Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Do Back and Forward Mouse buttons work for people?

Hi All,
I've been lurking in these forums following progress for a while. I've been using Synergy 2.0.x since it's release and have been one of the lucky one where for the most part it has worked pretty well. I have certainly seen improvements in the stability with each new version in my environment (Admittedly, my environment is pretty simple). I've just upgraded to 2.0.5 this morning and everything seems to be working well, even seamlessly copied images across systems - made life really easy.

The one thing that I have never been able to get working reliably, even in 1.x is the Back and Forward Mouse buttons. In 1.x they would sometimes work and then mysteriously not work. It was frustrating but was a minor inconvenience that I never had time to follow up. Now with with 2.0.x I've not had the Back and forward mouse buttons work at all, ever, and given that there's no configuration options yet, there doesn't seem to be anything I could potentially do about it. Other Mouse functions, standard left & right click and scroll wheel work fine.

So my question, am I the only one this isn't working for? Do Back and Forward mouse clicks work for anyone else & if so, did you have to do anything special to get them to work?

My Setup:

Synergy 2.0.5, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 10 1703 (Build15063)

Thanks

AusArcher

It's the same here.

Forward and back buttons have never worked for me.

Setup: Ubuntu 17.10 synergy client. Win10 (virtualized with usb and therefore mouse passed through) as the synergy server.

I've had the same issue, but I was able to workaround it with the help of third party apps such as xbindkeys for Linux, Better Touch Tool for Mac and X-Mouse for Windows

The idea is to remap the mouse buttons on the server to a keyboard shortcut.  For example, on my server, my forward mouse button is mapped to "alt-right" and my back mouse button is mapped to "alt-left".

I believe there's some issue with Synergy & how the extra mouse buttons are translated to the other clients which have no mouse.

Mike Danielsson

No. Using Ubuntu as host for my Windows 10 computer. Left, Right and scroll button works but not back and forward.

Edited by Mike Danielsson

Thanks for the input guys, I'm glad it's not just me.
Chamsfiend, thanks for the info on X-Mouse, unfortunately I'm reluctant to run yet another third party app, particularly to resolve an issue that really should be core functionality for Synergy. I'm already running Acoustic Bridge to provide the audio link between systems, something I'd very much like to see become a core part of Synergy, it works but can be flaky at times.

I would really like to see this issue resolved as I'm sure using back and forward mouse buttons is a daily activity for most people. I know there is a feature request forum, but is the are way for us to log Bugs, or to see if this is already listed as a bug that's being worked on?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

WIndows 7 Host, Arch client. Running 1.10.1. Back and forward are not mapped correctly. I can see the events in xev on the client:

ButtonPress event, serial 33, synthetic NO, window 0x2800001,
    root 0xc9, subw 0x0, time 45389800, (5,737), root:(1291,768),
    state 0x0, button 6, same_screen YES

ButtonRelease event, serial 33, synthetic NO, window 0x2800001,
    root 0xc9, subw 0x0, time 45389951, (5,737), root:(1291,768),
    state 0x0, button 6, same_screen YES

Still trying to figure out what to do about it.

• Sad 1

@Nick Bolton could you please look into this bug? Everything is running fine for me except the back/forward buttons of my mouse. Starting to frustrate me after trying to use the buttons every few minutes :) 

• 3 months later...

I worked around this issue with a combination of the above advice.  My server and one of my clients are MacOS Mojave 10.14.2.

- I changed the settings on my Synergy server's Logitech mouse config so that the back and forward mouse buttons were configured to give keystrokes ⌘→ and ⌘← respectively.  

- This worked with Chrome and Firefox, but not for Finder.

To make Finder work, on both MacOS Machines I added a keyboard shortcut:

- Go to System Preferences → Keyboard → Shortcuts Tab → App Shortcuts → Click + Icon to add

- Choose Finder as the application, enter "Back" in the Menu Title field, then in the Keyboard shortcut field, press your mouse' back button (which should then fill in the keystroke you assigned it).  Do the same for Forward.

• 7 months later...

Thanks a TON AJDaws for your workaround. I actually found that for Finder I did *not* have to do anything different, I'm not sure if the fact that I use Karabiner Elements has anything to do with that (they supply some nice defaults like Fn+Arrows are Home/End/PgUp/PgDn in addition to Cmd+Arrows).

I actually didn't use the Logitech Options software though because I don't think Linux is fully supported by that yet and my "server" is Ubuntu and my macOS machines are "clients". Instead I did a selective remapping in the wizard of the improperly detected button 4 (which should be 6) to Meta+[ and then mapped button 3 (the middle click, only temporarily which I then corrected to button 7 in the exported config) and did a "Save configuration as" to ~/.synergy.conf.  This file is supposedly loaded by default if it exists, but being explicit is better. I closed the Synergy GUI and then made my fixes to the exported file (changing mouse(4) to mouse(6) and mouse(3) to mouse(7)) and then I opened Synergy again and told it to load that config from the "Use existing configuration"  (because the default config syntax in ~/.config/Synergy/Synergy.conf is inscrutable, and also because it auto saves when you open/close the Synergy GUI, which makes changing things on the fly rather difficult).

So the ROOT cause of this pain is actually Apple's fault, they alone didn't see fit to implement the WWWBack and WWWForward buttons in their HID keyboard spec, while everybody else did. Remapping the forward/back buttons on macOS clients to Cmd+[ and Cmd+] is the best and probably only way, but it would be awesome if the Synergy code was fixed to do this automatically.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 2/19/2018 at 7:34 AM, chasmfiend said:

I've had the same issue, but I was able to workaround it with the help of third party apps such as xbindkeys for Linux, Better Touch Tool for Mac and X-Mouse for Windows

The idea is to remap the mouse buttons on the server to a keyboard shortcut.  For example, on my server, my forward mouse button is mapped to "alt-right" and my back mouse button is mapped to "alt-left".

I believe there's some issue with Synergy & how the extra mouse buttons are translated to the other clients which have no mouse.

I've got back issues, and I'm trying to keymap as much functionality as possible, from my right hand to my left hand.  I'd love more details of what you were doing, and what ended up working for you.