Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Synergy 2 Feedback - Easier to setup

MarkPuchalaii

Last time I tried Synergy 1, I didn't have the networking knowledge to establish any kind of connection.

Synergy 2 didn't always work, but when it did, I recall only having to adjust settings on my machine, not through the Synergy App.

Thus, I've only ever kept to using Synergy 2, and I REALLY don't feel confident in ever trying out Synergy 1 again.

• Like 1
Kelvin Tran
10 hours ago, MarkPuchalaii said:

Last time I tried Synergy 1, I didn't have the networking knowledge to establish any kind of connection.

Synergy 2 didn't always work, but when it did, I recall only having to adjust settings on my machine, not through the Synergy App.

Thus, I've only ever kept to using Synergy 2, and I REALLY don't feel confident in ever trying out Synergy 1 again.

Synergy 1, though relatively more complicated when compared to Synergy 2's relatively simple UX, shouldn't take extensive "networking knowledge". What is the issue that you're having?

Also, in trying to predict a thread, I've split this away from Nick's announcement.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

@Kelvin Tran Sometimes what seems really simple to an experienced technical person (network configuration in this case) can be hellishly complex to someone else. It's a perception that most technical people seem to suffer with, and it's one of the things I struggle with when hiring software engineers.

@MarkPuchalaii You raise some really good points, and this is exactly the problem that Synergy 2 Beta attempts to solve, but we still have a long way to go and we need to make our app more stable and more versatile for technical people (as well as helping networking newbies). To the future!

Kelvin Tran
15 hours ago, Nick Bolton said:

@Kelvin Tran Sometimes what seems really simple to an experienced technical person (network configuration in this case) can be hellishly complex to someone else. It's a perception that most technical people seem to suffer with, and it's one of the things I struggle with when hiring software engineers.

@MarkPuchalaii You raise some really good points, and this is exactly the problem that Synergy 2 Beta attempts to solve, but we still have a long way to go and we need to make our app more stable and more versatile for technical people (as well as helping networking newbies). To the future!

Fair enough.

• 2 weeks later...
MarkPuchalaii

Sorry for such a late response in this.

I've always had strange issues with Synergy due to trying to use it in public cafes.

I converted to Synergy 2 because it works at home, though it still doesn't work at cafes - though it does work once in a blue moon.

When I tried to use Synergy 1, it would always just give an error of the two machines being unable to find each other, whether I was home or not.

• 3 weeks later...
Jan Peterson

It likely doesn't work on public WiFi networks because they probably have AP Isolation turned on.  This means that the various machines on the network can't talk to each other... they can only talk to the wireless access point(s) ... the WiFi routers.  Unfortunately, this is not something that you are likely to be able to change on such networks.  Your home network probably has AP Isolation turned off.

• 2 months later...
Kelvin Tran
On 8/27/2018 at 4:47 PM, Jan Peterson said:

It likely doesn't work on public WiFi networks because they probably have AP Isolation turned on.  This means that the various machines on the network can't talk to each other... they can only talk to the wireless access point(s) ... the WiFi routers.  Unfortunately, this is not something that you are likely to be able to change on such networks.  Your home network probably has AP Isolation turned off.

Most likely the issue.

Could also be the differing DNS suffix. S2 uses hostnames, so even without AP isolation, it'd probably still not work because it'd be trying to contact the other machine using an incorrect DNS name.

• Kelvin Tran unpinned this topic