Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Guide for autostarting Synergy on MacOS before login

I'd like to be able to restart my Mac without having a keyboard and mouse attached at all, so I'd need Synergy running before and after login, with copy & paste working.

When searching the internet, the only replies I found were from a decade ago. Does anyone have a current guide?

Daniel Alarcon

@slapkey

Synergy 1 doesn't have a built-in auto-start feature on macOS (unlike Windows). We have added an auto-start feature to Synergy 2 Beta for all operating systems (Windows, macOS, and Linux) but don't we don't plan to add this to Synergy 1.

There is a manual way to do it though. Simply right-click on the Synergy icon in your dock, click Options, then click Open at Login. Does that work for you?

Just tried this option, and it does work after login. Unfortunately that does mean that on any reboot I still need a keyboard attached to do that first login, since I won't remove the password. 

Kelvin Tran
3 hours ago, slapkey said:

Just tried this option, and it does work after login. Unfortunately that does mean that on any reboot I still need a keyboard attached to do that first login, since I won't remove the password. 

Apple's very picky about services that start before the login prompt, especially if you have Gatekeeper enabled. This is for a very sensible reason, unlike a lot of the other things that they do - let the wrong application run before you login, and it could keylog your user/system password.

There are ways to auto-logon your machine, however, if you want a middle ground between finding a keyboard to type in your password every time you need to log on and removing the password entirely. However, because I don't remember this off the top of my head, you'll either have to Google search it yourself or rely on one of our other forum members to help you out. I look forward to your reply.

• 3 years later...

Was this resolved? 

Now Oct 2022, MacOS 12.6. 

Would like to know how to autostart prior to Login to avoid plugging in a keyboard just to enter password. 

The comment above to make start at login doesn't help before login. 

It's mentioned this feature is added to Version 2.... which appears to be in Beta.

Can Mac Users participate in Beta test and obtain a Version 2. 

Thanks,

Doug 

• 7 months later...