Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

YUM tries to install 1.8...

Matt Vang

Hello,

As the topic says when I run "yum update" on my system it tries to install Synergy 1.8.xxx... but I'm using Synergy 2.  Anyone know a way to fix this?

Matt Vang

Some more details which might be useful...

If I try this:

yum remove synergy

It tries to remove Synergy 2.  So as far as I can tell 1.x is not already installed along side Synergy 2.  If I let yum install Synergy 1.,8 then it does seem to replace Synergy 2, which is not good.

Matt Vang

I don't know how to install synergy 2 using yum.  I installed it originally using the RPM file.  The repositories I have setup don't seem to have Synergy 2 in them (EPEL has synergy 1.x).

For the moment I've edited yum.conf to disable the "synergy" package from being updated which is probably an ok solution at least until synergy 2 is in one of the standard repos.

Matt Vang

Hi jml, 

If I do:

yum remove synergy

Yum says it will remove synergy 2.  It seems to think the synergy 1.8 it finds in the EPEL repository is an upgrade of the installed synergy 2.0.8 I have.

yum remove's looking in the local database to figure out what's installed (and thus what it should remove). As to the update, yeah, it's going to get confused because it knows that the latest version (at least according to EPEL) is 1.8, and you are _not_ at that version, so it's going to "help" you get there. Doesn't understand that 2 > 1. Sigh.

Matt Vang

I suppose I can just manually update this one and leave yum set to ignore it.  Not a big deal.  

If possible though perhaps the package name for synergy 2 could actually be synergy2 or something so this would stop happening in the future.  Since synergy 1.x and synergy 2 are basically two different programs it would make sense to make the package names different.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

We do have plans to create repositories for Linux users to solve this problem, but I can't say when.