignoring the problem is not helping anyone. When I purchased this product it was considered "Stable" but has now changed to "Beta". Can

This from a support ticket to me, Mark, from the Synergy Team member - Daniel Alarcon. They weren't responding to this forum but did respond to a support ticket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Matthew Lavigne

Starting to wonder if I ask for my $$$ back if I will get it.  I paid for 1 and 2 (if I remember correctly) and no neither are sufficient to do what they had been doing.  Now with a known failing condition we get a reply that it will be January of 2020 before we get 'looked at'?  This is either a pervasive issue, in which they have a huge server side issue or they have something else that is going on that is preventing authentication.  If possible I would like to see if we can get something that allows us to locally tokenize systems so that we can at least get working again. 

 

Matthew

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry this is shite. I did get a reply to my post above (after all these days). I also got a quite frankly SPAM email asking my to up grade to Synergy 1 pro.

The annoying thing is the Beta is actually bloody good.

A new company needs to step in (I am looking) and just offer the same service. I would pay for it all again as long as I know it works, and there is support. I know little about Synergy (the company), but this would in any other world be commercial suicide? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Davey said:

so, just to clarify, you're prioritising working on an incremental update release that has no public scheduled release date over a live issue that prevents anyone connecting a new system to an existing Synergy 2 setup?

Yep - this is incredible, after the delay where we heard nothing at all.  I am WILLING a company to come along and offer similar product. Please Synergy, get your act together. You are telling me that you have no person that can be on the case, Thursday morning and sort this by 1200 Thursday lunchtime?? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Matthew Lavigne said:

Starting to wonder if I ask for my $$$ back if I will get it.  I paid for 1 and 2 (if I remember correctly) and no neither are sufficient to do what they had been doing.  Now with a known failing condition we get a reply that it will be January of 2020 before we get 'looked at'?  This is either a pervasive issue, in which they have a huge server side issue or they have something else that is going on that is preventing authentication.  If possible I would like to see if we can get something that allows us to locally tokenize systems so that we can at least get working again. 

 

Matthew

From my perspective the Beta works well, just not for new installs where you need the authentication that does not work. I paid for a beta, so I expect it to work. If it screws my system then that is my risk, but paying for it means it should at least install an be authorised?!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Derrick laForge

Today I got this email from Synergy.

Synergy Logo

50% Off Synergy Pro Upgrades

Hi,

Did you manage to pick up any new computers or monitors in the sales?

To help you bring the awesome power of Synergy Pro to all your computers. We are offering 50% off all Synergy Pro upgrades, add Pro for just $4.50. 

Synergy Pro adds SSL/TLS encryption to ensure all sensitive data sent between your computers is secure. 

Upgrade Now
But hurry, our upgrade offer ends Wednesday 11th December.

Please forward this email to a friend in need and help bring computers together. 

The Synergy Team
Cool Jobs:
Looking for a C++, Node.js/React,
or UX job? We're hiring!
Tech Support:
Need help with Synergy?
Get in touch with us today.

 

I opened a ticket up a week or so ago and got an email today asking if I still needed help with the issue or they were going to close it.. 

But looking at the email, they are hiring! maybe that is why that can't answer! No one to fix it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Derrick laForge said:

Today I got this email from Synergy.

Synergy Logo

50% Off Synergy Pro Upgrades

Hi,

Did you manage to pick up any new computers or monitors in the sales?

To help you bring the awesome power of Synergy Pro to all your computers. We are offering 50% off all Synergy Pro upgrades, add Pro for just $4.50. 

Synergy Pro adds SSL/TLS encryption to ensure all sensitive data sent between your computers is secure. 

Upgrade Now
But hurry, our upgrade offer ends Wednesday 11th December.

Please forward this email to a friend in need and help bring computers together. 

The Synergy Team
Cool Jobs:
Looking for a C++, Node.js/React,
or UX job? We're hiring!
Tech Support:
Need help with Synergy?
Get in touch with us today.

 

I opened a ticket up a week or so ago and got an email today asking if I still needed help with the issue or they were going to close it.. 

But looking at the email, they are hiring! maybe that is why that can't answer! No one to fix it?

yep - I got this is well - what a joke!!  I guess this is a small company - but this is a total embarrassment !   Just sort the beta authentication and all is forgiven (as its a good product )  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Matthew Lavigne
1 hour ago, Ionactive said:

From my perspective the Beta works well, just not for new installs where you need the authentication that does not work. I paid for a beta, so I expect it to work. If it screws my system then that is my risk, but paying for it means it should at least install an be authorised?!  

I don't disagree but when I bought 2 (also an owner of ver 1 pro) it was out of Beta.  They struggled with it for a bit then rolled it back to beta.  Now I know buyer beware, but to me even with with limited authentication and configuration problems I was happy with 2.x.  I could use it at home and at work and generally it would sort itself out across the 4 or 5 systems that I use it with (tho sometimes I know that I was on the system at home from work... would make the wife a bit crazy when I would to that remotely) but it was adaptable based on the fact that I change networks at least 2x per day with at least 2 systems that I carry with me.  Version 1 can not handle that without a server reconfiguration or creating an alias on the interface that comes up or using a cross over cable between the systems.  Tie that in with my companies policy to bird dog you if you have anything resembling SSLV3/TLS1.0/1.1 on a port (any port) and you can understand the frustration.

