Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Why do you require a cloud service for management and the config

Aaron Moore

I think this is their way of trying to monetize their app. For example, i used to run this on my laptop so that the adjecent computer could connect to it... but as it is now, I don't even see how I'd switch the config when I move from home to office because of the "auto" "cloud" thing.

G. James Berigan

You can override the cloud service configuration by setting your synergy.conf file immutable on the machine acting as host (man chflags). At least, you can if the host machine is macOS or Linux. I don't know if Windows has an equivalent setting. It's a fancy form of file locking.

For different locations, assuming there is only the host overlapping, a customized config file may be able to have multiple destinations for the same direction and only the one that actually exists would work. Otherwise, maybe home machines are configured to the left and work machines to the right? Or the left 50% and right 50% from the top of the laptop if they're al up? Or using a script to swap configuration files before running Synergy? Again, it would need to be immutable to prevent the cloud configuration from overriding/overwriting.

• 1 month later...

Hi, as many other users, i'm concernt about the cloud service requirment. it would be great if you just add an installing option to manually set this for the users that want this feature and leave the option to disable from scratch for the rest of us.

Hi, as many other users, i'm concernt about the cloud service requirment. it would be great if you just add an installing option to manually set this for the users that want this feature and leave the option to disable from scratch for the rest of us.

EDIT: Just read that this will be a added feature in 2.1 thanks

If you are posting about any of the following issues/concerns, please note that the response you will most likely get from the community is that these features are coming in Synergy 2.1. Without further ado...

- Less reliant online mode

- "Tinker-y" Settings panel

- Removing and renaming a computer on the grid

- A more polished uninstallation script

- One-click updating process

- Making the window size and elements dynamically adjustable

- Tray icon for quick access to settings

- Offline mode (YES!)

- Better UI icons and labels

- Better OS support (older versions of OS X (now named macOS), etc.)

- More reliable cloud

- Minor glitches and crashes (ex. with Chrome crashing on activation and Firefox not working in some instances)

_________________________________________________________________________________________

The following changes will be exclusive to Synergy 2 Pro users.

- Drag and drop file support

- Copy and paste file support (ex. Ctrl + C a Word document and Ctrl + V on the other system)

• Note for this that you CAN copy and paste text and images on your clipboard. Just not entire files.

- Synchronization of locked status and lock screens

- Wake-on-LAN (magic packet, wake one system to wake all)

- Screensaver Sync (similar to Lock Screen Sync)

- Audio Sharing (share audio output between speakers of all systems)

- Different computer profiles (ex. one profile for surrounding systems at work and another for the home)

- Wrap around edges of computer layout

- Key swapping - ex. mapping Ctrl to Cmd, etc.

And as an added bonus, note that developer support (something similar to an API) will be added in Synergy 2.2 or 2.3!

If what you want isn't on this list, go ahead and post it in the "Feature Ideas" forum and a Synergy team member will review your suggestion.