Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

wayland support

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TrentC

• ccoenen

• Rubin Starset

• UnixOutlaw

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

not sure when wayland support is planned, but linux is moving pretty fast in that direction. Doesn't effect me at the moment, but I'm sure my next upgrade will see wayland on my computer either alone

A message to the developers: I saw in your issues page where the lack complaints from licensed users (as opposed to Github users) makes this look like a low priority issue to you. As a licensed user,

I look at comments like, "if you want Synergy, you need to switch to Xorg" to being equivalent to, "you must run the program in Windows XP compatibility mode". The new product has been out for ne

Posted Images

In my case, I was panicking and had to do a lot of research to get to this forum and found old thread as well. I wish there is more information when/if they are going to implement support for Wayland.

I cannot also just blame Symless not working on this since I have found a few other screen related products are not supporting Wayland yet. So, there must be something it is difficult to support Wayland right away.

jonathon_b

Sad.

Latest update to Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS breaks synergy, siting wayland. Have a feeling as more and more LTS'ers (who want a stable, as largely unmodified work environment as possible) update that this will become a larger pain-point. Synergy 3 won't be out till next year, so that will not offer any relief. 

• Like 1

I was recently extolling the virtues of Synergy to my partner as they wanted a solution by which they could control their windows gaming PC from their laptop running linux. But since you still don't support wayland this has caused them to look elsewhere for alternatives. You have lost a sale because of this.

I don‘t think any amount of voting will change the willingness and/or ability of symless at this point. As you said, this has been coming for a decade, now.

I just tested Synergy 3 alpha version. It doesn't work on Wayland still. I don't know if Wayland is on the todo list for version 3.

The window opens and finds the other computer but it doesn't share the mouse and keyboard!

• 2 weeks later...

+1 x11 and xorg is old news, Please increase priority on this. I love the product and i paid for the liscense to support the product, i wish my monney be used to get it working on wayland.

thanks

• Like 1

It's just unbelievable this is still not implemented after a decade.

Wayland is now the default on Ubuntu 22.x

Please add support for Wayland, you can't force user to use xorg to have synergy working.

Also, since the synergy people say it's not priority because people report on github rather than their support system, then let's request this to their support system to make things move.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Alexboss said:

Also, since the synergy people say it's not priority because people report on github rather than their support system, then let's request this to their support system to make things move.

Tried to reach the support, and it doesn't work (many JS errors after submitting the issue). Post it here, just in case.

Dear Synergy,
Where can I download a version compatible with Wayland on Ubuntu 22.0.4?
Xorg is not the default window manager on Ubuntu anymore, it's now Wayland.
Thank you and best regards.

On 8/29/2022 at 1:23 PM, Bill Burdick said:

Hey, just wanted to let you guys know that I really like Synergy (I'm an early adopter) but I haven't been able to use it for quite a while because of Wayland (at least since Feb 2021) so I haven't been able to use my 2nd laptop's screen while I work.

I'm happy to wait and I'm confident that you guys will get it done at some point.

On 9/2/2022 at 8:37 PM, BjoernS said:

I was not aware of the problem before updating to LTS 22. Now I'm sitting here with 2 sets of keyboard and mouse

There is an open source product called "Barrier" that works just as well as synergy, and supports Wayland.  I've switched to that.   It's in Ubuntu's package manager as well.

Edited by Asymptotic
44 minutes ago, Asymptotic said:

There is an open source product called "Barrier" that works just as well as synergy, and supports Wayland.  I've switched to that.   It's in Ubuntu's package manager as well.

I am afraid you may be mistaken, the issue regarding wayland is still open in barrier: https://github.com/debauchee/barrier/issues/109 including its most active fork input-leap: https://github.com/input-leap/input-leap/issues/109 (they cloned the issues, too, while forking). There is, however, https://github.com/r-c-f/waynergy which can do a client under wayland (but comes with caveats, too).

• Sad 1
  • 5 weeks later...

I'm just about to completely drop Synergy and go MacOS and iOS across my desk at home and work - using Universal Control...  I've given up waiting...  This started off 8 years ago when it was announced that Wayland was "on the radar"...  I'll keep my Linux box, but purely as a VM host and gaming server via Steam Link...  When I need it - I'll break out a Lenovo ThinkPad USB keyboard to drive the Linux machine...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, hoping this becomes a priority for Symless. This has been an issue for me for a couple years now, having to keep switching context to use my laptop without sharing the screen as I do with my 3 other PCs connected to Synergy.
An update from the dev(s) would be welcome, even if just to say this is not coming so we can spend our time/efforts elsewhere. Thanks.

Edited by b10
  • Thanks 1

I really need this feature now too. I've been staying away from Wayland for years but I was forced to switch due to graphical issues. Now on Wayland with Sway and can't use my work setup that I have. Resorting to old school kvm switch which is less than ideal. 

• Like 1
Nicolas Pascual

I just upgrade my linux ubuntu server to latest version to found synergy is no longer compatible. 

At least the tool displayed a warning avoiding me a lot of research and troubleshooting. 

Then I came here to found a wait list of more than 5 years. 

After being an user and supporter from the beginning and after discover the nulls replies from company or devs, I'm starting to think in moving to another tool/method. Sad. 

Would really be appreciated if Wayland is supported. I use Mac on the server and a Fedora and RH machines as clients, only and both clients use Wayland. Currently my paid synergy account is useless without this support (enabling xorg is not an option for my client system). Unfortunately did not check support for Wayland since it's been mentioned to be on the support plan since 2014. Works well with the Windows machine I sometimes have to administrate. These are very limited images and layering xorg into them are not ideal just to get a shared mouse+keyboard

Bill Burdick

Wayland <-> X seems to work

Now I'm using a Steam Deck (Wayland) for my server and I switched to regular X on my work machine (seems like most Wayland-based distros have an option at login to switch to X).

Synergy is working "Symlessly" for me with this setup and it's all I need at this point, so I'm a happy customer right now!!!

Bill Burdick
6 minutes ago, Bill Burdick said:

Wayland <-> X seems to work

Now I'm using a Steam Deck (Wayland) for my server and I switched to regular X on my work machine (seems like most Wayland-based distros have an option at login to switch to X).

Synergy is working "Symlessly" for me with this setup and it's all I need at this point, so I'm a happy customer right now!!!

My mistake -- I think the Steam Deck does not use Wayland in desktop mode, only in game mode so this is probably just X <-> X.

Maybe someone else can confirm whether Wayland <-> X works.