Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Interesting windows (bad) behavior - undocking causes lockup

Robert Krpoun

Running Windows 10 laptop with a dock and multiple monitors.  V2 works perfectly... Except:

If I undock and go down to ONLY having the built-in screen, the system will lock up about 2-3 minutes after boot.  I tested EXTENSIVELY (I'm in IT support), with all combinations of external monitors, with/without internet, with/without dock (external monitor plugged directly into laptop), etc etc.

Took FOREVER but once I figured it out, I can reproduce with 100% consistency.

I'm running a Dell Latitude 7280, T16 dock, latest drivers, BOIS and firmwares that can be found, Windows 10 x64 1803, Synergy 2.0.12-beta.

My workaround: I changed Synergy's service to Manual start, so when I am undocked, it is not running and all is good, and when I am docked I can just fire it up manually and it is smooth as buttah.  Fortunately, when I am un-docked I don't need Synergy, so that is not an issue. It might be for someone else, though...

Oh, and the nature of the "lock" was that no matter what I did or did not have open, after 2-3 minutes the screen and mouse would freeze and Nothing would give a response... ctl-alt-del, etc. Holding down power button was only thing available.

Kelvin Tran
5 hours ago, Robert Krpoun said:

Running Windows 10 laptop with a dock and multiple monitors.  V2 works perfectly... Except:

If I undock and go down to ONLY having the built-in screen, the system will lock up about 2-3 minutes after boot.  I tested EXTENSIVELY (I'm in IT support), with all combinations of external monitors, with/without internet, with/without dock (external monitor plugged directly into laptop), etc etc.

Took FOREVER but once I figured it out, I can reproduce with 100% consistency.

I'm running a Dell Latitude 7280, T16 dock, latest drivers, BOIS and firmwares that can be found, Windows 10 x64 1803, Synergy 2.0.12-beta.

My workaround: I changed Synergy's service to Manual start, so when I am undocked, it is not running and all is good, and when I am docked I can just fire it up manually and it is smooth as buttah.  Fortunately, when I am un-docked I don't need Synergy, so that is not an issue. It might be for someone else, though...

Oh, and the nature of the "lock" was that no matter what I did or did not have open, after 2-3 minutes the screen and mouse would freeze and Nothing would give a response... ctl-alt-del, etc. Holding down power button was only thing available.

Seeing as you're in IT support, what do you think is the underlying (root) cause of the issue?

Let's speculate together. Judging from the results of your extensive and comprehensive experimentation, I believe that the underlying issue is that with such a sudden change in peripherals and monitor configuration, there may be an underlying issue with Synergy's handling of hardware hot-swapping and driver support that is creating a scenario where Synergy initiates a driver/hardware call through the system and it creates a situation where no valid response can be given due to Synergy performing that call for hardware that is no longer connected. That's what I think the issue is. Thanks for being diligent and reporting the issue along with your testing!

Robert Krpoun

That seems perfectly reasonable. Looking for hardware that isn't there would definitely make 'bad things' happen.

To be honest, I was not as thorough as I should have been: I did NOT do a hot unplug... always powered off first.  That is the scenario I was concerned with... I shut down for the day at work, undock, go home, power up without a dock and crashola.

I will try a hot change of hardware next chance I get.

Edited by Robert Krpoun
Robert Krpoun

Something just occured to me: Windows 10's "shutdown" isn't really a "shutdown" if you have "fast startup" enabled... which I do.
I am going to turn it off and see what happens the next time I shut down.

Robert Krpoun

NEVERMIND-

I am an idiot, my lockups had NOTHING to do with Synergy.  The battery on my laptop is failing, and causes crashes when not plugged in to AC.  Power was being provided by docking station, and my testing methodology SUCKED, so I missed the correllation between power and crashes.  Tested Synergy docked and undocked and it works GREAT... as long as I'm not on battery.  

Ignore me!  Ignore this thread!  Sorry!!!!!

Kelvin Tran
23 minutes ago, Robert Krpoun said:

NEVERMIND-

I am an idiot, my lockups had NOTHING to do with Synergy.  The battery on my laptop is failing, and causes crashes when not plugged in to AC.  Power was being provided by docking station, and my testing methodology SUCKED, so I missed the correllation between power and crashes.  Tested Synergy docked and undocked and it works GREAT... as long as I'm not on battery.  

Ignore me!  Ignore this thread!  Sorry!!!!!

Ah. Glad to hear that you've found your issue, even if it means ordering a new battery.