Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

wayland support

On 3/12/2023 at 10:45 PM, WhiteMud said:

The beta that is available on the download page is working with Wayland!!  It's a very nice update overall too, not just the Wayland add on

Was wondering if you needed to do anything special to get it working ? As mentionned in my previous post, it works but mouse is on the screen but not moving, yet i see stuff being highlighted as if i had an extra invisible pointer. Thanks

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TrentC

• ccoenen

• Rubin Starset

• UnixOutlaw

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

not sure when wayland support is planned, but linux is moving pretty fast in that direction. Doesn't effect me at the moment, but I'm sure my next upgrade will see wayland on my computer either alone

A message to the developers: I saw in your issues page where the lack complaints from licensed users (as opposed to Github users) makes this look like a low priority issue to you. As a licensed user,

I look at comments like, "if you want Synergy, you need to switch to Xorg" to being equivalent to, "you must run the program in Windows XP compatibility mode". The new product has been out for ne

Posted Images

15 hours ago, AceD said:

Was wondering if you needed to do anything special to get it working ? As mentionned in my previous post, it works but mouse is on the screen but not moving, yet i see stuff being highlighted as if i had an extra invisible pointer. Thanks

I didn't experience this at all, can you provide more information?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2023 at 6:21 PM, WhiteMud said:

I didn't experience this at all, can you provide more information?

I will try to make a video of the issue, kind of hard to explain honestly. I just cant wait to stop using x11... feels like i'm living in the past XD

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Apparently there's a library called 'libei' for "Emulated Input, primarily aimed at the Wayland stack", and that uses Synergy as an example use case:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libinput/libei/-/blob/main/README.md

---

The library appears to be in active development as as per this tweet

Bolton is aware of it.

So this might be happening some time this year or the next. Not that I care too much -- I ended up putting enough money aside over the years to buy enough screens I no longer need Synergy lol.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, AceD said:

Any updates on this? is it fixed in the new synergy 3 version that came out?

Thanks

Version 3 has not "come out." It is in Alpha release now.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup so i just tried wayland again with the latest version and its still the same fuckary. Since explaning what is happening is kind of hard and i have no idea what wording to use in googe to find a potential solution. Here is a youtube link demoeing the issue

Server is running off a windows 10 PC
I have 2 linux computers, one is running kubuntu with wayland, the other running kali linux. As you can see theres an invisible pointer thats going over the synergy settings, thats me moving my mouse... yet the damn pointer aint following. Like i managed to catch 8 seconds of it... aint easy finding and invisible mouse on screen. Anyhow, anybody that could either help me word what i should be searching for in google for a solution or provide a fix would be amazing. All 3 pc's running latest version of synergy, nothing in the synergy logs seem to indicate an issue. I am under the impression im the only one experiencing this and not joining on the wayland fun yet. Thanks to anyone who helps out.

UnixOutlaw

I've pretty much given up on this "feature" (promised since 2014) - I now run Pop!_OS 22 - and it defaults to X11 instead of Wayland...

I think their indication, even right smack dab on the front page that they support Linux is misleading. What if I didn't know it doesn't work on Wayland and I purchased it? They really should make that clear to the users before purchasing. Kind of sus to me.

• Like 1
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

I appreciate that many of you are angry about the lack of Wayland support.

Wayland is an interesting beast. It’s designed around a security philosophy that excludes software like Synergy by design. So, they need to make special exceptions to allow software like Synergy to work. We tired implementing Wayland support for Synergy many times, and it has cost us a lot of development time. Each time the Wayland developers changed the interface, and each time we faced different security related challenges which seemed to be impassable.

However, there is hope! A new Wayland library has been developed which mentions Synergy quite a lot, hinting that this is the special exception we’ve been waiting for… it’s called libei.

Wayland is very important to us, and we will add support as soon as it is possible. Thanks for your patience.

For now, please switch back to using X11. It is easy to do this in most Linux distros, e.g. Ubuntu

If you are unable to use X11 for some reason, and you have purchased within the last 30 days, please contact us for a refund.

1 hour ago, Nick Bolton said:

We tired implementing Wayland support for Synergy many times, and it has cost us a lot of development time.

Can you point to one of these attempts? I am following this topic since at least 2016 and I have never once seen that any such attempt has been made. Much less "many"?

