Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

wayland support

Despite my empty threats earlier - despite me opting for the "latest" Apple Bluetooth peripherals (Magic Keyboard 2 with fingerprint thingie and Magic Trackpad 2), despite me singing the praises of Universal Control - Synergy is still about 10,000x more reliable... I can't quantify the amount of times I've had to do "unix-y" stuff to kill "ensemble" [the name of Universal Control daemon in MacOS] - but it was so often - I needed a shell script...   anecdotally, everytime I NEEDED Universal Control to do something on the other Mac, IT DIDN'T WORK!

And - gaming on MacOS is still like utter garbage compared to Linux and SteamPlay with Proton - so - My WFH (and play) setup is now :

Left - MacBook Pro M1 Monterey 12.6.1 on 32" QHD 144 Hz monitor plus MacBook Pro M1 retina display (my personal device - 8 GB RAM 256 GB SSD)

Middle - Ubuntu 22.04 Ryzen 7 with 32 GB of DDR4 3200 Mhz RAM and AMD GPU [Radeon RX 6600/6600 XT/6600M], TOP: 32" 75 Hz, BOTTOM, 32" 144 Hz (curved gaming)

Right - MacBook Pro M1 Monterey 12.6.1 on 32" QHD 144 Hz monitor plus MacBook Pro M1 retina display (my work device 16 Gb RAM 512 GB SSD) + iPad Pro 12.9 as Sidecar display

Not gonna lie - WAYLAND support would be f--king KICKARSE - but I can live without it.  If I had to buy my Synergy Pro license over again - I'd happily pay that reasonable sum, to get Wayland support.

One thing Mac does have over Linux (in my experience) is audio quality... 

Edited by UnixOutlaw
  • Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TrentC

• ccoenen

• Rubin Starset

• UnixOutlaw

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

not sure when wayland support is planned, but linux is moving pretty fast in that direction. Doesn't effect me at the moment, but I'm sure my next upgrade will see wayland on my computer either alone

A message to the developers: I saw in your issues page where the lack complaints from licensed users (as opposed to Github users) makes this look like a low priority issue to you. As a licensed user,

I look at comments like, "if you want Synergy, you need to switch to Xorg" to being equivalent to, "you must run the program in Windows XP compatibility mode". The new product has been out for ne

Posted Images

On 11/11/2022 at 7:03 AM, Bill Burdick said:

My mistake -- I think the Steam Deck does not use Wayland in desktop mode, only in game mode so this is probably just X <-> X.

Maybe someone else can confirm whether Wayland <-> X works.

No, it does not work.

The only working thing I know of on Wayland, is if you have a Xwayland window open, then it can work on the server side.  If you have a fullscreeen Xwayland window open, then it works until you close that window or minimize it.

I had always hoped someone could just spawn a fullscreen, transparent, clickthrough, Xwayland 'window' as a temporary workaround, but it's been years.  There's probably some technical reason it's not that simple.

• 3 weeks later...

J

28 minutes ago, KristijanZic said:

What is the state of Wayland support? It was promised in 2017. now it'll be 2023. next month. This is an essential feature! What is going on?

Just give up and go back to X if you rely on it. They aren't going to provide support for it

https://github.com/input-leap/input-leap/pull/1524

Not Synergy, but initial support is being drafted for input-leap, which is a fork of Synergy. I imagine since it's open source Synergy will get it eventually to.

If I had to estimate I'd say we're still months away from an initial release just due to the sheer number of projects that are touched by these changes.

The really tech savvy could hypothetically build all of these components with the patches and run it today on Wayland, in theory, but I do not recommend it at all. There's plenty of bugs, and glitches, but it's coming.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, WhiteMud said:

This is bullshit, obviously there is no moderators here either what a fucking joke.

I honestly don't blame anyone at Symless for not replying, most comments I've seen on the matter are seriously toxic.

In the end it has taken active development by Peter Hutterer (one of the most seasoned input developers in Linux) and a new protocol to get it working.

• Like 1

And I do blame them. For many years, the comments were polite requests and encouragements.

But after 60 Months of a valid, important request getting ignored, it's the users who feel a "toxic" treatment, and respond accordingly.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, jwilkes said:

And I do blame them. For many years, the comments were polite requests and encouragements.

