Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Synergy 3 - No cursor with Wayland (Fedora 38)

Sebastien

Hi there,

Wanted to report that Synergy 3 works fine under X11 (Fedora 38), however when running Wayland the mouse cursor is not visible and the keyboard doesn't seem to work either, while the service is running and the computer detected. I can't test it with F37 as I already upgraded, but happy to give more details to help troubleshoot/improve.

I'm having the same issue on Ubuntu 22.04.  The mouse "effects" of mousing over or right clicking are all there, just no cursor.

Nobody is going to be surprised when I say it's a Wayland problem. Changed to X11 and it's all fine. A decade later and we're still here apparently.

• 3 weeks later...

Nobody is going to be surprised when I say it's a Wayland problem. Changed to X11 and it's all fine. A decade later and we're still here apparently.

Is it a "Wayland" problem, or is it "Synergy" problem? X's days are numbered, and most apps at least work in Wayland. A little frustrating that the new Synergy is still requiring X. 

PilotPaul

Disappointing that Wayland is still not supported...for me it makes the product useless.  Time to look for an alternative I think...

Disappointed

Wayland (and Linux in general) are a very low priority for the Symless team, so all you will hear about it is Nick Bolton apologizing that it's not here and claiming that it will eventually come, which may or may not be when you are still alive. 🤷‍♂️

• 1 month later...
On 5/6/2023 at 8:15 AM, Sebastien said:

Hi there,

Wanted to report that Synergy 3 works fine under X11 (Fedora 38), however when running Wayland the mouse cursor is not visible and the keyboard doesn't seem to work either, while the service is running and the computer detected. I can't test it with F37 as I already upgraded, but happy to give more details to help troubleshoot/improve.

How did you get the service running ? 

x sudo dnf install ./Downloads/synergy-linux_x64-libssl3-v3.0.73.7-rc2.rpm -y
Last metadata expiration check: 2:11:01 ago on Tue 01 Aug 2023 08:37:28.
Dependencies resolved.
===========================================================================================================================================================================================================================
 Package                                           Architecture                                     Version                                                   Repository                                              Size
===========================================================================================================================================================================================================================
Installing:
 synergy                                           x86_64                                           3.0.7_3.7_rc2-1                                           @commandline                                            84 M

Transaction Summary
Install  1 Package

Total size: 84 M
Installed size: 331 M
Downloading Packages:
Running transaction check
Transaction check succeeded.
Running transaction test
Transaction test succeeded.
Running transaction
  Preparing        :                                                                                                                                                                                                   1/1
  Installing       : synergy-3.0.7_3.7_rc2-1.x86_64                                                                                                                                                                    1/1
  Running scriptlet: synergy-3.0.7_3.7_rc2-1.x86_64                                                                                                                                                                    1/1
  Verifying        : synergy-3.0.7_3.7_rc2-1.x86_64                                                                                                                                                                    1/1

Installed:
  synergy-3.0.7_3.7_rc2-1.x86_64

Complete!

~ took 14s
> systemctl status synery
Unit synery.service could not be found.

~
x systemctl status synergy
× synergy.service - Synergy 3 Login service
     Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/synergy.service; enabled; preset: disabled)
    Drop-In: /usr/lib/systemd/system/service.d
             └─10-timeout-abort.conf
     Active: failed (Result: timeout) since Tue 2023-08-01 10:46:31 ACST; 2min 23s ago
        CPU: 36ms

Aug 01 10:46:31 brass systemd[1]: synergy.service: start-pre operation timed out. Terminating.
Aug 01 10:46:31 brass systemd[1]: synergy.service: Control process exited, code=killed, status=15/TERM
Aug 01 10:46:31 brass systemd[1]: synergy.service: Failed with result 'timeout'.
Aug 01 10:46:31 brass systemd[1]: Failed to start synergy.service - Synergy 3 Login service.
Aug 01 10:48:35 brass systemd[1]: /etc/systemd/system/synergy.service:7: Standard output type syslog is obsolete, automatically updating to journal. Please update your unit file, and consider removing the setting altog>
Aug 01 10:48:35 brass systemd[1]: /etc/systemd/system/synergy.service:8: Standard output type syslog is obsolete, automatically updating to journal. Please update your unit file, and consider removing the setting altog>
Aug 01 10:48:36 brass systemd[1]: /etc/systemd/system/synergy.service:7: Standard output type syslog is obsolete, automatically updating to journal. Please update your unit file, and consider removing the setting altog>
Aug 01 10:48:36 brass systemd[1]: /etc/systemd/system/synergy.service:8: Standard output type syslog is obsolete, automatically updating to journal. Please update your unit file, and consider removing the setting altog>
Aug 01 10:48:37 brass systemd[1]: /etc/systemd/system/synergy.service:7: Standard output type syslog is obsolete, automatically updating to journal. Please update your unit file, and consider removing the setting altog>
Aug 01 10:48:37 brass systemd[1]: /etc/systemd/system/synergy.service:8: Standard output type syslog is obsolete, automatically updating to journal. Please update your unit file, and consider removing the setting altog>

~ took 10s
x cat /etc/systemd/system/synergy.service
[Unit]
Description=Synergy 3 Login service

[Service]
ExecStartPre=/opt/Synergy/resources/services/system/loginLauncherPre.sh
ExecStart=/opt/Synergy/resources/services/system/loginLauncher.sh
StandardOutput=syslog
StandardError=syslog

[Install]
WantedBy=graphical.target

looks like those two shell scripts are hanging: 

> cat /opt/Synergy/resources/services/system/loginLauncher.sh
#!/usr/bin/env bash

source /etc/Synergy/loginInfo

if [ -z "$ARGS" ]; then
    echo "Login agent is disabled"
else
    /opt/Synergy/synergy-core $ARGS
fi

~
> cat /etc/Synergy/loginInfo

~
> cat /opt/Synergy/resources/services/system/loginLauncherPre.sh
#!/usr/bin/env bash

GDM_ID=$(id -u gdm)

while [ ! -f "/var/run/user/$GDM_ID/gdm/Xauthority" ]; do
    sleep 1;
done

/bin/systemctl set-environment XAUTHORITY="/var/run/user/$GDM_ID/gdm/Xauthority"

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2023 at 8:15 AM, Sebastien said:

Hi there,

Since I have posted proof that Synergy 3 DOES NOT work on Fedora 38.

Can you please post proof of your claims that Synergy 3 runs on Fedora 38.