Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

I dig the zero-conf in principle, but if it doesn't work...

3 hours ago, customer said:

I opened a ticket and *YOU* basically blew me off on it. Is there a reason the CEO has to negotiate with his employees on whether or not major bugs will be fixed? You could easily tell an employee 'hey, you take a day this week and write docs' and tell another employee 'hey this critical bug is making our product unusable, how about you focus on that until it is fixes, so we stop hemorrhaging customers'?

C'mon. Obviously *YOU* never ran a company or managed a team. It's not a matter of negotiation... it's a matter of prioritizing the work that needs to be done versus the available resources. Just because *YOU* feel it's the most important issue doesn't make it so.

Just *MY* opinion. Not necessarily Nick's or any employee of Symless (I am not one).

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• blistovmhz

• jml

• Nick Bolton

• abc309

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let me start with this: I've been using Synergy since day 1. Hell, I've been using it since before you developed it, as I'd developed my own almost 15 years ago and had been using it until Synergy w

One other thing I forgot to mention. A big sell for 2.x was it's ability to figure itself out over complex networks. Guess what the administrators of complex networks don't want. Rogue applications se

I'm sorta on the same page as @MWP13 here, though trying to be a little more diplomatic. I paid for 1.x for the same reasons. I wanted to see Synergy succeed. I paid for 2.x for the same reason, despi

I just came back to Synergy because I did not have use for it in my dev environment for a while. Wasn't using cross platform OS that needed to share devices. I bought Synergy 2.0 without hesitation because I didn't realize so much had changed. After looking around for configuration I was baffled to see it was gone. I had small intermittent issues that I was certain I could fix with some tweaks.  I am a bit upset because I didn't even expect to have these issues.  The host lagging issues is a breaking issue. I am now out $50 dollars and can't use the software. Next year when "its" fixed and I have to buy another license. I dont think I will have the same trust >< 

Besides the fact that they are required to provide a full refund within 14-days of purchase without questions asked by law, i don't see how you can not blame a company that uses its customers as beta testers while denying to give their money back as advertised on their website (100% Seamless guarantee...).

Symless does indeed provide refunds. Check with tech support. If you aren't satisfied with the response, contact Nick Bolton directly. And by the way, try THAT with Oracle, Microsoft, or most other software vendors. I'm sure Larry or John will get right back to you. If you think they don't release software as early as possible to get a wide response, then correct bugs, I'll call your attention to the recent release of Windows 10 and most Oracle Clusterware offerings. 

Reality? The reality is that this is complex software operating in a heterogeneous environment with a lofty, if distant, goal of zero-configuration. I'm surprised it works as well as it does.

There are a lot of things I want to see in the next release. Reality is that some will make it and some won't. That's the reality of all current software.

If you want something that works all the time, every time, and doesn't require configuration, upgrading, or maintenance, I'd suggest you get out your assembler of choice and write a program that has two instructions: "nop", and "jmp -1". Excluding refresh and interrupt intrusions, that's pretty much the only code that's guaranteed to do what it says. Namely, nothing.

Edited by jml

I'd venture that 80% of Windows users never read the docs. And I've used both the Windows and Oracle docs. 'nuff said there, but the plethora of third-party books that exist merely to clarify the documentation tells you something,

However, you're right in that Synergy needs documentation, and GranPaSmurf has taken the lead in producing some rather good ones that are available here: 

My point is that we really ought to try to help Symless by pointing out the flaws in a constructive manner so the development team can prioritize and correct them. There are definitely areas that require work, and some official documentation probably ought to be near the top of that list.

mstublefield

I actually gave up on Synergy. Too many mornings where it didn't work led me to find a new solution.

It turns out that I had been searching for the wrong hardware. HDMI KVMs are stupidly expensive, yes, but a USB KVM can be pretty cheap. I picked up one for around $20 and am very happy with it. Way more reliable and better performance.

The only downside is not being able to go from PC and Mac, which Synergy would facilitate if it worked reliably. But this lets me completely switch back and forth, at least.

I'm not asking for a refund because it has been a month or so since I bought it. I kind of wanted to get a refund that first night when it wouldn't work right. Then the next version or two made it better. Then it got worse again. For now, I'll just try to not think about it too much or the money I wasted, and I do hope that they keep improving the software so it works well in the future.

