Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Synergy 2 - Microsoft Remote Desktop on Mac, No Shift Keys

Hello,

This is an issue on version 1 also, but I figured I'd post it here.  I have two Mac's that I share a keyboard / mouse between.  If I go to the second Mac which I am using Synergy to control the keyboard and Mouse, and I try to run Microsoft Remote Desktop to access a Windows box over an RDP session, the shift keys do not work.  If I use the keyboard from that machine it is fine.  The Shift keys just do not work within Microsoft Remote Desktop RDP session when you try to use them through Synergy.  This happens with the old version of Synergy and older versions of Microsoft Remote Desktop.  As a result, if I use Microsoft Remote Desktop, I need to use an actual keyboard if I expect to use the Shift Keys.  They shift key works fine within the admin screens of Microsoft Remote Desktop, just not inside of the RDP session.  VNC, OSX Screen Share, everything else is fine but RDP within Microsoft Remote Desktop.  Anyone have an ideas?

This issue occurs on Mojave and High Sierra, 

Osxster

• 11 months later...

I am a brand new Synergy user (had it installed and running for about a week) and I've just enchanted this EXACT SAME PROBLEM. Same circumstances, same situation. I have two Macs and I'm sharing a bluetooth keyboard and mouse between them. On the second Mac, (the "client" Mac), I run Microsoft RDP for Mac to connect to a Windows machine. In the session, the Shift keys aren't being recognized--in fact, I think it's all modifiers, including Control and Option. The problem happens regardless of whether I'm using v8 or v10 of the RDP software. The problem does NOT happen if I run the RDP session on the first mac (the "server" Mac). The problem also does not happen if I use the keyboard that is physically attached to the second Mac.

The OP posted about this problem on May 14, 2019, and today as I write this is is May 13, 2020, so this problem has been known about for a year. Is any progress being made on a fix?

-jlanter

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I have this issue with MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 with the most recent versions of Synergy 1 and 2 at the time of this post.

I'm sharing keyboard and mouse from a PC to a Mac, which works fine... Until I connect to an RDP session on the mac, at which point modifier keys stop working. Shift, Ctrl, Alt, etc... don't work on the remote computer through the Microsoft Remote Desktop app on Mac.

This makes it basically impossible to RDP from within the existing RDP session or enter any kind of passwords with capital letters. 

Edited by jgstew
  • 3 weeks later...

I have the same issue as well. PC server, mac client, mac is running Microsoft Remote Desktop to connect to a different PC and no modifier keys work.

Is there anything I can gather/reproduce to troubleshoot this further?

• 1 month later...

Same as above - PC Windows 10 latest server, Mac client running BigSur.  Running any RDP client has the same issue - control and alt do not work.

• 3 months later...

On version 1, this is still a problem that exists on Amazon Workspaces also (https://github.com/symless/synergy-core/issues/5639)

Do we have any ETA, or is this something that Synergy will not try to fix?

Without this, Synergy does not fulfill the requirements and makes people find alternatives (e.g., ShareMouse).

Thank you.

• 2 months later...

Also experiencing this exact issue.  Running Synergy v1 with a Windows PC as server, and a macbook pro laptop as client.  When trying to use Microsoft RDP on the macbook, shift and control do not work in the RDP session.

• 2 weeks later...
Marcel E Lopez

I am running PC as server and macOS as a client. I use RDP on the Mac and with version 1.14.2 the shift and control keys work in RDP now. Problem is that my F keys stopped working on macOS and I used them to switch between my macOS desktop and the RDP client.

• Like 1
On 11/24/2021 at 8:39 AM, Marcel E Lopez said:

I am running PC as server and macOS as a client. I use RDP on the Mac and with version 1.14.2 the shift and control keys work in RDP now. Problem is that my F keys stopped working on macOS and I used them to switch between my macOS desktop and the RDP client.

I am also having this same issue. Can you CTRL with right and left arrow to change between desktops. 

Marcel E Lopez

I just set hot corners so that I can use the mouse to switch from RDP to desktop. That’s the only work around I’ve come up with. I’ll the the CTRL one and update this post.

Just to confirm that i have the same issue. But if I use the MAC keyboard all works fine, even the external one. But with my logitech g915, shift key doesn't work,

• Nick Bolton changed the title to Synergy 2 - Microsoft Remote Desktop on Mac, No Shift Keys