Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Not connecting through proxy

Hi Team,

When I come on line at work, synergy2 will not connect through our proxy.  There are no settings menus for me to go to to fix this, no other help prompts, nothing.  Am I going to have to downgrade to fix this?'

• Like 1
UltimateOutsider

Just came here to report the same thing. I am running Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit. synergy-config just shows a "Sign in with Symless" button, and clicking that immediately results in "Couldn't connect to Synergy Cloud."

There are no menu items, no preferences, no place to even type in my symless account name. My other internet apps all work fine through the proxy.

How do we fix this?

UltimateOutsider

Just rebooted the computer to see if that would make things any better... and Synergy crashes on startup.

I just uninstalled Synergy2 and re-installed 1.8.5, which still works fine. Dang.

Edited by UltimateOutsider

I have the same problem. I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 as the server. I was able to come further by wrapping 'synergy-config' with proxychains but then I a ran into the IP mismatch issue. Perhaps you have better luck?

Here are the steps I did:

# install proxychains
sudo apt-get install proxychains

# create a proxychains config.
mkdir ~/.proxychains
cp /etc/proxychains.conf ~/.proxychains/
# edit ~/.proxychains/proxychains.conf to your needs
# In my case I had to comment out 'proxy_dns'
# and replace the pre-configured socks4 proxy down in the bottom
# with 'http <ip address of proxy> <port>'

# wrap synergy-config with proxychains
proxychains synergy-config 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I just purchased synergy 2.  I try to connect at work. (Ubuntu 16.04), I am getting a "Couldn't connect to Synergy Cloud. Please check your internet connection".  My internet connection is fine. Probably a problem with the proxy.  

... and it didn't work on my MacBook Pro at home.  I will open or comment in a different thread.

• 5 weeks later...

Symless 2 is unusable in corporate environments - it does not work with HTTP proxies. It ignores http_proxy/HTTP_PROXY + https_proxy/HTTPS_PROXY, and systemwide NetworkManager proxy. Here's my logs (with colourful replacements of auth tokens). I've tried the only suggested resolution of a re-install and one-up'd it by creating a totally fresh Fedora 27 VM. No improvement.

[ Service ] [2018-01-19T13:56:52] debug: service log path: /var/log/synergy/synergy-service.log
[ Service ] [2018-01-19T13:56:52] debug: install dir: /usr/bin
[ Service ] [2018-01-19T13:56:52] info: starting service...
[ Service ] [2018-01-19T13:56:52] warning: core uid is not set in config file
[ Service ] [2018-01-19T13:56:52] info: Session monitor started
[ Service ] [2018-01-19T13:56:52] info: Active X session changed from "--" to "2"
[ Service ] [2018-01-19T13:56:52] critical: Couldn't determine display for active X session "2". Ignoring switch
[ Service ] [2018-01-19T13:56:52] debug: creating rpc endpoints
[ Service ] [2018-01-19T13:56:52] debug: rpc endpoints created
[ Service ] [2018-01-19T13:56:58] debug: setting core uid from rpc: 1000
[ Service ] [2018-01-19T13:56:58] debug: saying hello to config ui
[ Service ] [2018-01-19T13:56:58] debug: retrying websocket connection now
[ Service ] [2018-01-19T13:56:58] debug: connecting websocket: pubsub1.cloud.symless.com:443
[ Service ] [2018-01-19T13:57:40] error: can't send profile snapshot, not yet received from cloud
[ Service ] [2018-01-19T13:57:41] debug: setting websocket headers, channel=33323 auth=<MELON_MANIA> version=2.0.4-stable check=true
[ Service ] [2018-01-19T13:57:41] debug: initial websocket connection
[ Service ] [2018-01-19T13:57:41] warning: already connecting websocket
[ Service ] [2018-01-19T13:57:41] debug: connecting websocket: pubsub1.cloud.symless.com:443
[ Service ] [2018-01-19T13:57:41] debug: got user auth token: <BANANAS>
[ Service ] [2018-01-19T13:57:49] debug: retrying cloud connection
[ Service ] [2018-01-19T13:57:49] debug: retrying websocket connection now
[ Service ] [2018-01-19T13:57:49] warning: already connecting websocket
[ Service ] [2018-01-19T13:57:49] debug: connecting websocket: pubsub1.cloud.symless.com:443
[ Service ] [2018-01-19T13:58:57] info: Active X session changed from "--" to "2"
[ Service ] [2018-01-19T13:58:57] critical: Couldn't determine display for active X session "2". Ignoring switch
[ Service ] [2018-01-19T13:58:57] info: Session monitor stopped
[ Service ] [2018-01-19T13:58:57] debug: ignoring core process shutdown request, core is not running
[ Service ] [2018-01-19T13:58:57] debug: ignoring core process shutdown request, core is not running

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
On 24/01/2018 at 3:24 PM, jewnix said:

Is proxy inheritance on the road-map?