But after 60 Months of a valid, important request getting ignored, it's the users who feel a "toxic" treatment, and respond accordingly.

I checked the talk Peter Hutterer gave on libinput back then - it is from 2014.

libei is pretty fresh¹, agreed - but I don't see how "waiting for someone to do magic" is the right approach, without any communication to at least *why* you are waiting.

¹ August 2020. That's two years back now.

Edited by jwilkes
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/16/2022 at 2:18 AM, arch said:

Input-Leap just merged those changes. That does not mean one can use it right away, but it does mean they are confident enough in their solution. Now we just need to wait for the wayland side of things to also release stable versions of the required new apis. So, yes, it could still be a while before it starts working again, but at least now there seems to be an agreed-upon way to how things should be done between the different involved components.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

This really does suck that you can't use a modern day Ubuntu version with Synergy. With that being said I really don't know how to this team makes it. I paid $30 for this niche software 5 years ago. I spend more than that on a single Friday night dinner. The amount of changes they have to keep up with across multiple operating systems and the load of crap they have to deal with from people that paid a little bit of money 10 years ago is staggering. I don't know how they stay motivated. At least if they keep the software cheap I would happily renew each year and at the same time would keep the devs motivated and responsible for keeping the product up to date.

Edited by notta
  • Like 1
On 12/15/2022 at 10:22 PM, WhiteMud said:

This is bullshit, obviously there is no moderators here either what a fucking joke.

Seeing that my post is still here; it's telling us that no one is looking at these forums or cares.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

The beta that is available on the download page is working with Wayland!!  It's a very nice update overall too, not just the Wayland add on

UnixOutlaw

Stopped running Ubuntu recently - I'm Pop! OS (22.04) everywhere I can now (Ryzen desktop, Ryzen Thinkpad, Raspberry Pi4B 8 GB) and none of them seem to have Wayland (whereas Ubuntu - even on Pi4 defaults to Wayland)...

Found Synergy server too flaky on Linux (for Mac clients) so I run Synergy server on MacOS...  Still get the odd niggle (e.g. cursor jumping back to server machine when I'm typing something, e.g. in a terminal) - but seems reasonably stable...

• 2 weeks later...

Currently running the beta, seems to work now on wayland. However i'm facing an issue and not sure if its a configuration issue or a bug. I do have tracking on my linux laptop, however the cursor does not move yet i i know something is moving because when i move my mouse around, i do see stuff being highlighted as if the mouse was hovering over the item. But the cursor remains in the same place. So the arrow of the cursors remains in the same position, but i have an invisible mouse that can move around. Sure my comment looks like a complaint, but its more me reporting my issue. I'm so happy to see some tractions from the Dev's to have this working on wayland. As for my bug report, if someone knows where i could report the bug for this issue and point me out where do i need to fill the bug reports. That would be great.

51 minutes ago, AceD said:

Currently running the beta, seems to work now on wayland. However i'm facing an issue and not sure if its a configuration issue or a bug. I do have tracking on my linux laptop, however the cursor does not move yet i i know something is moving because when i move my mouse around, i do see stuff being highlighted as if the mouse was hovering over the item. But the cursor remains in the same place. So the arrow of the cursors remains in the same position, but i have an invisible mouse that can move around. Sure my comment looks like a complaint, but its more me reporting my issue. I'm so happy to see some tractions from the Dev's to have this working on wayland. As for my bug report, if someone knows where i could report the bug for this issue and point me out where do i need to fill the bug reports. That would be great.

Yep running pop os in wayland (I have to use wayland because a lot of my software that I need (3D tools, prusa slicer etc) don’t work at a decent speed in x) and I have the same issue can see the mouse move over and then the mouse is invisible but I can mouse over things and see them highlight and I can click but no pointer is visible. 

• Like 1
UnixOutlaw

Also - I won't be trying the beta of 3 until there's arm64 DEB files for Ubuntu / Debian (eventually got raspbian arm64 version to run on Pop!_OS by finding a place to grab and install libssl 1)...

Main reason is none of my Pop!_OS machines are running Wayland - so I no longer have need of compatible Synergy...

Edited by UnixOutlaw