Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

System Hotkeys issues - Windows server Mac client

I'm running Synergy with Windows server and Mac client.

My problem is certain system hotkeys such as Ctrl + Alt + Delete or Windows + L will activate even when Mouse isn't on Windows side. It's very annoying to want to change browser url on Mac with Windows key + L (Command + L on Mac) then the Windows server machine will lock and Synergy would lose connection entirely.

Any idea how to fix this? I didn't have this issue before and it only happened after I moved and needed to change server IP on Windows machine. I didn't touch any other settings.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

You can change some settings on your client for you to use CTRL+ALT+PAUSE BREAK. Changing some settings on your Windows client is needed in order to get this to work. No settings needs to be changed on the server side. First, in Synergy, 'Elevate Mode' must be checked on the Edit -> Settings dialog. Additionally, some Windows settings needs to be changed as follows:

1. Hit Windows Key + R to print up the Run dialog and type gpedit.msc 
  2. Go to the Local Group Policy Editor (Type gpedit.msc in the run menu)
  3. Dig down to Computer Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> Windows Components --> Windows Logon Options
  4. Open up the Disable or enable software Secure Attention Sequence option
  5. Set it to Enabled and then select Services and Ease of Access applications below, click OK

You should now be able to issue a Ctrl+Alt+Del to Windows over Synergy while on the lock screen. Note: Sometimes the Ctrl and Alt keys stick, just press them each once to un-stick them.

On Windows servers, Ctrl+Alt+Del is always intercepted by Windows and is never passed to Synergy. We have implemented Ctrl+Alt+Pause/Break as a workaround, which will send a Ctrl+Alt+Del sequence across to the client. Note that the cursor must still be moved over to the client system for this to work.

There's an additional entry in our FAQ about this here.