Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Cannot connect to background service

Ever since the first version of 2.x I have tried (back when it was in Beta) on my main PC it just fails to connect with the "Cannot connect to background service" message (upon hitting shift-f5).

This morning I tried 2.0.10 with the same results.

My process for the install was: 

1) Uninstall 1.9

2) Verify under services that Synergy service is fully removed.

3) Reboot

4) Install 2.0.10

5) Reboot

6) Verify - Failed

I've had a ticket open with support for 8 days and have received 3 replies - One from Nick.  None of the replies actually did any sort of troubleshooting except for asking for the logs (which I gave).  As a software engineer and manager - this is super concerning to me.  It leads me to believe that the SDEs think they a handle on the issue when they do not - clearly.  There is no reason this failure should still be happening release after release since beta.  So the question is: What can I as a community member who wants to see your product work do to help?  Are you willing to accept help?  Does one of your SDEs need to remote into an effected PC to manually troubleshoot what is going on (assuming the logs are not sufficient to tell you what is wrong at this point)?  Help us help you.

Thanks.

GranPaSmurf

Sorry that you're having problems. I'd keep replying to them, making it clear that your issue is not resolved.  https://symless.com/contact/customer-support

In your situation, I would first do a very clean uninstall/reinstall. Including thoroughly uninstalling version 1. I see you've done that, I'm just emphasizing the 'clean' part. I use a third party uninstaller to be sure I've covered all the bases. I would do the same for each machine and download the msi again. (almost for certain not the problem, but we're shooting for baseline, perfectly clean computers and 'first-time' Installation.) Sometimes, on a troublesome machine, I've had to stop/start Synergy services multiple times. And re-boot. I don't understand why, but in my system, after Synergy has been connected for a while, an hour or so, it seems to 'lock-in.' After that, it runs fine. 

If you'd rather get help here on the forums, please could you share your log links for all of your computers? We can only help you troubleshoot if you share your log links. Please make sure you share only the log links (not the log contents).

https://symless.com/forums/topic/3207-synergy-2-how-to-send-your-logs/

But once again, your best bet is interacting with support, hence the developers.

Edited by GranPaSmurf

Hi Nandoor

I am having similar issues with Synergy 2 as well. I have installed on my iMac which seems to be connecting to the Synergy systems as the icon is green but on my PC's I cannot connect. I have just installed on a 2nd PC and it is also unable to connect.

Success.... I followed the instructions GranPaSmurf has posted to do a manual claeanup of old files and all good, now working on 2 PC's and iMac.

Note to support team. place these uninstall instruction into response tickets and your life will improve...

Thanks for assistance.

• Thanks 1

The most obvious problem issue I see is this:

[ Config  ] [2018-04-16T17:51:22] error: Reply status code: 400
[ Config  ] [2018-04-16T17:51:22] error: Reply error message: Invalid JSON request: bad numeric conversion: negative overflow
[ Config  ] [2018-04-16T17:51:24] error: Reply status code: 400
[ Config  ] [2018-04-16T17:51:24] error: Reply error message: Invalid JSON request: bad numeric conversion: negative overflow
[ Config  ] [2018-04-16T17:51:25] error: Reply status code: 400
[ Config  ] [2018-04-16T17:51:25] error: Reply error message: Invalid JSON request: bad numeric conversion: negative overflow
[ Config  ] [2018-04-16T17:52:00] info: Sending log file...

Here is the full log:

https://synergy-logs.symless.com/2ba427c11f503ae5a9a393241354a269/logs/749-2018-04-24T15-10-47.log

Update: 

Followed Nick's full uninstall instructions:

1) Deleting ProgramData\Sym* And reinstall did not fixed it

2) Deleting AppData\Local\... and REGKEYS *DID* Fix it.  

So I am up and running now.  Seems like the installer / uninstaller need to do a better job of removing stuff?

• Thanks 1
A. Elaine Van Der Wall

Following the instructions to do a complete uninstall on both my PC and Mac fixed the problem for me as well. The error I was getting in my logs included "invalid auth token." Thanks, Papa Smurf!

