Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Not connecting through proxy

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Sorry again for the delay. Please rest assured this is a very high priority. We have a lot of urgent issues to deal with, and this is one of them.

@Steve Williams Proxy support for Windows will be in 2.0.9, right?

1 hour ago, klm46 said:

Come on Guys. This is really bad! 2 Releases later, and windows only??? This is a joke. I use Linux, so what about that?

I would like to support this.

Optionally setting the IP manually would be absolutely preferable. If I would tell my IT department about the way the new synergy works, they would see it as a key sniffer that potentially sends home everything I type. They would definately not allow the use of synergy.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
22 hours ago, klm46 said:

I use Linux, so what about that?

Sorry for the delay in adding proxy support. We will be adding proxy support for Mac and Linux after we've added Windows proxy support. Proxy support was delayed because we prioritized other issues that affect more users. Most corporate environments these days use a transparent proxy (which requires no client config), but we understand that there are still some legacy networks that use a traditional proxy (e.g. SOCKS). Most of the users needing proxy support are Windows users, which is why we're starting with that OS. We do understand that Mac and Linux are important too.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
21 hours ago, Kristian said:

they would see it as a key sniffer that potentially sends home everything I type

Synergy never reports keystrokes back to our servers; the cloud connection is only used to share IPs between your machines. Keystrokes and mouse movements are only ever sent locally between your computers (for performance reasons). We use cloud servers instead of zero-conf (e.g. Bonjour) because zero-conf normally blocked on corporate networks. We understand that being able to add an IP manually would solve the issue, but being an edge case, it's not something we've prioritized yet. We do plan on adding manual/offline config options in the near future for people without access to the Internet (I can't say exactly when).

GranPaSmurf

I usually get release notes, but I haven't seen them for this version. I'll bug the developers, but this is a long holiday weekend for most.

It's my impression that offline support is planned for Version 2.1, still several months away.

I bought it this morning. Installed 2.08. And am facing the same issue with proxy. Cannot connect! :-(

How do I configure the proxy?

GranPaSmurf

Hey guys,

I've been watching your thread but I've had nothing to add.

Except maybe this today: Developers don't live here. A few months ago, some of the developers would skim this forum and occasionally offer some insight, but they are all pulled away to drill down on other tasks. The same is true for Nick Only rarely does he skim over and he's told the moderators that even that will be less and less.

The only way to have your issue in front of developers is through the Support channel. I'd suggest you each submit, (or re-submit) support tickets. The assignment of developer's time starts at the Support level.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

We are adding proxy support for Windows. Linux and Mac will follow shortly aftwards. Thanks for your patience.

• Nick Bolton locked this topic