Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

How to configure dead zones? And other misc questions.

Hi folks,

I've been a long time Synergy 1 Pro user and just upgraded to 2.0 basic with the sale the other day. I'm now starting to use Synergy 2.0 and feel a bit disoriented to say the least.

First of all - is there official documentation for Synergy 2.0? A quick pointer to that will likely address my questions.

I'm using Synergy with two Ubuntu 17.04 systems. Am I correct that the system tray icon and configuration tool no longer exists with Synergy 2.0? Is ~/.synergy/ no longer used?

I'm able to share my keyboard and mouse between my two systems, but I'd like to configure "dead zones" so that when I have my cursor in the top-left area of my screen (where the XFCE start menu is), it doesn't jump over to my other system. Ditto for the lower-left corner. I'd also like to require a short delay before moving my cursor to the other system. These were things I was previously able to do via the system tray dialog. If I have to edit a config file to do this (it looks like ~/.config/Synergy/Synergy.conf is still being used), I'm comfortable doing that.

Also, without the tray icon configuration dialog, I'd like to know whether an SSL connection is being used by default, how the certs were verified without prompting me, etc. Again, some basic documentation would properly address this and a pointer to that would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'm on the same boat... I have been using Synergy for years, I upgraded and now I'm lost!...

I have been seriously thinking of downgrading to version 1.

s there any way for us to configure our systems manually? 

• Like 1

Same story here, I upgraded for additional features and wound up losing all of them. Very disappointing and am probably going to wind up going back. 

• Like 1

I also upgraded to 2.0 Pro. I installed Synergy on my Win 10 desktop. No issues.

I installed it on my Linux laptop, it gets stuck on the GUI, showing only the Synergy logo, but doesn't give any options for configuration. I checked the logs and saw this:

[ Service ] [2017-11-26T22:40:08] debug: retrying websocket connection now
[ Service ] [2017-11-26T22:40:08] debug: connecting websocket: pubsub1.cloud.symless.com:443
[ Service ] [2017-11-26T22:40:08] error: websocket handshake error 3: WebSocket Upgrade handshake failed
[ Service ] [2017-11-26T22:40:08] error: websocket handshake response 400: Bad Request
[ Service ] [2017-11-26T22:40:08] debug: clearing last profile snapshot
[ Service ] [2017-11-26T22:40:08] debug: retrying websocket connection in 19s 

This repeated every attempt.

I pinged pubsub1.cloud.symless.com - got replies between 56ms to 118ms.

I checked https://pubsub1.cloud.symless.com:443 and it appeared to be a default NGINX installation.

First of all, let me say that I am forum-shy. I only post on forums I really care about. I love Synergy, it has simplified my life a lot. I will not stop using it any time soon.

I do feel however the development of version 2 has gone the wrong way. Most of us who have been using Synergy for years, are advanced tech users, with complex needs. I don't like simple interfaces that don't offer advanced controls and options. These are the options necessary for us to configure and finetune our complex setups. I want pixel perfect accuracy, when it comes to my monitor positions and mouse transitions. Drag and drop simply won't cut it. 

I don't understand why the new interface needs to connect to an external server. For me this is a major potential security flaw.

I was really excited to install v2 as soon as I got the email. Today, I'm sorry to say I uninstalled it from my systems and have gone back to the previous version. I'm not asking for a refund, as I hope one of the next few versions address my needs.

I'm totally with Arkadian - I've loved the value Synergy has provided and I'm not going to request a refund for my recently purchased Synergy 2 license. That said, I'm back to using Synergy v1 and have no intention to move to v2 given the current state things are in. I hope Nick and the team take the feedback in this thread under serious consideration.

I'm feeling the same. I was looking forward to upgrading to v2, and the ease of connectivity. v1 was quite fiddly, but I had it set up to exactly how I liked it and it was seamless (mostly). I have a PC server and macbook client, and head dead zones and more importantly the key mapping just right. Upgrading removed all of that configuration and key mapping and I can't find a way to get it back to how I like it. There's no configuration screen or setup. I thought maybe it was an online setup. Nope... It works in that it set up the connection seamlessly and instantly, but now it's unusable without being able to configure it. 

• Like 1
riChchestMat

I recommend that Symless revert back to selling 1.8 until v2 is a mature product. 1.8 works quite well. I upgraded to 2 (free upgrade as an early adopter) to see if it would fix some long standing issues (such as # on a UK Mac keyboard) and immediately uninstalled and reverted. It's a curious decision the direction Symless has taken, and something that should have been provided as an alternative rather than hard replacement. I don't know how well v1 was selling, but that's potential revenue being turned away. It's also concerning to see a "Troll's Cave" section where the CEO mocks customer complaints. 

RussellPierce

It is almost like Synergy 2 is the 'Home' product and Synergy 1 was the 'Professional' product.  Then again, Synergy 1 was a code base with a lot of blood sweat and tears in it and Synergy 2 is just getting going.  So, maybe it'll just take time before we're at feature parity for some of the stuff we were used to having?

• Like 1