Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Synergy client as second screen when using remote desktop

I have Synergy server installed on Bionicpup laptop and client on a Tahrpup laptop (could be switched to Bionicpup as well if it makes a difference).

This works fine.

My question is if it is possible to use Synergy client as a second screen while using rdesktop to connect to a third computer (headless Win machine). I can easily use rdesktop on Synergy server machine and use Synergy client as a normal but I would like both synergy server and client to be part of the same rdesktop session (or whatever it might be called)

What I would like to do is the equivalent of using rdesktop with a multiple monitor setting the way it works if i had two monitors connected to the Synergy server machine.

In the two monitor setup, if would use something like:

xrandr --output HDMI1 --mode 1024x768 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal --output LVDS1 --mode 1360x768 --pos 1024x0 --rotate normal --output VIRTUAL1 --off --output DP1 --off --output VGA1 --off

then I would connect to the Win headless like this:

rdesktop -f -r sound -r disk "ip address"

Is there a way to accomplish the same thing with a Synergy server and client?

If so, how?

I am pretty much a Ubuntu/Linux newbie so any help would be appreciated.

Btw, I put in a ticket about this and i got a really fast response indicating that it would be possible as long as I can ping both machines. Unfortunately, while  I very much appreciate that response, I don't know enough to know what to do with that information so I would need some more detailed step by step instructions for how to get it done.

Regards,

Tom