Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

How to use Pro?

I received an email today saying, "To say thanks, and to show you my personal appreciation for supporting us in our early days, please accept a complementary upgrade to Synergy Pro which includes the new SSL encryption feature. Please complete this form to claim your free upgrade..." I was impressed and filled in the form, then did not know what to do. There was mention of going to the file menu, so I opened the GUI. (Synergy was/is already running on both of the two computers I am using) and the GUI froze. I tried it on the other machine. Same result. I had to kill it with the Task Manager. I wondered if I need a download, so I went to http://synergy-project.org/ and looked at the downloads and saw nothing there, so I clicked the the "Upgrade to Synergy Pro" link on the main page (I was logged in) and I was offered a form to buy Pro. So, I appreciate the gift, but have no idea what it is, why I want it, or how to get it. Any ideas?
Scott Boutwell
Also wondering about this as well. Filled out the Claim form but seeing an UPGRADE to Pro on my account. Wondering how we go about using the upgrade? Or obtaining it at this point?
An excellent question! This should be detailed better. Once 1.7 is installed, Re-run the wizard. You'll use your web site credentials to log in and the wizard can then check for available plugins. It should find the one that provides SSL connections, (it's named "ns"). Once this has been added to the server and clients, the title bar shoudl show "Pro" and there is an option to enable SSL. It's the default so when it runs and tries to connect you'll be greeted with a window to check a fingerprint. Once they are all connected it's the same old synergy experience except using SSL.
Thanks. The process was not quite seamless. As there are really no instructions, I had to grope my way through. I found 1.7, downloaded it, and ran it on each machine. In each case, the installation balked. On one, due to 'Synergy Desk' running. 'Synergy Desk' does not show up anywhere, including the Applications panel of the Windows 7 Task Manager, but synergyd showed up under services and I guessed that might be the one. I guess it was. Installation completed and everything disappeared. On the other, the problem was Task Manager open and also Networkx.exe. I killed them and the installation completed. Again no Gui. I found Synergy in the programs and up came the wizard. I filled in my registration and it looked for plugins, reported nothing, and completed. In the GUI, I went to 'File' and ran the wizard with the same result. After doing the same on both machines, Synergy is working as usual. Do I now have SSL? How would I know?
I'm curious, what version of synergy did you upgrade from? On the GUI, there should be a Settings option (whatever the norm is for the OS, for windows it's EDIT->Settings), that has a checkbox for "Use SSL Encryption". If this ins't checked, it should be on all the machines in that server's space. Once enabled a window will pop up asking to validate the Fingerprint.
In descending order: synergy-v1.7.1-stable-366f813-Windows-x64.msi synergy-1.6.3-stable-9706252-Windows-x64.msi synergy-1.6.1-master-afa24f4-Windows-x64.msi synergy-1.5.1-r2398-Windows-x64.msi synergy-1.5.0-r2278-Windows-x64.msi AFAIK. I seem to recall looking at a beta in the Synergy downloads recently, but do not see the installer in my downloads, so I think I passed on it.
[quote]On the GUI, there should be a Settings option (whatever the norm is for the OS, for windows it's EDIT->Settings), that has a checkbox for "Use SSL Encryption". If this ins't checked, it should be on all the machines in that server's space. Once enabled a window will pop up asking to validate the Fingerprint.[/quote] When I call up the GUI, it freezes and I just get an endless hourglass. Of course Synergy is running already.
That is on the client. On the server, it took much, much longer to stop the hourglass, but now under Edit/Settings, I see the same grayed out option. 'Elevate Mode' is not greyed, though.
Robert Holak
I received the upgrade email yesterday also, but my Synergy still says "Synergy Basic" after running through the wizard again this morning and re-activating the client. I'm guessing they still may be going through all the submissions and are in the process of upgrading accounts?
Emiliano Sturniolo
[quote="Robert Holak"]I received the upgrade email yesterday also, but my Synergy still says "Synergy Basic" after running through the wizard again this morning and re-activating the client. I'm guessing they still may be going through all the submissions and are in the process of upgrading accounts?[/quote] Hi guys. Same here!
