Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Problem connecting to the auto-config service

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wunderdojo

• GranPaSmurf

• JCY

• Brian Davis

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Enterpise Architect - I cannot use or r4ecommend a product like this if it is dependent on the availbility of "Cloud Services". Clouds are not 100% reliable - anybody who thinks so is fooling the

I would be ashamed as a software engineer to call this "stable" I had this issue on two of my windows 10 computers and managed to get it to work. tested it and got it working by only doing a few

I gave up for the past 6 weeks after having lots of issues with the betas. Glad to see 2.0 "stable" is out and nothing is fixed.  "There was a problem connecting to the auto-config service"

Posted Images

Just starting working for me again... Though when looking at the config screen it will flash the auto-config error for a split second every few minutes or so. Hopefully they'll get it sorted out, I was just about to upgrade to the Pro version too. 

Gavin Barnard

The current webserver appears to be an unconfigured nginx server:

https://pubsub1.cloud.symless.com/

[ Service ] [2017-12-27T16:24:28] debug: connecting websocket: pubsub1.cloud.symless.com:443
[ Service ] [2017-12-27T16:24:28] error: websocket read error 335544539: short read
[ Service ] [2017-12-27T16:24:28] debug: clearing last profile snapshot
[ Service ] [2017-12-27T16:24:28] debug: retrying websocket connection in 29s
[ Service ] [2017-12-27T16:24:28] debug: closing existing websocket connection
[ Config  ] [2017-12-27T16:24:28] debug: service cloud connection error
[ Service ] [2017-12-27T16:24:28] debug: cloud client connected
[ Service ] [2017-12-27T16:24:28] debug: websocket connected
[ Config  ] [2017-12-27T16:24:28] debug: service cloud connection recovered
[ Router  ] [2017-12-27T16:24:37] debug: ClientProxy: Received client connection for gavin-pc-win8 from screen 1237

It still sees connections coming in from a PC that hasn't rebooted yet but is rejecting them which is funny.

Brian Davis

I am continually getting 503's for the cloud service...

[ Service ] [2017-12-27T16:41:12] debug: connecting websocket: pubsub1.cloud.symless.com:443
[ Service ] [2017-12-27T16:41:13] error: websocket handshake error 3: WebSocket upgrade handshake failed
[ Service ] [2017-12-27T16:41:13] error: websocket handshake response 503: Service Unavailable

If I were you guys, I would forget about trying to get a decent response.  The way of the world now is pay please and don't be mad if it don't work.  It's not our fault it's yours...  So we users are just a bother now.  Too bad someone else doesn't come up with a program like this.  Does anybody else know of any?

10 hours ago, Tor Egon Mikkelsen said:

Bouth comps are green  but cant move mouse to the surface comp  

Screenshot from 2017-12-27 12-07-55.png

I had this happen in the beta, but for the most part it was one green, one grey, and one not showing at all - useless.

This whole cloud business really lowered my trust in the application considerably, especially as the whole purpose of the software is to send/receive keystrokes and clipboard data. The incompetence behind the server and certificate configuration is really starting to ring those alarm bells. I think I'll be sticking with 1.8 indefinitely, even if they do manage to fix this, and instead, looking for a reliable and safe alternative.

Brian Davis
2 minutes ago, DirkV said:

I was just looking at it, what features does synergy have that this one doesn't?

It has a trial. I don't believe it supports *nix, but Windows and Mac only.

Edited by Brian Davis
2 minutes ago, Brian Davis said:

It has a trial. I don't believe it supports linux, but Windows and Mac only.

Some moderators here are pretty rude and there seems to be nothing one can do to try and get a decency.  Everybody should change to something else, unless there is no support for linux anywhere else, that would suck.  i am all windows 10.

Brian Davis
1 minute ago, DirkV said:

Some moderators here are pretty rude and there seems to be nothing one can do to try and get a decency.  Everybody should change to something else, unless there is no support for linux anywhere else, that would suck.  i am all windows 10.

You have plenty of options since you're only on Windows. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/garage/profiles/mouse-without-borders/

https://www.inputdirector.com/

https://www.stardock.com/products/multiplicity/

Angelos Ching

Not only did I waste the money but also an hour and more try to upgrade, troubleshoot and roll back. You call the package stable but it is not usable at all. (Same WebSocket error 400 as above)

• Like 1
DeliciousPickle

Ditto to all of the complaints here.  Symless should be ashamed of themselves for releasing such a buggy product.  It seems they didn't test it much at all but just threw it over the wall. Now they are in the process of destroying the tremendous goodwill they had.  And this whole idea of having to connect to a cloud server to use the product is rubbish.  Who at Symless had that brilliant idea?  "Let's make them connect to our cloud server so our users' software will be 10x less reliable, so we can collect data about them."  This 2.0 release is kind of like intentionally pointing the nose of your airplane straight down and making a smoking hole in the desert.

Symless todos:

1. Withdraw 2.0 from distribution.
2. Refund everyone's money.
3. Beg your customers to forgive you.
4. Take some time and create a reliable, thoroughly tested version 3.0 that doesn't need to connect to the cloud to work.
5. Make damn sure it works before you release it.
6. Apologize once again to your customers and give them 3.0 as a free upgrade.

• Like 1

Hey Guys,

i am running into the same problem. 3 computer (1 x Win7, 1 x iMac 10.12.6 and 1 x Linux Mint 18.3).

