Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

synergy connection failed check the ip address on the server your tls and firewall settings

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This could simply be a matter of using the wrong port number.

On the client & the server side, click "Preferences" for each and make sure the port numbers match. 

• 1 month later...
ruanpelissoli

I'm facing the same issue, everything was working fine until I had to reset my router and the connection broke.

My setup are two windows 11 machines.

One laptop connected through wifi (server) and on desktop using cable (client).

Synergy version: 1.14.6-snapshot-88fdd263

• 1 month later...

I am having this same issue.  My ports are entered the same on client and server, and the IP address has been entered correctly on the client.  That leaves the TLS or firewall if the error message is correct.  I don't know how to trouble-shoot this.  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Can we please have this thread removed? The slack seems to only be able to be joined if we're at symless.

This has taken hours of me trying to troubleshoot - check firewall settings? What, exactly, should the firewall settings be? I can't find anything on the site about these

A critical step is missing in the install guide. You need to click "Start" button on Synergy server configuration window to start it. Otherwise, your Synergy client can't connect to it, and you see timeout issue on your client.   

• Like 1
  • Synergy Team
Daniel Evenson

@adamlove You should be able to join our Slack channel without a Symless email.

Reposting link in case that is helpful - Slack

We also have a Discord channel.

For the thread overall, I should mention that connection issues can be caused by a number of reasons. A few top things to check:

1. Make sure both computers are connected to the same local LAN network.
2. Double check the IP of the server computer (which is entered in to Synergy on the client computer).
3. Perform a ping test, this will establish if the computers can communicate with each other across the LAN network.
4. If ping test is successful, it's likely related to firewall. Next step to to see if it is firewall related by disabling the firewall entirely on both server and client (if comfortable doing so), and then try to connect Synergy. If it does, then it's an indication that firewall rules for Synergy need to be added or modified.

• 4 weeks later...

A step is missing in the steps, you need to click the start and apply button on the server in order to connect, I had same issue but resolved it by clicking apply button and reconnected again on client

• Synergy Team
Daniel Evenson

Good spot 😀

We have addressed this issue in Synergy 3 Beta, where the core will start automatically (ie. not stop/start button). The beta is now available to all customers via our download page.

Glad to hear you resolved the connection issue!

I ran into this a lot with Avast Antivirus and Firewall "SmartMode" blocking the traffic.  Had to make an exception for it to work properly.  Just seemed like sometimes SmartMode got a wild hair 😕

• 2 weeks later...
  • Synergy Team
Daniel Evenson

Did Avast/Smartmode block the Synergy core incoming connection request (ie. from the client computer), or perhaps both?

• 2 months later...

The Slack link is telling me I don't have an account on that slack, which I do not. 

Synergy was working great to connect my personal and work laptops (both MacOS) until earlier this week. I for a very long time had my personal laptop as the server. Then I started getting this "Check your TLS and firewall rules" connection error. I have checked both systems, my work laptop has a firewall set up (like it has for a long time) that doesn't have any rules to prevent synergy through, though it does prevent ping. My personal laptop has no firewall on it. I am definitely on the same wifi network.

I have:

- checked the firewalls (as seen above)

- restarted synergy

- restarted my laptops

- restarted my wifi router

- downloaded the latest version of synergy on both, installing as well

- I always start the server first, wait a few seconds, then start the client side

At some point I was able to get the work laptop to work as the server and connect from the personal laptop as a client, but this is not ideal for other reasons for me, so I tried to switch it back this morning ... now neither will work as the server (even though it was JUST CONNECTED as the work mastering!)

I'm at a loss at this point.

Edited by gwenix
  • 2 months later...

My set up was relatively easy - and has been working now for a few months.  Now I am getting a TLS/Firewall error for no reason (I have not made any changes to my NW or either system).  I walked through the trouble-shooting above and nothing seems to work.  This went from "the best thing since sliced bread" to a "total waste of my day" - I should just buy another keyboard and be done with it.  And the link to the download and the expectation that we have to remove all old versions and start from scratch is BS.  Why can't this company update a software release like everyone else...?  Zero stars...

Edited by HighBeam