Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

All kind of weird issues after Windows 10 April upgrade

Martin Fürholz

Hello,

today after I made the Windows 10 April upgrade to Windows 10 Version 1803 on my Synergy host PC, I am facing all kind of weird issues with Synergy (2.0.10-stable).

The mouse doesn't jump to the other Windows 10 client (a laptop) at all most of the time. And when it does, the mouse cursor becomes invisible, and doesn't go back to the other PC anymore.

On the other hand, for my other MacOS client the jump is by far too sensitive - the mouse jumps already to the other client when it is more than 200 pixels away from the border of the screen. But then I have the same issues on the MacOS client as on the other Windows client: the mouse becomes invisible, and I can't get it back to the host PC anymore. I have to stop the service.

I cannot continue using Synergy in this current state!

I didn't have *any* issues (apart from the issue that the mouse jumps back to the host when I type an '@' or other special character) before the Windows 10 April upgrade.

I already re-installed Synergy on all machines. I removed all PCs from the Synergy UI and added them again. But nothing helped. It just doesn't work anymore.

Please tell me that you tested Synergy with the Windows insider builds in the past couple of months/weeks so that you could get a hold of issues that might arise with this next Windows upgrade?

Kelvin Tran

And you're sure that this is directly caused by the 1803 update?

I'll look at the change-log of the 1803 update, but it's not implausible that there might have been a change to the input-control APIs that were used, as I know that the 1803 update was a fairly major update to the logistics of input control.

@Steve Williams, this is a fairly major issue as this is an update that is rapidly being pushed out. If we get any further reports, can we prioritize it on your development list?

GranPaSmurf

I updated 3 computers to Win 10 1803 yesterday and this morning, after a restart, they all seem solid.  I can't reproduce your issue since I don't have a MAC in my system.

Martin Fürholz
14 hours ago, Kelvin Tran said:

And you're sure that this is directly caused by the 1803 update?

I'll look at the change-log of the 1803 update, but it's not implausible that there might have been a change to the input-control APIs that were used, as I know that the 1803 update was a fairly major update to the logistics of input control.

@Steve Williams, this is a fairly major issue as this is an update that is rapidly being pushed out. If we get any further reports, can we prioritize it on your development list?

I read in another thread in this forum that after the upgrade to Win 10 version 1803 the text scaling is causing issues similar to mine.

I have different text scaling on the 4 monitors of my host PC, and one of them is standing upright/vertically.

But I'm 100% certain that the issue started with the Windows 10 April update/upgrade, because I have been using the very same version of Synergy for a couple of days already before that upgrade. And had no issues.

I sent my logs to support.

Computer 1 (Laptop)
Operating System: Windows 10
Synergy Version: Synergy 2.0.10
Log: https://synergy-logs.symless.com/b8aec058cfeadace7bc424a0cf3a0d5e/logs/144-2018-05-01T23-58-25.log

Computer 2 (MARTINPC)
Operating System: Windows 10
Log: https://synergy-logs.symless.com/b8aec058cfeadace7bc424a0cf3a0d5e/logs/144-2018-05-01T23-57-38.log

Computer 3 (Martins-MBP.fritz.box)
Operating System: Osx 10.13
Log: https://synergy-logs.symless.com/b8aec058cfeadace7bc424a0cf3a0d5e/logs/144-2018-05-01T23-58-16.log

Edited by Martin Fürholz
Martin Fürholz

Someone suggested that going back to version 2.0.9 would fix the issue with text scaling. I will give that a shot soon.

Martin Fürholz

It works fine with Synergy 2.0.9.

So there is some issue with the combination of Windows 10 version 1803 and Synergy version 2.0.10.

This is my setup (the PCs have individual UI scaling (Windows settings) on each monitor):

Screenshot_20180505-185413.jpg

Kricket

Thank you Martin,

I was having the same issue where the cursor would become invisible after trying to jump screens.  I changed my Windows scaling option from 125% to 100% and it works again.

Now I just can't see anything because it's all too small!

• Thanks 1
Guest Steve Williams

Interesting, we've not changes anything between 2.0.9 and 2.0.10 that should affect this. We'll take a look.

18 minutes ago, Steve Williams said:

Interesting, we've not changes anything between 2.0.9 and 2.0.10 that should affect this. We'll take a look.

I don't think it's your fault. I believe it's a change in Windows that caused the issue. All of us have moved to 1803 which has been directly correlated to this issue.

• Thanks 1
Guest Andrew Nelless

This sounds like an issue with DPI awareness compatibility. Could someone running 1803 please confirm the status of the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

There should be a REG_SZ entry there for synergy-core.exe (full program files path) with the value "~ HIGHDPIAWARE WIN7RTM"

In the meantime we'll upgrade our boxes internally and start looking in to this.

Martin Fürholz
15 minutes ago, Andrew Nelless said:

This sounds like an issue with DPI awareness compatibility. Could someone running 1803 please confirm the status of the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

There should be a REG_SZ entry there for synergy-core.exe (full program files path) with the value "~ HIGHDPIAWARE WIN7RTM"

In the meantime we'll upgrade our boxes internally and start looking in to this.

image.thumb.png.de4c0b2f9b0c226b892b1d72a49e7a8a.png

• Thanks 1
Martin Fürholz

This issue appears to be fixed for me in Synergy 2.0.11, but there's another new issue:

Every time the mouse cursor switches from server to client or from client to server, it jumps to the center of the screen for a brief moment.

Dreamer 1

The issue of the mouse cursor jumping briefly to the center of the screen gets somewhat annoying when I have a control there with OnHover code, that code gets executed every time I switch to the client.

Robert Krpoun

I can add another data point: literally updated windows 10 to 1803 Just Now, and immediately lost ability to share with mac running high sierra. (Synergy 2.0.11)

I have four monitors on Windows, some with scaling, some without. 

Changed all monitors to 100%, and BAM- instantly can control the mac again!

Nothing else helped, restarting, rebooting, etc.

Oh, Windows, you so silly...

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I recently updated Windows 10 to version 1809 and I have the same issue.  Synergy 2.0.12 will not work with Windows as server and Linux as client unless I drop my Windows 10 scaling down to 100%.  It's a real pain to have to adjust scaling every time I want to use synergy. 

Is there any fix for this yet?