Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

[Question] Have both version installed

Hello, 

Is it possible to install both versions (1 and 2) on all OS?, asking because i would like to try version 2 and report bugs. but i would also like to have th stability that version 1 has so in the case it craps out i can switch back to version 1 without too much complication...

i think i could make it work (having both versions on mac and linux) but not so sure on windows

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Kelvin Tran
On 11/15/2018 at 8:37 PM, gcalderon said:

Hello, 

Is it possible to install both versions (1 and 2) on all OS?, asking because i would like to try version 2 and report bugs. but i would also like to have th stability that version 1 has so in the case it craps out i can switch back to version 1 without too much complication...

i think i could make it work (having both versions on mac and linux) but not so sure on windows

Thanks!

Yes, in theory, you can have both installed at once.

There are stipulations, however.

Firstly, no Synergy processes can start at start-up. The reason for this is that processes like the Synergy daemon and synergy-service have been modified in S2. As such, mixing-and-matching processes for both versions won't be good. Plus, there's bound to be some network conflicts if you have both versions start-up and run at once.

Therefore, a manual start, stop, and/or restart of any Synergy process would be required.

The second stipulation is closely related to the first, which is that you can only test one version at once and you'd have to be extremely cautious to kill the other processes when you are looking to switch versions.

The Synergy team, however, has not and will not endorse the active installation of two Synergy branches on one system because of how high maintenance it can become. If it is a production environment where stability matters, we recommend that you only use the stable branch as alpha software has some inherent risks that it carries along with it.