• Thanks 1
RahdooSrM
7 hours ago, Nandor said:

Update: 

Followed Nick's full uninstall instructions:

1) Deleting ProgramData\Sym* And reinstall did not fixed it

2) Deleting AppData\Local\... and REGKEYS *DID* Fix it.  

So I am up and running now.  Seems like the installer / uninstaller need to do a better job of removing stuff?

I still cannot connect the two PC`s even after multiple uninstalls and reinstalls and reboots and connecting and reconnecting...  (I use 2 Win10 PC`s)

[ Core    ] [2018-04-25T09:35:43] ERROR: failed to get desktop path, no drop target available, error=2

Full log: https://synergy-logs.symless.com/29c3c177e202a79b22de104410fb7d14/logs/58442-2018-04-25T09-37-13.log

I've been struggling since the betas (I use the term loosely; I'm lazy, it didn't work, I went back to 1.8) to get Synergy 2 to work as well because of similar issues, but doing an uninstall and manual purge of ProgramData, AppData\Local, and Registry before doing an install resolved the issue for me as well.  I'm running the latest stable now.

FWIW, also, I really dislike the new interface.

• Like 1
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
1 hour ago, Bret said:

FWIW, also, I really dislike the new interface.

How would you improve it?

1 hour ago, Nick Bolton said:

1. Better Status Indicators (Grey vs Green PC doesn't mean much - especially when 1 pc isnt connected and just shows grey).  
  2. Better error messages (unable to connect to cloud / unable to bind to port / unable to auth / whatever)
  3. Obvious place for error messages / upload logs / open support ticket directly from the UI
  4. Remove all context menus and secret-handshakes (Shift-F5/Alt-S/Right Click Context Menus are all HORRIBLE UI/UX Design)
  5. Collapsable output window like the 1.9 UI had so you can see as machines connect/disconnect (I am getting a lot of odd behaviors with 2.0.10 with no real way to track down).
    1. Odd Behavior examples:
      1. Left / Right click randomly stop working on the client until I restart the service
      2. Mouse jumps from center of screen to hard left 15 times before allowing correct movement
      3. Unexplained disconnects
      4. Etc
  6. Hire a UX designer or farm it out as a contract job
  7. Do some UX Testing
  • Like 1
Davewill

8. How about a menu bar?

9. It would be nice to have some way to launch basic help from the program.

10. The enable/disable functionality in the system tray should exist in the main app interface as well (in fact, that's a good general rule for ALL tray functionality). Some of us are stingy with system tray space, plus novices are most unlikely to look there.

11. Actually label the server instead of just drawing a tiny dot that isn't explained.

12. Refresh/restart connection button instead of having to know to do a second "share from..." or dragging away a machine and dragging it back.

13. Show more/all of the machine names. On my screen I only get the first 6-8 characters before it goes to ellipses. A couple of my machines start with similar names and I can't quickly tell them apart. By default, Windows 10 starts all of the machine names with "LAPTOP-" or "DESKTOP-" so I would imagine a lot of people run into this.

I carefully refrained from suggesting anything that was an actual new feature. These are all things that the program has in some form, but the UI makes it hard to access. In that vein I would like to see the IP the program is using for the current connection, for instance.

Edited by Davewill
4 hours ago, Nick Bolton said:

Nick,

@Davewill and @Nandor had some great ideas.

For me, I'd sum it all up is that I want the interface to actually interface me with something.  I'd like to have control over what clients connect to the server.  I'd like control over whether SSL is used.  I'd like to be able to see logs and status in an immediate fashion.

The old interface want modern or pretty, but it allowed me to control and configure the software how I saw fit.  The new interface hides everything, and directed me to trust that it'll do everything right for me - and I consider that a negative.  Given nothing else, I'd like to see an "advanced" button I could click and get the old interface back.

RahdooSrM
On 25.04.2018 at 10:45 AM, Nick Bolton said:

Thanks for the log link. Could you send the log for the other computer?

Hello, the updated logs are as follows:

Main PC: https://synergy-logs.symless.com/29c3c177e202a79b22de104410fb7d14/logs/58442-2018-04-27T10-21-02.log

Secondary Laptop: https://synergy-logs.symless.com/29c3c177e202a79b22de104410fb7d14/logs/58442-2018-04-27T10-21-43.log