Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Doesn't support proxy settings

Nick, love Synergy (even tho I can't get clipboard functionality between my Linux and Windows host) but Synergy 2 performing cloud-based authentication to run is just bonkers. I don't even think with proxy support I'll be able to use it at my job (network security), having things back on regular 'ole LAN and staying there would be super dope.

Does the manual local IP option mean it would function like Synergy 1 where you can just connect a client directly to a host without the cloud call-out? I would be super excited to buy and support Synergy 2 if that is the case.

9 minutes ago, Haymay said:

Nick, love Synergy (even tho I can't get clipboard functionality between my Linux and Windows host) but Synergy 2 performing cloud-based authentication to run is just bonkers. I don't even think with proxy support I'll be able to use it at my job (network security), having things back on regular 'ole LAN and staying there would be super dope.

Does the manual local IP option mean it would function like Synergy 1 where you can just connect a client directly to a host without the cloud call-out? I would be super excited to buy and support Synergy 2 if that is the case.

I can only +1 this ..; I would love to purchase synergy back if the old local mod come back. 
I understand that you want to use the 'cloud auth' to sell license and control cracked versions (which is fine) but I doubt that it's the kind of product which is compatible with it. I think that most synergy users are working in IT, dev or whatever computer related and don't really like to be connected to a 3rd party cloud server which transfer all their mouse / keyboard inputs.

6 minutes ago, machicot said:

I can only +1 this ..; I would love to purchase synergy back if the old local mod come back. 
I understand that you want to use the 'cloud auth' to sell license and control cracked versions (which is fine) but I doubt that it's the kind of product which is compatible with it. I think that most synergy users are working in IT, dev or whatever computer related and don't really like to be connected to a 3rd party cloud server which transfer all their mouse / keyboard inputs.

Waaaaaait, it's not transferring it all through the cloud is it? It's not just authentication?

16 minutes ago, Haymay said:

Waaaaaait, it's not transferring it all through the cloud is it? It's not just authentication?

I think so but we don't really know. It might be written somewhere but as long as someone didnt digged it we can just trust symless

Davewill
4 hours ago, Haymay said:

It definitely is passing IP addresses back to base so that the different computers can find each other. What they used to (try to) use Bonjour for.

Yes, it sends IP addresses to the cloud service. They'll be private addresses most of the time, but sometimes you can have network adapters with public addresses set, and since Synergy just uses whatever address it can find from your network adapters it can't guarantee that only addresses in the private ranges are uploaded to the cloud service.

I think it also sends screen sizes and computer available/unavailable events. However, it doesn't send keystrokes, mouse events nor clipboard contents.

Anyway, if an account was compromised the attacker could easily map some user activity just from the connection events, IPs and screen sizes alone: for example, noticing that certain sets of computers become active at certain timeframes which gives you an idea of when the user would be at work or at home, or that one particular computer has a larger screen than other computers connected to it so you can assume that's the main one, or even that one computer connects to different sets of computers depending on the time frame…

@Nick Bolton, may I suggest you guys switch to a zero-knowledge approach for your cloud service? Just from the top of my head and simplifying a lot, let's say you finally implemented having different configuration profiles for different locations or whatever. When creating a new profile, you could derive an encryption key locally in the client itself based on the user's account password and the profile name, and then encrypt the zeroconf information locally before sending the encrypted blob to the server, which would associate that blob with a hash also calculated from the client. When other machines connect to the same profile, they'd also derive the same encryption key and hash, so they'd request the correct zeroconf information from the server every time. The server would never know anything about the encryption key or the information stored in the encrypted blob, that data would only be handled by the clients.