Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Show screen lock (Scroll lock) status in program

PatrickFB

I now know that the Scroll Lock key will lock the mouse and keyboard to a particular computer, but it took me a bit to find that out. I accidentally hit the key without realizing it. The first thing I did when Synergy seemed to stop working was open the GUI program. Since there was no help there, I had to go search the internet to find out what was going on. It would make it much easier for future users to discover this feature if there was some kind of status. Something like "Scroll Lock enabled, so input is locked to current computer". Or something in the new tray icon. Anything to make the feature more discoverable. 

GranPaSmurf

? I'm not laughing at you, but with you.

I vividly remember going through the same process back with version 1 a few years ago.

I wholeheartedly agree with your suggestion.

Or we can keep quiet and both enjoy a grin the next time we hear this story.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Our plan for this is to actually have it disabled by default, and have a setting where the user can choose what button they want; this would simultaneously educate users that the feature exists, and allow them to choose a key other than scroll lock (since scroll lock doesn't exist on many modern keyboards).

GranPaSmurf

@Nick Bolton adding it to the install sequence and requiring the activation is a clever idea. I'd like to see it there, but I think it should also exist in the configuration page of 2.1.

I can imagine a situation where the original installer and the end user might not be the same operator.

PatrickFB

I think the settings page will work fine. 

I think the Zendesk page is what I found. But that was through Google. I don't think there is a link to it from the main Symless website. Or to the forums either.