Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Choppy mouse movement on client

Kelly Washington
I just updated to 7.1 (from 6.2 I believe) and the mouse movement on the client is choppy, really choppy. Keyboard seems to also be "choppy" / delayed but it is harder to notice. Server: Windows7 64bit, 64bit synergy client. Wired 1gbit connection. Client: MacBook Pro, OSX 10.10.2. Onw wireless N network 450MBit connection. This is the same setup I have used for a very long time. The output at 'debug1' doesn't have any info printing while it is choppy. Here is a random sampling of debug2 output while the mouse is choppy - I think. Maybe: http://pastebin.com/V07vkcEc I have tried rebooting both machines after the install, and watching for extra network traffic but I don't see anything obvious.
We've seen a few reports of choppy behavior and some of them might be due to an issue we're having with Qt. If the GUI window is open when this is happening, close the window (not minimize) and see if after a few moments the problem persists. On a Mac, closing the window really minimizes it, so you need to quit synergy and run it via command line. The command line can be copy from an info logging and pasted onto a command line. If this doesn't do it, can you check the network resources/monitor and see if there are spikes in networking while the problem is happening? Thanks!
Keith Marshall
I'm getting the same problem running 1.7.1-stable - server on MacOSX 10.8 and client on MacOSX 10.10. I've done as suggested and killed off the UI client, running only from the command line on both server and client. I've verified in the process list (Activity Monitor) that I only have synergys running on the server and synergyc on the client, but the choppy behaviour remains the same. I've kept an eye on the network monitor on both machines but haven't noticed any particularly unusual spikes - the choppiness is happening nearly all the time - it'll maybe work fine for a couple of seconds then become choppy to the point of being unusable.
The only time I have ever had a problem with this is if I were running a torrent or something that has the network saturated like a big high bandwidth download - especially over wireless. Rarely have had it if ever over completely wired connections
Kelly Washington
I ended up rolling back to 1.6.2 which works smooth as can be. I saw no difference in behavior with the UI open or closed on both the client and the server. I was doing no other network activity at the time, but I am on wireless on one of the machines. I would have tried it with wired on both, but managed to misplace my network dongle for the laptop. Besides - 1.6.2 works fine with the laptop on wireless.
Fred Wenzel
I can confirm the same, with OS X 10.10.3 on both the client and server. I just upgraded to Synergy 1.7.1 and the mouse movement is choppy, all the time. I tried and disabled SSL to see if that feature is causing it; no that's not it, still choppy.
Fred Wenzel
The [i]constantly[/i] choppy mouse movement is gone, however, I still see intermittent lag that as not an issue before 1.7.
Matt Skrabanek
I still have the mouse lag in 1.7.2 on my Mac client. This is killing me. What version do I need to downgrade to in order to fix this? Edit: Nevermind, in troubleshooting this issue a few days ago this I had misconfigured my router. It works now Edited by Guest
Marcel E Lopez
Installing the latest nightly build for OS X 10.10 made it worse. It was fine when I was using 1.71 and with 1.72 (before getting the pro upgrade). :cry:
Phil Ricketts
Just purchased this (great to see actual autoconfig and UI now!), used years ago. I'm having the same problem. Choppy on client, lagging for 1-2 seconds every 2-3 seconds. Currently running 1.7.2.
after 1.7.2 pro update (both machines os x 10.10.3) the mouse behaves like the acceleration is set much faster on the target machine. Otherwise fine, no lags.
Scott Cutler
(Note: I just got it working better by turning off SSL) [i]Add me to the list of jerky client movements between Windows 8.1 and OSX 10.10.3. It does not matter if the Mac or the PC is the client. Running 1.7.2 Does anyone know the change Matt Skrabanek made to his router to fix things? [quote="Matt Skrabanek"]I still have the mouse lag in 1.7.2 on my Mac client. This is killing me. What version do I need to downgrade to in order to fix this? Edit: Nevermind, in troubleshooting this issue a few days ago this I had misconfigured my router. It works now[/quote][/i]
  • 1 year later...
John Botha
I just wrote a more detailed explanation & how-to at [url]http://superuser.com/questions/218029/when-using-synergy-it-lags-sometimes/1081065#1081065[/url] on how to improve it, but it boils down to process priority to the OS scheduler, particularly on the client side. The thing is that Synergy depends on a whole lot of other processes to do part of its work (such as dealing with the SSL in Pro), and each of these processes has a priority assigned to it by the OS scheduler. Thus there really is no simple solution. Even after applying the "fix" referred to above, things are often slow after entering a client screen where you haven't been for a while, and that is due to this whole family of processes being put on the scheduler's back burner, so to speak. Most schedulers these days are adaptive, and decrease the priority of user processes which have been idle for some time. For the scheduler to see them as important again requires continued use for a while, such as moving the mouse around a lot after you enter the screen. It's a pain, but that's how OS schedulers work in non-real-time operating systems. There are ways to tweak that, but it's very specific to each OS (even different releases), and fragile (read: breaks easily upon OS patches). Without looking at the code, I expect Nick & team would only really solve this by pushing Synergy down to kernel driver level, which would make it way more fragile, and cause a significant price jump.
  • 2 years later...
Aurelian Ro.

Hello, 
I am still affected by the jumpy mouse , or choppy how you call it. 
I experience this in every possible configuration, mac server , mac client / windows client, or reverse . I only need to have 2 computers connected but is not a smooth movement, I can't do nothing on the client side... 
I have the imac pro and 8700k for example, <1ms ping between the computers, no packets lost

I am using the latest of the synergy 2 versions. Should I try version 1 ?

Edited by Aurelian Ro.
  • 1 year later...
gonzobrains

I started experiencing this a week ago after months of no problem.  I'm using Synergy 1.11 on a Mac server and Windows client.  I tried upgrading to the latest today but I still have the problem.  I'm using a wired connection with both computers on the same switch.