Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Synergy 2 is back to beta

Cheryl Lomedico

I have reverted back to version 1.9 - was using version 2 for each upgrade.

The features that I was concerned about were when I leave for more than 20 mins, the connection between my laptop (Windows 10 / server) and desktop (MacOS X / client) doesn't re-connect. Beta 2 had it mostly working. We will have to see later today when I return (have to head home for HVAC repair).

The other issue that hasn't quite been fixed or it may not have been reported yet is: I dock my laptop (ie: in the morning) and if my mac is at the main login screen (not logged in), unable to use the keyboard and mouse on the mac. The services may not running/connected until you log into the mac. 

When I log into the mac using mac keyboard and mouse and sometimes need to force quit the services for Synergy in Activity Monitor, then connection works.

tylersdad

So where does this leave those of us who paid for Synergy 2? I can assure you, I would not have paid $50 for a beta product.

This app has been completely unstable since I purchased it and it hasn't improved with each release. When it does work, promised features aren't there (such as copying files between terminals) and "working" features often don't work (copy and paste). 

Edited by tylersdad
  • Like 1
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
2 hours ago, tylersdad said:

So where does this leave those of us who paid for Synergy 2?

Hey, you can either use Synergy 1, or get a full refund. Which would you like to do?

If you want to download Synergy 1: https://symless.com/synergy/downloads

tylersdad
37 minutes ago, Nick Bolton said:

Hey, you can either use Synergy 1, or get a full refund. Which would you like to do?

If you want to download Synergy 1: https://symless.com/synergy/downloads

Thanks for your reply, Mr. Bolton.

I tried getting Synergy 1 to work and even went as far as installing Bonjour., The problem is, my work laptop is locked down pretty tight, so it was not able to connect to the computer I'm using as the Synergy server. 

At this point, I think I'd prefer a refund. Once Synergy 2 is more stable, exits beta, and introduces the missing features, I'll repurchase. 

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
5 hours ago, tylersdad said:

even went as far as installing Bonjour

Ah, this part is optional.

• Nick Bolton featured and unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
Volure DarkAngel

Connection between devices seems to be lost. 

Only way to get them to reconnect is to trash all the directories manually, and re-install the app... Sometimes on both machines... Very frustrating.. Why is there not a control panel to access connection settings rather than doing everything automatically ??

• 2 months later...
On 7/17/2018 at 11:35 AM, Volure DarkAngel said:

Connection between devices seems to be lost. 

Only way to get them to reconnect is to trash all the directories manually, and re-install the app... Sometimes on both machines... Very frustrating.. Why is there not a control panel to access connection settings rather than doing everything automatically ??

Agree with this. While some users may prefer everything set up for them, I prefer having at least the option of accessing the settings. I'm about ready to jump back to v.1 as I've been having a problem with clients dropping connection constantly and then reconnect. Like tonight: every time I click on something on the computer to the right, the cursor jumps back to my server computer and I have to wait a couple of seconds to reconnect and then move back to the client. Getting old! And it's not a problem with my network.

And I agree that v.2 is not ready to be labelled "stable."

• 6 months later...
Alexander78

I love that the condescending comments of "There is, of course, a minority of users who believe that Synergy 2.0 is not finished." This all has been a pr nightmare, and my copy paste still isn't working! Fast forward to 2019, and still no great strides to finishing it.

• 8 months later...
On 22/01/2020 at 6:19 PM, BillyJBryant said:

Sorry to resurrect a Zombie, but what is the status of Synergy 2?  Is it still in closed beta?

It's still closed, but not in the same sense of the word: before, it was closed as in private; now, it's closed as in abandoned. ;)

Symless announced that no further development will be done on Synergy 2. It'll just be scrapped and a new Synergy 3 will be rewritten from scratch. It'll probably take a couple more years to be done, but they might release an early alpha in the following months. All purchased licenses of Synergy 2 will be automatically moved to Synergy 3.

1 hour ago, eth0 said:

It's still closed, but not in the same sense of the word: before, it was closed as in private; now, it's closed as in abandoned. ;)

Symless announced that no further development will be done on Synergy 2. It'll just be scrapped and a new Synergy 3 will be rewritten from scratch. It'll probably take a couple more years to be done, but they might release an early alpha in the following months. All purchased licenses of Synergy 2 will be automatically moved to Synergy 3.

So with that said, how active is the development on version 1?  Forgive me, I'm coming back after a long period of non use...

On 24/01/2020 at 3:13 PM, Frank Z said:

So with that said, how active is the development on version 1?  Forgive me, I'm coming back after a long period of non use...

They went back to maintaining v1, in fact they've released a few revisions and a minor version since.

• 5 weeks later...
Weebus Mucker

Synergy 2.0.12 has actually worked very well for me, until recently - due to having spotty internet. I was shocked when I discovered it had to go out to the internet to connect between my PC's on the same lan, then read about 'offline mode' coming in 2.1. And welp, we know how that turned out.

Is there any way to force 2.0.12 into a pseudo-offline mode when it can't connect to the cloud? Not being able to control my Mac right beside my PC plugged into the same switch when the internet is out is bizarre.

• 5 months later...
ashokrajar

Synergy 3 is their target but it's too far (expected to release in 2023). You can see the full feature Road Map and vote for your fav features and also signup for Alpha/Beta tester.

Synergy 3 Full RoadMap : https://symless.com/synergy/roadmap

• 6 months later...

Any updates regarding a "a super-early-alpha of the next major version" This link stated Q1 of 2020.

edit: I see this post here addressing the next Alpha version release:

Edited by mcallahan