Yes, it's scheduled for 2.1 which is due in about 6 months.

I just bought it and tried to use it, but it does not work behind a proxy. There is no configuration or mention before you buy it that it does not work behind proxies.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
22 hours ago, Karlheinz said:

I just bought it and tried to use it, but it does not work behind a proxy. There is no configuration or mention before you buy it that it does not work behind proxies.

We've increased the priority of this feature. It should be available within the next few weeks.

Rajendrakumar Chinnaiyan

I just spent my money on Synergy 2 Pro and now regretting it. Its total waste on corporate networks with proxy. I need it for my work and its unusable.

Just keep in mind that most of your end users are working in corporate environment and need the proxy support badly.

Edited by Rajendrakumar Chinnaiyan

Exactly, I am amazed you build a product and miss this critical feature and no workaround. dead.. Ideally I would want a refund but if this in not available within a month I may choose to request a refund..

Why should software that provides local convenience ever need to call home to symless servers? Do you really think that the type of people that are running multiple systems and need to share a keyboard and mouse also need configuration to be so EASY that it takes a cloud based service to remove the hassle of reading documentation and maybe writing a simple config file? The dial-home-for-configuration misfeature has turned Synergy into malware.

I second this. In almost all of the usecases I can imagine the connected machines are sitting in the same network. There is no need to phone home. What a stupid idea! Let me just enter the bloody IPs.

At least put a warning on your web page, "DOES NOT WORK WITH PROXIES". Now I have to re-install an older version...

Even when putting the IP-Range synergy is connecting to in an full proxy-execption (https-inspection and url-filtering) the connection do not suceed.

By the way, the IP-Range is

NetRange:       131.253.1.0 - 131.253.1.255
CIDR:           131.253.1.0/24
NetName:        MICROSOFT
NetHandle:      NET-131-253-1-0-1
Parent:         NET131 (NET-131-0-0-0-0)
NetType:        Direct Assignment
OriginAS:       
Organization:   Microsoft Corp (MSFT-Z)
RegDate:        2011-06-21
Updated:        2017-01-13
Ref:            https://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-131-253-1-0-1

Ans this range is used for skype for business - i also had an expection in our checkpoint. so does symless compare to microsoft?

• Thanks 1

I too just downloaded 2.0.5 and am disappointed that I cannot use it due to Proxy connection. I was going to try to used this is a Secure Network as well that has no Internet connection. Guess that is out as well. 

Please make the next update #1) allowed to set up proxy settings. and or #2) set so there is no need to call home. 

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't upgrade to 2.0 despite the numerous e-mails with offers I received. Though it was tempting, I didn't upgrade mainly because I didn't see any feature I'd like, I thought the call home thing was optional, and I assumed it would still work in my current work environment.

I'm SOOO HAPPY I didn't upgrade. But I still feel bad for promoting the product with co-workers that are now stuck with a non-working solution they have already paid for.

I really hope there is a patch out before 2.1 time frame.

• 3 weeks later...

Same here, come on guys, how come that such a useful tool makes such a big mistake... Internet Connection ? Really ? I can understand that you want to make things easier, but come on, a lot of people that are using Synergy knows how to setup an IP and don't want to connect over internet, furthermore if it's not possible through a proxy... 

So disappointed... I just bought it based on the very good memory I had about the past version. Could you just have one "Newbie" and one "Pro" version ? As there is already two buying options, the versions behind could be that the Basic one has easy-setup through Internet and the Pro version doesn't require any outside connection ? Please... 

• Thanks 1

Don't worry. The CEO told us 4 weeks ago, that this feature will be available in about for weeks. So "about" tomorrow the 2.08 will be released with offline-Support :)

• Like 1
  • Nick Bolton locked this topic