Hello! đź‘‹

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Does anyone know how to change the master computer?

Darreng87

Maybe i'm putting this wrongly. I'm running two computers, one mac and one windows. Currently the windows is the (main) computer at which i'd like to change to my mac. Mostly because my mac is a laptop and i can't seem to have it closed shut without having a keyboard or mouse connected to it apparently? Regardless i'd like to change this. Without having to uninstall and install the program. Anyone trying to do the same thing?

Thanks!

Davewill

Synergy 1 or 2? With Synergy 2, using the mouse and keyboard on a machine should cause it to automatically take over the master role. You may have to actually click the mouse button, just moving the mouse doesn't always do it. If that doesn't work, open the Synergy app, double click on the Mac and choose "Share from".

With Synergy 1, you have to manually change the configuration on both machines.

Edited by Davewill
  • Like 1
Darreng87

I have the newest version. Synergy 2 I believe. Also I unplugged the keyboard from my windows and plugged it into my Mac which worked! Except I started typing and keys were off on the Mac. For instance when I type an apostrophe I get a colon. So the keyboard works perfectly normal on both operating systems when connected to the windows machine but when connected to the Apple, keys are off! Sigh.

Davewill

The Mac should have asked you to configure the keyboard when you plugged it in. I use a PC keyboard on my MacBook as master to a Windows 10 and an Ubuntu computer. Those key type fine on all three. Try going into system prefs->keyboard and choosing "Change keyboard type" and see if reconfiguring fixes it.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

@Davewill Thanks for helping!

@Darreng87 Sorry that you're having problems. Have you contacted our support team yet? https://symless.com/contact/customer-support

If you'd rather get help here on the forums, that's fine too. Please could you share your log links for all of your computers? Often people can only help you troubleshoot if you share your log links. Please make sure you share only the actual log links (not the log file contents). Here's how...

Darreng87

I do not see the option for Change keyboard Type. Went into the keyboard settings and did not see anywhere on how to re-configure this keyboard. I only saw how to add more keyboards. 

Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 8.57.47 AM.png

Davewill

Weird. When I have my PC keyboard plugged in, that same dialog has a button in the lower left that says "Change Keyboard Type...". It goes away when I unplug it, returns when I plug it in. Try plugging the keyboard into a different USB port, or try a different keyboard. I think your problem has nothing to do with Synergy and is MacOS not knowing what kind of keyboard you're using.

Edited by Davewill

Yeah. The "it just works" autoconfig is lovely until "it just doesn't work".  I'm getting really frustrated with the simplicity of this application and the seemingly completely lacking ability to configure or customize anything.  Is there a way to prevent all these connections going to 45.55.221.2 and apt-test.cloud.symless.com also?  My security guy is going to throw a hissy fit pretty soon.  Back to version 1 again.

• Haha 1
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

To share from a specific computer, right click it on the config screen and select "Share from..."

If that doesn't work, please try restarting the background services with Shift+F5:

Darreng87

Also.. While we're all here. Does anyone else have the ability to drag and drop files from one computer to another, as advertised. Right now, I'm using an app called dropbox which we use for our business anyway so it works out pretty nicely. But to have this function would be better.

Darreng87

@Nick Bolton Sorry if it seems like i'm ignoring you. But i have contacted your support team and have gotten little to no useful help from them regarding dragging and dropping files from one computer to another specifically. And I read what you wrote about reporting logs to the thread. But i'm not sure if i feel totally comfortable reporting logs from my computers to this thread. Sounds like a hack waiting to happen.

Davewill

Then you'll love the fact that the uploads you create when you do a "send log" are completely public and not secured in any way. They apparently live forever, too. I just clicked on one I sent support back in Nov and it's still there. :/

@Nick Bolton, I get that it's convenient this way, but you should at least retire them (or take them private) after the support ticket closes or after a period of time. Alternately, give us a way to purge our own logs from account management.

Edited by Davewill
On 27/04/2018 at 7:54 PM, Darreng87 said:

Does anyone else have the ability to drag and drop files from one computer to another, as advertised.

Nope. It's advertised, but not yet implemented.

Then you'll love the fact that the uploads you create when you do a "send log" are completely public and not secured in any way. They apparently live forever, too. I just clicked on one I sent support back in Nov and it's still there. :/

@Nick Bolton, I get that it's convenient this way, but you should at least retire them (or take them private) after the support ticket closes or after a period of time. Alternately, give us a way to purge our own logs from account management.

It shouldn't be too hard for you guys to at least restrict access to the log files at the web server level so only Symless can access them.

Edited by eth0
Add to Davewill's response.
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
On 4/30/2018 at 9:23 AM, eth0 said:

Nope. It's advertised, but not yet implemented.

One of our sponsors is incorrectly advertising this, and we are working hard to fix this issue. It was implemented in S1, but was broken in S2 which is why we took it off the website. If you need a refund, please contact us: https://symless.com/contact

Darreng87

@Nick Bolton No need for a refund. Aside from not being able to drag and drop files, this program works very well. I do have some issues with using the same keyboard from windows to mac. Also with copying and pasting. I wish those keys were the same on each computer. Right now when i copy something on the windows computer I'm holding control and C. and then to paste on mac i need to use command and V. Which becomes tough. Right now i use the copy paste feature a lot from excel to another computer. (Also this feature seems to ONLY work in excel). I've also tried changing the keys on my mac to function the same as the windows but i can't seem to figure it all out.

Anyway. Aside from those issues, the program works pretty seamlessly! Dragging and dropping programs for now a program called (Dropbox) works perfectly fine.

Thanks @Nick Bolton I look forward to the upgrades!