Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

wayland support

Does anyone know the latest on this? I've just upgraded to Ubuntu 21.10 which finally has nvidia Wayland support and Synergy not supporting Wayland has ruined my day!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TrentC

• ccoenen

• Rubin Starset

• UnixOutlaw

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

not sure when wayland support is planned, but linux is moving pretty fast in that direction. Doesn't effect me at the moment, but I'm sure my next upgrade will see wayland on my computer either alone

A message to the developers: I saw in your issues page where the lack complaints from licensed users (as opposed to Github users) makes this look like a low priority issue to you. As a licensed user,

I look at comments like, "if you want Synergy, you need to switch to Xorg" to being equivalent to, "you must run the program in Windows XP compatibility mode". The new product has been out for ne

Posted Images

carrierpigeon

Yeah I've had synergy 1 and 2 licences for ages. I just use barrier now as synergy has no benefit over barrier. Even then, I've generally stopped using it all together as I've moved over to arch and wayland on my laptop and desktop. If either got Wayland working it would be game changer. Even better if it's the one I actually paid money for....

• Like 1

Sad reality is that I thought about how to solve the problem myself. The approach I'd take is different enough from other competing products to ensure that it worked consistently regardless of the GUI system in use. They could write something in the future with absolutely no support for the feature needed by synergy and yet this approach would still work. I think I'll work on making a product of the idea if this company still doesn't show any real effort in solving it for themselves.

I have had synergy since 2018, and have wanted wayland support for about as long. I stopped using Synergy shortly after buying it, mostly due to the lack of Wayland support, and warned a few colleagues about this issue when they were looking into options.

I have subscribed to this issue on github (https://github.com/symless/synergy-core/issues/4090) (but I am for some reason unable to vote on it), as I thought that github was the right place to voice opinions, vote and subscribe to issues, for paying and potential users alike.

We plan to implement Wayland. Right now, it's mostly GitHub users asking for Wayland. Most of our users are not on GitHub and aren't asking for Wayland yet. Thanks for your patience.

So GitHub is now a rowdy crowd not worth of acknowledging ? I was under the impression that there's where development usually happens.

Anyway. Asked in the past over twitter. Asked on GitHub. Asking here if this is how it needs to be. Wayland support should be a priority. I don't want to switch between sessions depending on whether I want an accelerated browser or a docked laptop experience next to my desktop. Licensed user since 2015.

Call it a major release and ask for upgrade money for all I care just don't hide behind "nobody needs it".

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
NorthWestUser

Hello dear Synergy developer, 

Just wanted to also request the support of Wayland... Licensed user since 2017, and have been using Synergy across all my machines.

On 1/12/2022 at 10:10 AM, NorthWestUser said:

Hello dear Synergy developer, 

Just wanted to also request the support of Wayland... Licensed user since 2017, and have been using Synergy across all my machines.

On GitHub they announced in the next major version, Wayland support will be added. However, they started working on version 3 back in 2018. It's now in Alpha. I guess it should be in beta by 2026, and release candidate by 2030, and 3.0 by 2035.

I'm not entirely sure why I need to post this, when it's clear that many major distributions have *already* switched to wayland as a default. But here we are: Synergy in its current form can no longer perform its basic function on wayland-based linux computers. This is one of the things I would expect of it. I switched to barrier a few years ago (which also does not work, currently) because I was not happy with the progress of synergy at the time. I would happily switch back to synergy.

In case this matters at all, I'm a "Premium User" from ~2013 (and my use of synergy predates symless, my first notes of it date back to 2009, I believe that was "Google Code" territory where we voted on bugs with 10$ donations), I also "bought" Synergy 2. I do have to admit that I do not feel particularly premium right now.

I realize that it was not you who broke Linux support, that the world around you just moved on and Synergy didn't move with it. But if this were TeamViewer saying "naaaaah, we'll just sit here and not support new machines" you would see them go out of business pretty quickly.

• Thanks 1

I do recall the complaints of not getting donations for the work, so it went closed source and started selling it. Seem it was making better progress before they closed the source.

• Like 1

Just went to put Synergy on my Raspberry Pi 4 running the latest version of ARM64 Ubuntu and can't because of a lack of wayland support, supper bummed.

Just now, Ninbura said:

Just went to put Synergy on my Raspberry Pi 4 running the latest version of ARM64 Ubuntu and can't because of a lack of wayland support, supper bummed.

Version 1.x or version 3?

Just now, Ninbura said:

I'm on 1.x, is there a beta for 3 that has wayland support or something?

If you had read the comments, it is already stated support for Wayland will be in the next Major version. Which means it's not going to be in version 1.  They also keep mentioning you need to sign up for testing on it

Just now, TrentC said:

If you had read the comments, it is already stated support for Wayland will be in the next Major version. Which means it's not going to be in version 1.  They also keep mentioning you need to sign up for testing on it

I was just trying to add my voice to the crowd with my specific use case.

On GitHub and other places, it sounded like they were gauging the community as to how much they need to prioritize adding support. I wasn't asking why it wasn't supported in v1, or if they were going to add support to v1.

3 minutes ago, Ninbura said:

I was just trying to add my voice to the crowd with my specific use case.

On GitHub and other places, it sounded like they were gauging the community as to how much they need to prioritize adding support. I wasn't asking why it wasn't supported in v1, or if they were going to add support to v1.

He mentioned it on GitHub

https://github.com/symless/synergy-core/issues/4090#issuecomment-532202244

However, that was two years ago. This seems to be progressing as fast as that Open Source Windows compatible alternative which was started back in ~2001. Can't recall the name, but when I last looked at it, was still in beta

Edited by TrentC
4 minutes ago, TrentC said:

Yeah, that's where I came from, but it still sounded like they were trying to gauge how much they should prioritize that segment of the update. 

Just signed up for the beta, will check it out. 

Edited by Ninbura