Robert Holak
I did have the libns.so plugin but it was leftover from before the basic/pro divide. So, even when I enabled the SSL, it was not working (version mismatch error in the logs). I cleaned up my .synergy directory and ran the activation wizard again and it is not downloading the security plugin yet so I guess they are still in the process of collecting the upgrade submissions and updating accounts. I'll be checking my email and Synergy client periodically but I'm guessing it's just a big influx of user upgrade requests.
Scott Boutwell
Anyone have any luck yet? I've had to revert back to OLDER version as 1.7.1 would not work and was stuck in Basic, even after a clean install and reboot.
Michael Brown
No luck here. I assumed we just had to wait until they got to our response to their survey before it would be activated. I've tried running through the wizard every day without any changes.
speaker
Sorry for the delays! The process of upgrading everyone that responded to the email is less automated than I would care to admit. We'll try to get through everyone quick as we can Thank you all for using synergy and supporting our efforts to improve it.
Emiliano Sturniolo
[quote="speaker"]Sorry for the delays! The process of upgrading everyone that responded to the email is less automated than I would care to admit. We'll try to get through everyone quick as we can Thank you all for using synergy and supporting our efforts to improve it.[/quote] Thanks! We'll get some clue when the activation is confirmed? We'll receive some email o re-run the wizard... Thanks again.
Emiliano Sturniolo
[quote="Emiliano Sturniolo"][quote="speaker"]Sorry for the delays! The process of upgrading everyone that responded to the email is less automated than I would care to admit. We'll try to get through everyone quick as we can Thank you all for using synergy and supporting our efforts to improve it.[/quote] Thanks! We'll get some clue when the activation is confirmed? We'll receive some email o re-run the wizard... Thanks again.[/quote] Done!! I received an email with the "Welcome". Thanks!
Ben Jamin
Same issue here. Got the mail "You're now a Synergy Pro user, congratulations!" today. Cool! But still, cant activate the client with my account data. It keep saying "Login failed, an error occurred. Login is correct, but account has no funds.". :? Edit: Thanks Nick! Got fixed. 8-) Edited by Guest
When I open the GUI on my client Windows 7 computer, it never finishes opening. I see the window, but I also see an hourglass for an hour or more. Am I supposed to disable Synergy first?
  • 2 weeks later...
Steven Steiner
I am having this same issue. I upgraded to Pro from Basic 2 days ago or so and I can't get it to install Pro - it only show up as Basic. I have looked for stray reg entries and tried uninstalling and reinstalling and nothing helps. I put in a support ticket - but I think they are swamped. I am running Windows 7. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks, Steve
Yup. I uninstalled it, rebooted and installed synergy-1.6.3-stable-9706252-Windows-x64 Everything works fine now.
  • 2 months later...
I installed 1.74 and it works, but not with SSL active. I have no clue why I would want SSL anyhow -- at home, at least, or the security issues implicit in Synergy without SSL generally. The developers assume that users know what they know and can read their minds and are up for a research wild goose chase, not a simple and reliable install and setup. Although I have used Synergy for (I'm guessing) a decade now, I have never seen clear information designed for the non-geek, presented in one convenient place and available for the casual user. The "Help" menu is no help and the Wiki is full of ambiguous and scattered info. For Windows computers I have no idea if I need to install SSL or if it is included in the installation. If I need to install a separate program as seems to be inferred, but not spelled out, I am not sure which one or where to get it. My experience ever since I began with Synergy has been one of frustration any time I had to make changes. SSL added more difficulty and has never worked for me. Rather, SSL has been a source of frustration. How about a clear help tooltip or maybe a help file? The Wiki just adds confusion and is only useful for people who enjoy tinkering, in my experience anyhow. It tries to deal with too many operating systems in each article. Simple, clear, instructions for each O/S or family of O/Ss bundled with the installation file or in tooltips or help files spelling out the whys and hows would be far more helpful.