Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Delay between screen transitions

Jereme Guenther

I recently ran into an issue where, after reboot, I started experiencing a long delay of 10 - 20 seconds each time I tried to transition the mouse between my two Windows 10 systems.  I have been using Synergy 2 since it was originally created, even after development was stopped on it.

My first assumption was that some windows update must have finally caused a problem for Synergy 2 and I needed to go back to the actively developed Synergy 1.  However, after struggling through the known issues with the Synergy 1 install, it is having the exact same delay issue that Synergy 2 was having.

With Synergy one I do have the Log screen I can watch, and both the client and the server instantly recognize that a transition is taking place.  And within the first 10 - 20 seconds, until the mouse appears visible on the destination screen I can pull it back onto the existing machine just fine with no delay.  And it takes time to drag it back onto the source machine just as if it were going across the destination machines screen, however there is no visual on the destination screen, and nothing on the destination machine responds to clicks during this period.

I have tried turning off TLS.  I have tried enabling relative mouse moves.  Neither seem to make a difference.  I have also made sure that the network between the machines does not drop packets and is <1ms in delay; the instant recognition by both the server and the client machines in the Log that a transition is taking place also indicates that the network is not the issue.

I have experienced a similar delay in Synergy 2 whenever I copy a large screenshot and Synergy is likely copying the file between machines.  However, in this case I am not copying any large files or screenshots.  There is an ERROR in the log saying "Failed to get desktop path, no drop target available, error=2", it does not seem like this should affect things, it did not a year ago when I used to use Synergy 1, but perhaps a bug has been introduced.

I'm open to ideas at this point, because now neither Synergy 1 or 2 work, and I can't find older versions to roll back to.

Jereme Guenther

Interesting update.

Reboots yesterday did not alleviate the issue.  However, the server machine is set to suspend itself each night, and this morning after it woke up Synergy had completely lost it's connection and was unable to re-connect.  ( I assume this is another bug I am going to have to start living with now )  But when I clicked the Apply button in the configure app, it reset the connection with the client, and things started working correctly.

So at least for today, it is working again back on Synergy 1.

Jereme Guenther

Things appear to still be working good.  The synergy 1 server must have had a glitch this morning because it lost connection from the client.  I clicked the Apply button on the server and it restarted the service, then the client was able to connect again.

So at this point it looks like things are running good.  Just back to the normal bugs in the synergy software.

Jereme Guenther

Another update.  This new issue of having to click the Apply button is now happening every time my is left unattended for several hours at a time.

The server system is supposed to go to seep after a couple of hours, but as near as I can tell that is not actually happening anymore.  It used to work just fine.

Jereme Guenther

It seems no one actually monitors these forums.  For for others who come here looking for answers, here is yet another update.

Synergy 1 appears to lose connection whenever the server locks itself.  I have to open the GUI application and click the Apply button to get it to allow clients to connect back to itself.  After doing that things work correctly until the next time the servers screen is locked.

• 2 weeks later...
Kelvin Tran

@Jereme Guenther I'm super sorry for your 4 posts before a reply! I myself am not super active here, this is the first time in a while that I've hopped on here.

I've read through your four posts. I'm sorry to ask this of you, but could you please provide a post summarizing where you're at right now and what (if anything) you still need help with? From what I understand, the Synergy client locking itself after the server going to sleep is normal. Windows (and as a matter of fact, most operating systems) shuts down open sockets and network connections when it goes to sleep as part of its power-saving measures because it's effectively shutting down the NIC.

Once again, I'm sorry for the extremely late forum response. If you ever need a speedier response in the future, please do not hesitate to use the help links found here: https://symless.com/help

Jereme Guenther

Hi Kelvin,

I usually prefer using forums because it is likely lots of other people are having similar issues, and watching troubleshooting and solutions can really help others out in a way that one on one support really fails to do.

I stopped posting here because a new version of Synergy was just released and the bug fixes in it indicate that they might address problems similar to the one I am having.  I just have not had time to upgrade to the most recent version yet.

Currently Synergy still loses connection every time my windows 10 server locks itself, and Synergy does not seem to recover on its own without manual intervention.  If it does recover then it must take several minutes, time which I am not willing to wait.  So for the moment I just keep an instance of the Synergy config tool running all the time, and I click the Apply button immediately after logging into the server which fixes the problem until the next screen lock.

• 3 weeks later...
Jereme Guenther

I finally got myself updated to the latest version 1.11 about a week ago.

The problem still exists, only with a slight twist now.  My guess is that because of the new feature that prevents the mouse from leaving the screen if it can't return I have noticed something new.

When the server screen is locked and no enter password prompt is displayed, then the mouse works fine across both screens, and if left on the client machine continues to work fine.  As soon as the password prompt is displayed the mouse is locked to the server screen, so far so good.

However, the issue of the client being disconnected still exists when the server gets locked.  It does not happen every time though.  I have not yet determined if leaving the mouse on the client screen during lockout is what keeps the client alive when it works correctly, but that will be my next test.