Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

How to shutdown Synergy?

A really basic question I know, but there is no obvious way to quit Synergy that I can see (aside from killing it in task manager in Windows?).

New releases will not install cleanly while the original is running. Hang on validating install.....

It seems as if 2.0.7 re instates a tray icon in Windows but this only allows enabling/disabling and quitting the tray icon. 

It's not even possible to get to the setup window without re starting the app.

Please add to the tray app the ability to display the config window

Please add to the config window the ability to quit Synergy and enable/disable automatic startup.

Edited by Pward
Guest Nick Graham-Brown
1 hour ago, Pward said:

It's not even possible to get to the setup window without re starting the app.

Please add to the tray app the ability to display the config window

Great point, we are planning to add a shortcut from the tray icon to reopen the config app. This would be handy, out of interest, why do you need to reconfigure so often?

1 hour ago, Pward said:

Please add to the config window the ability to quit Synergy and enable/disable automatic startup.

We are considering this. What problem are you having that would be solved by this option? 

Nick,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Re: Please add to the tray app the ability to display the config window.

At this time I mainly need the config app because of an issue where using the mouse/touchpad/keyboard of one of my machines (Win10 laptop) transfers control to that keyboard/touchpad/mouse (admittedly I generally use the laptop keyboard by mistake as it's right there instead of my main keyboard).

However I need to use the config window to return control to my main Synergy server mouse/keyboard (Fedora server).

Re: Please add to the config window the ability to quit Synergy and enable/disable automatic startup.

Updating to a new release seems to hang on 'validating installation', also messages about existing Synergy running. 

Would like to be able to shut it down. Also with other random issues where it's been necessary to restart Synergy, but no easy way to shut it down.

• 4 years later...

Any update on this topic? I am using Mac laptop and I also want the feature to quickly toggle On and Off the Synergy 2.  I use Synergy to connect with my desktop computer when I am on a desk but I also take a laptop separately when I move around the office. And when I do I often lose the cursor b/c it is still connect to other computer wirelessly. 

• 1 year later...

When I am working solo Synergy 3 is used but when a partner needs to use the desktop I need to temporarily disable the app. Is there any quick way to do this?

• 1 month later...
  • Synergy Team
On 12/28/2023 at 3:23 PM, MurphyK said:

When I am working solo Synergy 3 is used but when a partner needs to use the desktop I need to temporarily disable the app. Is there any quick way to do this?

To stop the Synergy connection between the computers, click/right-click the Synergy icon in the menu bar/tray and click 'Stop':

?name=image.png

Once stopped the 'Stop' button will be replaced with 'Start' which you can then click when you want to start the Synergy connection between the computers again.