Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Client disconnected after "WARNING: Failed to determine current keyboard layout" message.

iamtheratio

I have a Desktop PC at home that is the server and my work laptop which is a client. If I'm working on the work laptop and hold down backspace, left arrow key, or basically any key longer than a second Synergy drops the connection. I have to then move my mouse that was teleported to my Desktop PC back over to my work screen, click, and resume typing.

This is incredibly annoying and I'm not sure if the new 1.14.2 application started the issue or upgrading to Windows 11. 

Synergy logs:
[2022-01-26T08:19:04] WARNING: Failed to determine current keyboard layout
[2022-01-26T08:19:04] WARNING: Failed to determine current keyboard layout
[2022-01-26T08:19:05] NOTE: client "WORK-LAPTOP" has disconnected

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

iamtheratio
3 hours ago, BullRiver said:

I am also having the same issue, which requires me to drop from a VPN to re-establish communication with my remote PC.

Oof, that's even worse. I tried to download the previous version of Synergy 1 but the downloads page only shows Synergy 2 in the "Version" drop down at the bottom of the page. Sigh... maybe google will provide this for me.

iamtheratio

I opened up a service ticket and this was resolved for me.

Resolution:
Make sure ALL versions of Synergy on each client/server are upgraded to 1.14.2 and it will resolve this issue. 

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
anthonypants

Using 1.14.2, just typing normally on a macOS client will produce the "Failed to determine current keyboard layout" error on a Windows 10 server.

• Like 1
jakejakejake

I have this same issue. Windows 10 as the Server and Ubuntu 20.04 as the client. It works for a little bit, then I get this error. Then I have to restart the Service under windows task manager to reconnect. Both versions are 1.14.2-stable-c6918b74.

jakejakejake

[2022-02-27T11:22:06] WARNING: Failed to determine current keyboard layout

[2022-02-27T11:23:18] WARNING: Failed to determine current keyboard layout

[2022-02-27T11:23:20] WARNING: Failed to determine current keyboard layout

[2022-02-27T11:23:24] WARNING: Failed to determine current keyboard layout

[2022-02-27T11:23:25] WARNING: Failed to determine current keyboard layout

[2022-02-27T11:23:26] WARNING: Failed to determine current keyboard layout

[2022-02-27T11:23:26] WARNING: Failed to determine current keyboard layout

[2022-02-27T11:23:27] WARNING: Failed to determine current keyboard layout

[2022-02-27T11:23:27] WARNING: Failed to determine current keyboard layout

[2022-02-27T11:23:40] WARNING: Failed to determine current keyboard layout

[2022-02-27T11:23:41] WARNING: Failed to determine current keyboard layout

[2022-02-27T11:23:42] WARNING: Failed to determine current keyboard layout

[2022-02-27T11:23:42] WARNING: Failed to determine current keyboard layout

[2022-02-27T11:23:43] WARNING: Failed to determine current keyboard layout

Same thing. Happened again.

Failed to determine current keyboard layout.png

• 2 weeks later...
Captain-Fracas

With the old free version of Synergy, I didn't have this issue. This is a shame that the the payed version is less functioning that the free old one. 

jakejakejake

I have an email thread opened with Symless support. This is from the email and maybe worth a try. I still have the issue but this is the only thing they have asked me to try so far:

What happens when you disable language Synchronization in the preferences menu.
 To do this go to preferences and uncheck The check box that is labeled "Use servers keyboard language on this machine".
 If it is already unchecked then re-check it, click save then go back and uncheck it, and then save again.

• 2 weeks later...
SquishyBot01

From Server: Edit > Preferences > Advanced (bottom) > Set 'Elevate Privileges' to Always (default is prompt) > Save 

This cleared up the log "Failed to determine current keyboard layout"

Doing this does not prompt UAC on the server or client. Nor does it interfere when you run a UAC (admin rights) for an app on a client machine - eventually the server will reconnect to the client allowing to interact with the admin prompt. 

Edited by SquishyBot01
adding more info
  • 5 months later...

Seeing this on Synergy 1.14.5 with an up-to-date windows system on Sept 21st as well.  This causes the dvorak keyboard to revert to qwerty when switching into a Mac and back.  Mac is also running the same (most recent) version and OS. 

Warning only shows on Windows.

This makes using Synergy unbearable in my experience.

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue for 4 month now. Until now I just lived with it and thought it is the VM that is running on the client. But... itäs actuallz sznergz (there the problem is again). Damn, it switches the whole szstem from english to german kezboard lazout! Several times a daz!

Today it happened after I used Crtl+C to copy paste something from server to client. Ctrl+C did not work and the keyboard layout/language setting on windows changed.

Please don't touch synergy 1. It is/was just perfect, even without a full webbrowser with blinking UI. Please let the JavaScript guys migrate some other software, but not synergy :(.

jakejakejake

@Epoxian Did you try "disable language Synchronization in the preferences menu"? 

I have not used synergy for a while now as I migrated to a different system so I am not sure if this would still happen to me. Good luck. 

• 8 months later...
alansterger

I receive "WARNING: Failed to determine current keyboard layout" message on Synergy server (Windows 10 - using PS/2 keyboard) at startup, before connecting to client.

Any fix for this?