Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Mouse Cursor appearing at the middle of the screen?

Hey all, 

Maybe I found a solution, but maybe not the exact same problem though...

I bought Synergy basic this past month, and I was super happy, it was working flawlessly with 2 computers, 3 monitors. I was all joy, even bought a pro one to my daughter (last year of high-school, super multitasking with a laptop and macmini to complete this pandemia-school-year)

But suddenly I started to have this problem:  the mouse "ghost" appearing in the MacOS BigSur server (iMac), and I had what appeared to be a big delay in movement (needed to push the mouse across half mouse pad in the direction of the "jump" from server to client and vice versa (Pop_OS-Ubuntu 21.04 laptop (old 2012 macbook pro) to an iMac with BigSur). Really annoying...

Searching the mighty sea of Google answers, between synergy, barrier and share-mouse forums, I found a collection of answers that solved the problem to me. My Synergy version is 1.14.0-stable-67d824b8

First, I had the dock of MacOS moved to the left side, and to jump computers the mouse crossed the dock, and the ghost pointer appeared. The dock broke the "hide mouse thing". --> solution: moved the dock to bottom and now the mouse keeps hidden when changing computers.

Second, one thing that preceded the "break" in the system was, I took the laptop with me on an errand, so disconnecting from the middle monitor (my setup uses a HDMI switch to jump the middle monitor from laptop to iMac, but usually the middle monitor stays with the iMac - the server). So after I reconnected physically the monitor, the "lag" on the mouse travel (half mousepad) to appear in the other computer screen was consistent with what would be the needed mouse movement to go half screen of the iMac (server), from the ghost mouse in the center of the screen to the edge. --> solution: I just needed to manually disconnect (stop) the synergy client, circle the HDMI switch states, and restart (connect) the client to the server. 

Voila!!!

I hope this can help anyone. The ghost pointer in MacOS and the extra mouse travel where terrible.

best regards

joko

setup.jpeg

• 2 months later...
MachineShedFred

Joko wins.  Crossing the Dock on my Mac was exactly the issue.  No more "mouse siezures" in the middle of the screen on my Mac when I transition to Windows.

Note to developers: don't know if there's anything you can do to make the mouse cursor hide again when the Dock loses focus, but not having the mouse pass over the dock took care of this for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I hate necroing a thread, but if this helps anyone out when googling for this problem, it's a win. I was having this problem and believe I've resolved it with the 1.14.2-stable-c6918b74 version of Synergy.

Windows 10 Pro 21H2 as the server
MacOS 11.6.1 Big Sur as the client

I recently did a full reinstall of my Windows machine and installed the latest version of Synergy. My MacOS client was still running the 1.11 version and this issue presented itself (it had not been seen until yesterday). I upgraded the version on the MacOS client to the latest available (1.14.2-stable) and the issue has not presented itself in over an hour (it used to take under 10min for this to happen). 

TL;DR - make sure your server and client are running the same version

• 3 months later...

Potential fix:

This problem start happening on me build 1.14.3 today and for the life of me couldn't figure it out.

On my server I also had the PC connected to my TV and Windows flipped it to extend my display to this rather than mirror.  So naturally synergy has to go from the monitor, across the TV, then to the client PC but I think synergy gets a little confused with this so the mouse would only show up on the client PC at the halfway point.

Once I flipped the display settings in windows to mirror my display synergy works as expected.

• 5 months later...
On 8/12/2021 at 1:27 PM, ginz said:

I'm experiencing the same issue as well. mouse cursor appears at the middle of the screen on both windows computers and on linux as well.

I wish I knew this before I purchased.

Are the synergy team addressing this or is this a lost cause?

Still an issue for me.

• 5 months later...

FTR using 3 beta and it's still happening.   going from Mac to windows is fine, coming back to Mac 75% of the time it ends up in the middle of the screen :(

• 1 month later...
Alexfornuto

Just adding to the group. Still happening, both versions are the same. I noticed that if I very slowly move the cursor back to the macOS server, it appears where it should be. But if there's any acceleration, it goes to the middle.

• 3 weeks later...

Still having the issue on Version 3 Beta. I am using an M1 Macbook Pro 14 as the keyboard and mouse and a Windows 11 HP DragonFly Max as the client. Switching back to my Macbook causes an hourglass cursor to get stuck on the Windows machine occasionally. I've found restarting the service on my Mac quickly resolves the issue. 

Annoying, but at least there is a quick resolution in my case...

synuser01

Adding to the chorus.

This has always happened to me on various configurations.

Intel Mac  <-> Win10

Intel Mac <-> Win11

M1 Mac <-> Win10

M2 mac <-> Win10

M2 Mac <-> Win11

Going from Mac -> Win is usually fine, but coming back always results with cursor back in the center of the screen.

If I move _very slowly_ it works correctly.

Always on the latest 1.x version.

Edited by synuser01
AnthonyRLane

After not really using Synergy for years I decided to try beta 3 (which its hard to complain about a beta, but not everyone else here is using beta so im not sure its worth my time setting up a stable version either), and everything was setup very very quickly which was nice. I move from my M1 mac to my Intel mac perfectly, but back to M1 mac and the mouse starts in the middle of the screen. SMH :-(

klepp0906
11 minutes ago, AnthonyRLane said:

After not really using Synergy for years I decided to try beta 3 (which its hard to complain about a beta, but not everyone else here is using beta so im not sure its worth my time setting up a stable version either), and everything was setup very very quickly which was nice. I move from my M1 mac to my Intel mac perfectly, but back to M1 mac and the mouse starts in the middle of the screen. SMH :-(

yea the beta is nice.  as far as the issue goes, i was working with the tech support for a few days on it but work cqame up out of nowwhere and im scrambling to post this RQ, cant dig into it any further with them at this point in time.  got to the point they were testing (asking me to) if scaling  had any effect on it or monitor positioning on setups.   (no idea why they woiuldnt have these types of things in house to test but i digress)

anyhow if you have free time contact support.  theyre super receptive and its evident they are trying to figure it out. 

ShareMouse has similar issues, although they don't land the cursor in the middle of the screen. They've implemented a "panic key shortcut" ESC x 3 that resets everything quickly. I know it isn't a fix, but wondering if something similar could be added here to at least treat the symptoms. 

klepp0906

may have somethign to do with the way windows scales vs the way mac scales, theyre entirely different.   something i know as an end user so i'd like to think theyre aware of as devs.  perhaps not though.

what i do know is that ive seen it happen 0 times with mousewithoutborders and with multiplicity but those are both windows to windows.  

• 3 weeks later...

Still happening for me on beta-3. Slightly different effect though. I have an Intel Mac Pro as my server and an M1 iMac as client. I generally run PCB design CAD software (DipTrace) on the Mac Pro. When I am using the M1, whatever object is nearest the centre of the screen on the Mac Pro gets focus. Transition between screens is seamless, but seeing objects highlighted on the other screen is distracting! (Photo shows the effect, there is no cursor visible on this screen)

IMG_1349.jpeg

• 2 months later...
No one of consequence

I found this always happens with Mac server and Windows client with my logitech mouse. If I switch to a trackpad it no longer happens.