 

Give us a simple way of generating a token that we can put on the system so that it will authenticate and then we can add it to the working infrastructure that we , the end users  have on hand, and I will be fine.   It just pisses me off that we have an app that we have paid for that we can't activate and no on give a shit about it. 

 

Matthew 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm experiencing the same issue, but only with a new install on a new Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon install.

The 2.0.12-beta works fine for my Windows 10, existing Linux Mint 19.2 Mate install.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Done some playing around....

The logging with symless is not returning the userid, profileid and screenid correctly.

I found the install that was working and copied the config values over to the new install and it all works :)

Will see if I can decode the response from the v1.api.symless.com call to see if there is a logic to get the screenid, profileid and userid values correctly, but Christmas Concerts beckon.

Nick, can you share the code or repo and I'll see if I can fix it for you?

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

OK - I thought it was just me... Feeling better now... I think it's something local - the problem is in the background service - it's failing to start (use the event viewer->Windows Logs->Application)

The description for Event ID 0 from source synergy-service-controller cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

synergy-service-controller
Detect Synergy service is not running, restarting

Perhaps it's a windows update (or a visual studio update). the error is a low-level library call failure. (I'm a software developer, and know the pain they must be under).

I think I'll repave my machine and see what update etc is killing it.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
apatheticnow
 
 
 
 
On 12/4/2019 at 7:02 PM, dreffed said:

 

I found the install that was working and copied the config values over to the new install and it all works :)

 

Mind sharing the files you copied to get things working? I've got a functioning install and I'd like to try the same thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The file I copies was the Synergy.config file, the only issue I found is the Windows Config is widely different from the Linux Config.

Linux has the following:

{
  profileid:<int>
  screenid:<int>
  userId:<int>
  token:<alphanumeric>
}

I'm at my work machine hence the json is from memory, so if you can copy from linux to linux then that should work.

The windows machines seem to store the same data in binary in a series of *.dat files in the appdata\local folder, didn't get to play with those yet

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dreffed said:

The file I copies was the Synergy.config file, the only issue I found is the Windows Config is widely different from the Linux Config.

Linux has the following:

{
  profileid:<int>
  screenid:<int>
  userId:<int>
  token:<alphanumeric>
}

I'm at my work machine hence the json is from memory, so if you can copy from linux to linux then that should work.

The windows machines seem to store the same data in binary in a series of *.dat files in the appdata\local folder, didn't get to play with those yet

 

In addition to copying and updating the synergy.conf file from c:\users\<username>\appdata\local\symless\synergy

I also needed to grab some registry keys from an existing system. I exported the following keys from my existing box and imported them on my new machine.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synergy]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Symless\Synergy]

The only side effect is that Synergy is using the old machine name. For me that's fine as I'm decommissioning the old one.

Hope this helps some of you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe i can help with the info that it seems not to be a problem with the software (the downloaded version), i tried an old version i had on an old pc and there is no change.

It seems to be a problem with the authentication website.

But still, if i look at the posts this problem persists for way too long. especially since the v2 was not in beta when i bought it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TonyChong said:

Same problem here I already try everything, and Nothing made it working, I JUST NEED HELP!

Sadly, there is no help coming for at least the next 6-8 weeks.

The company would rather focus all their energy on making a tiny change to their old (and currently working) version 1 than help us get the new and broken version back up and running again.

To be fair, they're a small team and clearly don't have a customer/software support manager, otherwise this would have been resolved weeks ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/12/2019 at 3:23 PM, Davey said:

so, just to clarify, you're prioritising working on an incremental update release that has no public scheduled release date over a live issue that prevents anyone connecting a new system to an existing Synergy 2 setup?

Whilst I personally agree with, it's a bad experience for existing customers and a terrible one for a new customer downloading for the first time - the app just doesn't work so they'll move on to something else. You could argue that as this is still beta software it doesn't come under regular support.  It's not a live system yet therefore you/we should not be running it on a live/mission critical system and shouldn't expect it to be stable.   

That doesn't stop it being a really terrible customer experience and showing (in my opinion) considerably bad judgement and lack of customer focus, but technically "it's still beta" !

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, netean said:

Whilst I personally agree with, it's a bad experience for existing customers and a terrible one for a new customer downloading for the first time - the app just doesn't work so they'll move on to something else. You could argue that as this is still beta software it doesn't come under regular support.  It's not a live system yet therefore you/we should not be running it on a live/mission critical system and shouldn't expect it to be stable.   

That doesn't stop it being a really terrible customer experience and showing (in my opinion) considerably bad judgement and lack of customer focus, but technically "it's still beta" !

Yes and no.  For some people it was technically out of beta when they bought it and then the beta tag was retrospectively reattached to it.  And the other point is that they did charge for it, so beta or not, as you mentioned in your last post, had they had a customer/software support manager there's a chance that this would have been prioritised.
 

I'm lucky, I can revert to Synergy 1, I don't like that I had to and not everyone is that fortunate.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It certainly feels like it's well beyond the beta stage for an application. It's been available for a long time (and in my experience has been extremely stable in that time too).

I also paid for it and I am also hugely disappointed in the company's lack of customer care or interest in resolving it. It doesn't feel like it's a big problem or one that they couldn't give us a workaround for while they investigate more thoroughly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

i was able to get it to work by doing what the other person did. i copied the config file and the two registry keys from the win7 machine i was retiring to the win 10 machine that i now have

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Nick Bolton unpinned and locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...