Most of the attempts on these forums to point out flaws in a constructive manner have either been ignored or treated with hostility by the developers.

7 hours ago, jml said:

My point is that we really ought to try to help Symless by pointing out the flaws in a constructive manner so the development team can prioritize and correct them. There are definitely areas that require work, and some official documentation probably ought to be near the top of that list.

We what? we ought to work for this company for free? Oh sure, you can do that, i'm not gonna waste my time unless i'm getting paid for it, until then i'm gonna wait for my refund. If this would be Microsoft or Oracle, getting a refund would not be an issue but a straight-forward process.

GranPaSmurf
14 hours ago, mstublefield said:

I actually gave up on Synergy. Too many mornings where it didn't work led me to find a new solution.

This is a Synergy self-help forum. Users and volunteer Moderators try to be helpful to whoever asks. If you gave up on Synergy, why are you posting on this forum?

• Like 1

"We what? we ought to work for this company for free?"

It's called "volunteering". Look it up. It makes the world a better place, and helps a small company succeed in a market dominated by behemoths.

You don't want to do that? No problem. But don't denigrate those who do.

• Like 1
blistovmhz
14 hours ago, abc309 said:

We what? we ought to work for this company for free? Oh sure, you can do that, i'm not gonna waste my time unless i'm getting paid for it, until then i'm gonna wait for my refund. If this would be Microsoft or Oracle, getting a refund would not be an issue but a straight-forward process.

Hahahaha lolz. You let us know when Microsoft gives you a refund for a bug. 

• Haha 1
GranPaSmurf

I was responding to mstublefield. He said he had given up on Synergy. He obviously has no need of a Self-help forum for Synergy.

You, on the other hand, despite your tone, seem to be interested in working with what we have today and responding insightfully to other forum members. Every user is welcome to post in the forum and even rant about what Synergy should be. That's actually helpful to the developers.

But if you announce you've given up on Synergy, then you have no use for this forum. Save the pixels and our time. Others need and appreciate our responses.    

• Like 1
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
On 27/03/2018 at 5:58 PM, abc309 said:

If it doesn't work you're out of luck, they don't provide refunds even though they're saying so on their Website.

Actually, we always give full refunds to every unhappy customer. What gave you the impression we don’t?

Please contact us for a refund: https://symless.com/contact

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Nick Bolton said:

Actually, we always give full refunds to every unhappy customer. What gave you the impression we don’t?

What gave me the impression that you don't? Maybe because i asked for a refund more than a week ago and still haven't received it? Maybe that's what gave me the impression, i don't know, could be the case...

For the record, even now, i'm still in the 14-day refund period (i.e. i bought the license less than 14-days ago).

Hahahaha lolz. You let us know when Microsoft gives you a refund for a bug. 

Any normal company complies to the law without asking stupid questions, if i buy something from Microsoft online, i can request a refund anytime in a period of 14-days and will receive it, there doesn't have to be a bug, you know?

Edited by abc309
12 hours ago, jml said:

It's called "volunteering". Look it up. It makes the world a better place, and helps a small company succeed in a market dominated by behemoths.

You don't want to do that? No problem. But don't denigrate those who do.

Excuse me? Who am i denigrating? I am told that i ought work for this company for free and you talk about someone being denigrated? I would be happy if you would be as outspoken for consumer rights as you are for "helping a small company succeed in a market dominated by behemoths".

You’re denigrating those who take a different approach to the issues with the product. You want to be snarky and gripe, that’s fine. Have a ball. No one’s stopping you. No one’s censoring you. Your rant is publicly visible.

I choose instead to try to help improve the product by staying positive and making constructive suggestions. Believe me, I use it every day and have had my share of issues. I paid for it just like you. 

All I ask is that you respect my choice in helping Symless as I respect your choice not to do so.

GranPaSmurf

EVERYONE!

This thread has moved far away from 'Synergy Self-support'.

The next post that is not a technical question or a technical answer will result in me taking moderator action against the one who posted it.

Edited by GranPaSmurf
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
On 3/29/2018 at 12:59 AM, abc309 said:

Maybe because i asked for a refund more than a week ago and still haven't received it?

I have prioritized your ticket to the top of the queue, you should get your refund today. Thanks for your patience. Sarah simply wanted to know what went wrong so we can improve Synergy.

• Nick Bolton locked this topic