I bought V2 in the beta phase and tested a lot - not working. Now i had a little time to go again from 1.8.8 to - Yeah: 2.0.4 stable - hahaha!

On Win7 i had no problems when installing, but the message: Ther was a problem..... Retry --> don´t work.

On my Mac i was able to install the sw after a lot of tries - not as user - only as admin i was able to install the sw with the crazy "helper program".

Now the same message as on my Win7.

And now, Linux Mint says: Next step: install Synergy 2 on another computer.

I work in the IT, but if my company will release a software like this i would be unemployed asap while the company is dead.

Please Nick, talk with your developers, a software which needs a connection to a cloud service while running in a private network is not acceptable.

Create a small configfile where the hosts/IPs are stored or maybe the network where the hosts reside - easier and stable!

Thanks

BTW: Went back to 1.8.8 and wait for 2.1 - If then the problem occurs again i will discuss about refund. I do not want to pay for a non working SW.

Mike Van Pelt
On 12/27/2017 at 2:05 PM, Brian Davis said:

It has a trial. I don't believe it supports *nix, but Windows and Mac only.

(voice=JohnCleese) Then it's hardly an adequate substitute, then, is it? (/voice)

At least, for those of us on Linux. 

I've gotten so much value out of Synergy over the years that I'm willing to cut them some slack on the new version's ... issues.  But I'm ***REALLY*** anxious to get ahold of the new version that disentangles it from any server dependencies.   "Can't contact server; will not function at all without server" is not acceptable.  I may be forced to downgrade to 1.8 until 2.1 comes out; offline again this morning.

It's so very nice when it's working, though.

Brian Davis
37 minutes ago, Mike Van Pelt said:

(voice=JohnCleese) Then it's hardly an adequate substitute, then, is it? (/voice)

At least, for those of us on Linux. 

I've gotten so much value out of Synergy over the years that I'm willing to cut them some slack on the new version's ... issues.  But I'm ***REALLY*** anxious to get ahold of the new version that disentangles it from any server dependencies.   "Can't contact server; will not function at all without server" is not acceptable.  I may be forced to downgrade to 1.8 until 2.1 comes out; offline again this morning.

Just because it doesn't work for you specifically, doesn't mean its not an option for others. The world doesn't revolve around you ;) 

DeliciousPickle
1 hour ago, Mike Van Pelt said:

I've gotten so much value out of Synergy over the years that I'm willing to cut them some slack on the new version's ... issues.

Agreed. The fact that Synergy was so uniquely great at what it did is what makes the pain so bad.  If it was a crappy product in the first place we wouldn't be complaining so much.

BTW, I reverted to 1.8 and it works just fine in all scenarios, including VPN.

Almost 100 posts in this thread alone, all complaining about the same things and still no response?  Have I missed something?  An email perhaps or a link to a post to explain what's going on?  

wunderdojo

I'd think it would be clear to everyone that Symless does not read or respond to anything in these forums. If you want to get their attention try hitting them on Twitter -- @symless. Logic says that you don't end up here until after you've purchased and had problems. Twitter, on the other hand, is visible to the wider world. Complaining there might spur a response. Just my two cents.

Woahhh nobody said anything about cloud service...

I signed up for the beta and paid the 10 bucks or whatever awhile back.  2.0.0 beta worked fine using the old command line synergyc/synergys.  I thought I saw an email about a stable release awhile ago so I figured I'd give it a shot. 

Suddenly this auto config service fails immediately on my 2 linux machines and my macbook with the same error and my firewall starts freaking out?  I'm thinking "since when the hell does Synergy need to get out onto the internet?  I'm sharing machines on my local network!  Is this a keylogger?"

So anyhow, I'm back on the 2.0.0 beta.  It seems like maybe Symless couldn't get it working so they tried going with some crappy web based thing?  Anyhow, I'm fairly disappointed because I've been a long time synergy user for at least maybe a decade if it's been around that long?  Symless have been one of my favourite software companies of all time (aside from Sierra On-Line).  This is kind of a bummer.  I get if it's maybe for some big multi network enterprise setup, but is there even a local network option?

Please Symless, if you're planning on going to the cloud for larger customers, please consider the loyal tinfoil hat wearing folks who don't want everything going out to the internet and plugging up their fw logs.  Or at least keep supporting 1.8 forever.  Even if you need the money, I'd pay for a "legacy" edition if that were needed to keep it going. 

2 hours ago, Matticus said:

Almost 100 posts in this thread alone, all complaining about the same things and still no response?  Have I missed something?  An email perhaps or a link to a post to explain what's going on?  

Many threads have been started and filled with complaints since the early betas. It's ramped up now that it's "Stable". We have had some responses from  moderators, earlier in the thread, but that's it so far. No real info.

Angelos Ching
12 hours ago, Brian Davis said:

Just because it doesn't work for you specifically, doesn't mean its not an option for others. The world doesn't revolve around you ;) 

The world does not revolve around Symless and their servers.
There are many computers in this world running in isolated networks as well.
They could have used Avahi/Bonjour for automatic service discovery and configuration.
But they ended up with a fragile "cloud"(?) based architecture. 

• Thanks 1
GranPaSmurf

Bonjour was a part of Synergy 1.xx for years. I never looked into it. If I ever needed it, I didn't understand enough about it to know.

• Like 1
  • Nick Bolton locked this topic
  • Nick Bolton unlocked this topic