1 hour ago, Nick Bolton said:

Perhaps if you had communicated such problems before hand instead of silence, there would be less angry people. Maybe some posting of updates on progress, or failures on a regular basis would help with that. Monthly? Quarterly? Biannual? Even to even say , "nothing to report."

jaimeCabra

Lack of wayland support is not ideal, regardless of wayland explicitly stopping this sort of thing. wayland fractional scaling is the thing I miss the most. but I have an imac, a windows laptop and a linux laptop in front of me and the switch between them is pretty seemless.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/22/2023 at 10:14 AM, Nick Bolton said:

Wayland is an interesting beast. It’s designed around a security philosophy that excludes software like Synergy by design. So, they need to make special exceptions to allow software like Synergy to work. We tired implementing Wayland support for Synergy many times, and it has cost us a lot of development time. Each time the Wayland developers changed the interface, and each time we faced different security related challenges which seemed to be impassable.

However, there is hope! A new Wayland library has been developed which mentions Synergy quite a lot, hinting that this is the special exception we’ve been waiting for… it’s called libei.

Wayland is very important to us, and we will add support as soon as it is possible. Thanks for your patience.

For now, please switch back to using X11. It is easy to do this in most Linux distros, e.g. Ubuntu

If you are unable to use X11 for some reason, and you have purchased within the last 30 days, please contact us for a refund.

Honestly feels like a logical and rational response. Open source can move fast and be fickle. I just purchased Synergy after using Barrier for years now; it's become an essential part of my workflow and I've learned that when I rely on a piece of tech, it's almost always worth paying for it.

Instantly, Synergy has improved my virtual KVM experience. I am hopeful that with semi up-to-date responses like these and on the GitHub issue on the matter, we may truly see Wayland support in Synergy someday. Hopefully before Fedora 40 drops X11 support!

• 2 weeks later...
Rubin Starset

Any workarounds for the missing mouse cursor on Wayland as a client? Though for me I can still see a stuck cursor. Thanks.

Edited by Rubin Starset
4 hours ago, Rubin Starset said:

Any workarounds for the missing mouse cursor on Wayland as a client? Though for me I can still see a stuck cursor. Thanks.

I learned today there exists KVMs with mouse roaming, i.e. it will switch the input of mouse when you move cursor to edge of screen.

https://www.store.level1techs.com/products/p/4-port-km-switch-with-usb-32-gen-1-mouse-roaming-function

Stuck in the Matrix

Communication is key. I know because I've screwed up in the past because I didn't communicate enough with my customers. People can be really forgiving when you are upfront and honest with them. That said, I'd recommend you create a Hack-a-Thon or open bounty for anyone that can get even partial Wayland support working. If the mouse arrow was visible, that would probably solve a lot of use-case issues. 

I would post a challenge with a reward for whatever you feel is appropriate. "$5,000 for any user who can write some code along with technical documentation that solves some of our Wayland issues." Maybe create a scope document and break down the reward based on the feature list bullet points ($2,500 to get that damn mouse icon to be visible etc.)

Just a suggestion. I know how aggravating software development can be! 

• 1 month later...

Fedora 39 has everything in place to run input-leap now. How do I know? Because I just tried! (also because I read about it here: Gnome Blog about Fedora 39. Look for the headline "input leap".)

What does this mean? It means if you're on Fedora, you can now install input leap from packages, and ignore the compatibility warning that still pops up.

Rubin Starset

@Nick Bolton Any updates from the Symless team? libei hit 1.1.0 about 2 months ago.

KDE is about to roll into Wayland territory by default. At this point I'm happy to give Symless another $50 to get Wayland support, if it means I don't have to waste a day fumbling around getting input-leap built and blunt forcing it into my Debian setup.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Neil Carpenter
On 8/22/2023 at 10:14 AM, Nick Bolton said:

It's probably the promise to implement it as far back as 2019.  I go through cycles of using Synergy for something and dropping it and, every single time, I'm surprised to find that Wayland is still unsupported.

Meanwhile, other projects seem to be making ground on solving this for Wayland.

• 4 weeks later...
saulotoledo

On April 2024 (beta already on March) Fedora 40 will be released without X support. Are you having some progress with libei you could share? Is there a chance to have even an alpha version before Fedora 40?

Edited by saulotoledo
Disappointed
On 9/27/2023 at 5:26 PM, Maku said:

I learned today there exists KVMs with mouse roaming, i.e. it will switch the input of mouse when you move cursor to edge of screen.

https://www.store.level1techs.com/products/p/4-port-km-switch-with-usb-32-gen-1-mouse-roaming-function

I've been searching for hardware KMs that can do this a well.  Unfortunately none of them support multi-head configurations, which is a hard pass for me.

Also Linux support is usually very dodgy and wayland support even more rare.

Edited by Xygnal