Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Delay in cursor move around Windows login

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. 

I've been trying to stick with Synergy 1 as Synergy 2 has been perpetually in beta. Maybe it would be fine. But, it generally works pretty well except for this one annoyance. I was hoping the detailed writeup my help someone fix it. Maybe some day!

• 2 weeks later...
Jamie Newbon

Hi all

Just spent some time reading through all the posts. 

@Mike Van Pelt has it right. when windows locks, applications that want to run or interact on that screen require administrative privileges. Synergy tries to follow the rule of running with the least permissions required and while a user is logged in admin rights are not needed. However when the user locks the computer the program cannot just elevate itself. Something to do with Microsoft's handles. So instead the program restarts with the required permissions and the reconnection with clients takes a bit of time to happen. 

What you can try is setting synergy to require elevation Always  in the settings and see if that helps with the issue. It just means synergy will always run as administrator from then on.

Jamie

MRiechma

I don't know how I could have missed that setting, but the moment I turned it to "Always", I have yet to have it kick me off after requesting admin rights. THANK YOU for pointing this out to me, as I was just frustrated enough to give up on it.

Side note: This post was started on Feb 8th 2019, and it is now July 1st . . . Synergy support needs to pay more attention to its forums! This could have been resolved within the first few days if someone had just pointed this out in the beginning. PLEASE ADD THIS INFORMATION TO YOUR FAQ!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by MRiechma

Works for me too! Thanks so much for the workaround! Changing the "Elevate" setting to "Always" fixes this completely. 

Rob

• 9 months later...
On 6/14/2019 at 1:29 PM, Mike Van Pelt said:

Nice analysis, RobS!

It's not just at login/logout/screen lock -- it's the same behavior any time a request for administrator password is made -- disconnect for five seconds before and after.

I also recall not having the issue on Synergy 2, but the occasional "can't connect to Synergy Central" issue eventually drove me back.  I just prefer setting up my display config manually.  Work has since gone VPN crazy, so I might have other issues getting Synergy 2 to work now, but I haven't tried it.  I find Synergy 1 plenty good enough for my needs now.

Yes, this is still happening with Synergy 1.  My setup is currently just two Win 10 Pro PC's both are updated to 1909, build 18363.720.

Been having this issue for months, finally had a few minutes to try and find an answer... I don't see one :( 

Basic Server Log when I try to switch to the client PC to login:

https://pastebin.com/JQnUBEbW

Mike Van Pelt

Tom F:   Check out Jamie's posting above.   I set Synergy to "require elevation Always"  in the settings, and this problem completely went away.  I thought there was some discussion about how this fixed the "delay when anything requiring admin" issue, but I don't see it here.   Maybe it was in another topic.