Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Still No Rename Ability? Really?!?!

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!

I used 2.0Beta 1-5 while more than 15 screens stacked up in my configuration window. I couldn't delete them, I couldn't rename them, the names all looked the same.  I finally had to downgrade to 1.8 as it was getting too much to manage. I was excited when 2.0.10 finally came until I installed it; there was a sinking feeling as a bunch of the old problems all crept right back.  It still seems to have the ridiculous logic of pulling the computer name from some DNS cache somewhere - my computers all end up with XXX.comcast.hsd.ut.us.124.xfiniity.net.  Now those are not the computers' hostnames, local hostnames, or computer names. On top of that, the one feature that since July 2017 Synergy said was coming, "RENAMING" is still absent.

I will just put this out there - I have no idea what I have gained with 2.0.  I have lost features, been strapped with ridiculous limitations, seen no improvement in stability or responsiveness.  You guys might ask yourself what exactly your end goal was here. I get the value of a potential back-end overhaul, but you never release that to the customer until you have at least met par with the functionality they currently have.  I have worked in enterprise software most my career, I have NEVER SEEN a company release a "New Version" with stripped down functionality. 

I put up with a lot of quirks and limitations when Synergy was free, donationware.  I get it - beggars can't be choosers.  But now that you are asking for my money, and I AM A PRO ACCOUNT, so I do expect a reasonable level of time to address these issues.  So far I have been appalled at the pace of development.  I have had free apps have better service, faster development, and better-designed apps.  What is going on here?

Well... "XXX.comcast.hsd.ut.us.124.xfiniity.net" is in fact coming from your ISP. That's not Synergy. That's your host getting info from DHCP. 

Your "stripped down functionality" is in other places called "automatic setup". Many out there - including me - believe it's a little too automatic, and the team's working hard on that functionality.

Refunds are available if you don't want to (or can't) hang in there till this major overhaul's done. There is a lot in the works.

3 hours ago, jml said:

Well... "XXX.comcast.hsd.ut.us.124.xfiniity.net" is in fact coming from your ISP. That's not Synergy. That's your host getting info from DHCP. 

Your "stripped down functionality" is in other places called "automatic setup". Many out there - including me - believe it's a little too automatic, and the team's working hard on that functionality.

Refunds are available if you don't want to (or can't) hang in there till this major overhaul's done. There is a lot in the works.

I understand that is the public DNS name being generated by my ISP.  But why in the hell would you choose to use that as the DEFAULT and UNCHANGEABLE name? Every Mac has a Bonjour name you could grab or the local hostname or computer name - all which are far more logical.  Or, just enable renaming from the get-go.

Probably (and I can't speak for the Synergy developers, but I can speak from long development experience) because people have a tendency to screw up and duplicate local host names and / or computer names. And not all computers are Macs, so not all computers speak Bonjour. So the DNS name which is ostensibly provided by a trusted, competent network engineering staff (no snickering allowed) is much more likely to be unique on a network and thus avoid some painful troubleshooting calls.

That said, it'd be a good idea to allow renaming, and it isn't too difficult to do a query-on-[re]name to ensure that there's not a duplicate name on the local network. Suggestion for the developers.

• 2 weeks later...
DanBlake

Another option is to use the same method as Synergy 1.x.  The name displayed on the Synergy 2.x screens could be an alias, Synergy 1.x Server Configure Server... calls it Screen name and also has Alias. It does not have to be a working network name/address.

2018-05-13 10_00_04-Screen Settings.png

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...
On 4/30/2018 at 5:29 PM, JHN said:

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!

I used 2.0Beta 1-5 while more than 15 screens stacked up in my configuration window. I couldn't delete them, I couldn't rename them, the names all looked the same.  I finally had to downgrade to 1.8 as it was getting too much to manage. I was excited when 2.0.10 finally came until I installed it; there was a sinking feeling as a bunch of the old problems all crept right back.  It still seems to have the ridiculous logic of pulling the computer name from some DNS cache somewhere - my computers all end up with XXX.comcast.hsd.ut.us.124.xfiniity.net.  Now those are not the computers' hostnames, local hostnames, or computer names. On top of that, the one feature that since July 2017 Synergy said was coming, "RENAMING" is still absent.

I will just put this out there - I have no idea what I have gained with 2.0.  I have lost features, been strapped with ridiculous limitations, seen no improvement in stability or responsiveness.  You guys might ask yourself what exactly your end goal was here. I get the value of a potential back-end overhaul, but you never release that to the customer until you have at least met par with the functionality they currently have.  I have worked in enterprise software most my career, I have NEVER SEEN a company release a "New Version" with stripped down functionality. 

I put up with a lot of quirks and limitations when Synergy was free, donationware.  I get it - beggars can't be choosers.  But now that you are asking for my money, and I AM A PRO ACCOUNT, so I do expect a reasonable level of time to address these issues.  So far I have been appalled at the pace of development.  I have had free apps have better service, faster development, and better-designed apps.  What is going on here?

Hey JHN and guys,

This annoying bug was driving me nuts for while here too with macOS (El Capitan and High Sierra). Even tried upgrading OSs.

Latest v1.10.1  S1     , apparently does the trick on macOS 10.13.6 inside a fully wired gigabit network based on tomato (by shibby) router and APs.

Also, configured a `bogus` domain name into my main tomato router, something like b0gus.h0m3, another highly debatable topic, but it really helps me organize hostnames on server instance.

Good luck, bro!