Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Synergy 1.9 for Ubuntu 18.04 against libcurl4

Adding my vote as well. This prevents me from installing Virtualbox while Synergy is installed, since Virtualbox wants libcurl4.

Please fix that. If creates conflict with curl, PHP and Steam on my system. It prevent me from having those applications with Synergy installed. It would be nice if you could distribute Synergy as snap package. You could stay with libcurl3 if you wish and not cause any future issues with outdated libraries because snap allows installing libs specific for your app so there is no conflict with other applications. If you have any problem with converting to snap I would highly recommend to give a shout to Martin Wimpress, he is always very kin on helping converting pretty much everything to snaps.

• Like 1

I run Ubuntu 18.04 and I was not able to get the binary package installed either.  I was also not able to initially to get the source package built using the instructions in the linked wiki, because the cmake file uses `git --rev-parse` to determine a variable called SYNERGY_REVISION.  It checks this for being a valid 8-byte hexidecimal value as well, so you need to use something that looks like a git commit hash.  I got it built by following the pre-install guide for linux/ubuntu systems and then calling:

cmake -D SYNERGY_REVISION=deadbeef . && make

From here you can use make install or checkinstall or try to fiddle with debian/rules.

I was not very familiar with cmake so I hope this helps anyone else out who is having trouble.

rayrayrayraydog

I ended up working around this issue by building synergy-core from a recent git repo snapshot for both Ubuntu and Win10.  This is not the solution for everyone but it has been working well enough.  The build steps published in the forum here are not quite up to date.  If you build 2.0 you don't need Qt and on the Windows side I was able to compile it just fine with msbuild shipped with VS Community 2017.

friendpig

Please do this - Synergy 1 is now the "recommended" Synergy. I just uninstalled Synergy 2 on my machines only to find that Synergy 1 cannot be installed on my Ubuntu machine, as I've upgraded to 18.04.

friendpig
13 minutes ago, friendpig said:

Please do this - Synergy 1 is now the "recommended" Synergy. I just uninstalled Synergy 2 on my machines only to find that Synergy 1 cannot be installed on my Ubuntu machine, as I've upgraded to 18.04.

Furthermore by compiling synergy-core myself, I cannot find a way to use SSL for my connection, so even this is not an adequate workaround.

rayrayrayraydog

Oh, that's true...the lack of encryption is a big problem.  I use SSH tunnels for Synergy traffic just like people did in the oooold days and have a simple two system setup (cygwin on Windows). 

dogslife

Good news.  I posted this request to Symless support and they've got a fix. I'm sure Nick will be posting the news soon.