Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Problem connecting to the auto-config service

Tried again today to upgrade and use Synergy 2, and was disappointed again. I'm getting this message on two different machines (Win 10 and Ubuntu 16.04.3). Sadly, the instructions posted by Kilectos did not work for my Windows machine.

So this makes Beta 1, Beta 2, Beta 4, Official release, and now 2.0.4 that are not working. Removed/reinstalled 1.8.8, working like a charm. I'm in the same boat as the others who are frustrated by the complete lack of documentation or instructions. I'm giving up on 2. I don't have any plans to even look at it until a manual configuration ability is put in.

• Like 1
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wunderdojo

• GranPaSmurf

• JCY

• Brian Davis

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Enterpise Architect - I cannot use or r4ecommend a product like this if it is dependent on the availbility of "Cloud Services". Clouds are not 100% reliable - anybody who thinks so is fooling the

I would be ashamed as a software engineer to call this "stable" I had this issue on two of my windows 10 computers and managed to get it to work. tested it and got it working by only doing a few

I gave up for the past 6 weeks after having lots of issues with the betas. Glad to see 2.0 "stable" is out and nothing is fixed.  "There was a problem connecting to the auto-config service"

Posted Images

Totally agree with above, the thought of configure-less setup it great if it works, which this doesn't. Give me an option to fix it myself rather than waiting for an update that appears to not be coming.

i have tried every version that has been released with all the work arounds in this forum post and it has never connected to the background service.

back to 1.8 it is.

Edited by Mt8
making clearer
Tor Egon Mikkelsen

My installation is now working as a charm

Ubuntu 17.10   on IBM laptop  (Sharing from this )

Windows 10 on Surface 4 pro

Followed remove inst.

Re installed   opened both PC
Running 2.04 stable

Saw that i could arrange pc icons and it moved on Surface
Gave in 2 min after sharing  working :D

So let it have a few min  and it is established   No problem after that

But IF you move mouse  or use keybord on "slave"  Pc you might want to click share from main PC again

Im happy :D    Keep trying

• Thanks 1

I'm using Synergy 2.04 on a Windows 10 machine and on a macOS 10.13.

The Windows 10 machine seems to be running Synergy without any visible issue, but the macOS computer always displays the already mentioned error message "There was a problem connecting to the auto-config service.". I already did a clean reinstall as suggested in this thread. Very frustrating to read 6 pages without any helpful comment from the developers or creators of Synergy.

I created a support ticket, providing my log file hoping to get a useful hint there and not just "will be fixed in the future"...

I already tried beta4 a few weeks ago and was totally annoyed. Now, seeing that the "stable" version is still nothing more than a not-working alpha pre-release is really frustrating and for me as a software developer - to be honest - I would never put something like this out into the wild, not even as a beta. Instead of focusing to create a good software, all what counts is to have cloud connectivity which nobody needs! It seems, that this idea just s*cks and people go back to the old release, because it does simply work.

Telling the people to manually delete keys from the registry and file system in order to perform a "clean" uninstall is just ridiculous. Since more than probably 10 years, these are some simple tasks for installer routines, just saying...

This is a real shame in my opinion. Sorry for being so rude, but this is just my honest words for what happens here...

I agree that you do not need any cloud. But the really critical bugs are not being fixed.Wasted money donation and a paid-for product 2.0 is not rewritten from scratch, but just to an older version fixed the cloud. I read in other topics that bugs version 1.8 left. 2.0 unfortunately are unable to test, not working - requires cloud.

Benjamin Brown

So in reading this forum I noticed I was having similar problems. However my issue was I couldn't even signin to Symless. It wouldn't give me the option. However on a whim I ran Synergy as an administrator and everything started right up. 
I'm using Synergy 2.0.4-stable on Windows 10 1709 on an Enterprise network. My domain account does not have admin privileges so I was unaware that would be an issue with this program since with 1.8.8 I didn't need admin rights to run it.

Hope this helps someone in the future!

• Thanks 1

Tried 2.0.0 beta4 some time ago and it didn't work for me (but I don't remember what the issue was). Downloaded 2.0.4 stable yesterday and getting the cannot connect to auto-config error on 2 machines, didn't even try on the third. So I guess like many others I will be unable to use the program I paid for until the stupid cloud thing stops being mandatory at some unknown time. Btw. the existence of one of the machines I planned to use synergy on is based on the fact that it is a PC which is NOT connected to the internet at all for security reasons.

On 1/10/2018 at 2:29 PM, Tor Egon Mikkelsen said:

But IF you move mouse  or use keybord on "slave"  Pc you might want to click share from main PC again

Er....what ? The 4 PCs I have of course all have their own keyboard and mouse, and of course I can be on any of them. So whenever I go to another PC and use it, Synergy "breaks" and I need to go to my main PC and click that mouse to "restart" it ?! I mean...if it ever starts working at all for me.

On 1/8/2018 at 2:00 AM, Stephen_m64 said:

I would be ashamed as a software engineer to call this "stable"

I had this issue on two of my windows 10 computers and managed to get it to work. tested it and got it working by only doing a few things

1.  Close the Synergy window

2. Stop the background Synergy service (do this from services.msc)

3. In regedit go to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software and delete the \Symless\Synergy key and all subkeys.

4. restart the synergy background service.

5. open the client, it will have a button to click to log into synergy, it will give you an error that it cannot connect. wait a moment and click again. second time its clicked it will likely open a browser window to log into synergy. after you log in the client will likely start to work..

this may be a login issue with the craptacular cloud service. i noticed after the successful login and the client working correctly a file called "synergy-user.cfg" appeared in the %programdata%\Symless\Synergy directory.

Someone else feel free to try this and see if it works for you as well.

Just came by to say thanks, this got it working on both of my terminals. Maybe automating this would be a good idea on the actual software?

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

We're currently fixing the auto-config and background service connection errors in 2.0.5 which will be released next week. Although the message looks similar, they are actually totally different bugs.

• Nick Bolton locked this topic
  • Nick Bolton unlocked this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
Nothing To See Here

I have tried 5 times over the last few months to get SynergyPro2 to work with my systems.

Not once has it worked and I have been forced to downgrade to synergy1. 

This is listed as a "Stable build" It might not crash, but it doesn't work. 

I appreciate its a cheap bit of software, and a cheap upgrade, but if it doesn't work what's the point. 

Also I have never known an upgrade/update to be missing almost all features from a previous version that was so important to the operation. 

People who use this software I would guess are generally not average users, so I don't know why you feel the need to dumb it down and make it more user friendly at the cost of features and options. 

Mucho Disapointio. 

Here is a pic of what we have to look at.

cOUBLch.gif

Enjoy

Edited by rj3d
GranPaSmurf
1 hour ago, rj3d said:

People who use this software I would guess are generally not average users, so I don't know why you feel the need to dumb it down and make it more user friendly at the cost of features and options. 

Mucho Disapointio. 

Here is a pic of what we have to look at.

cOUBLch.gif

Enjoy

rj3d, Yeah, the idea was a way to expand the user base to some folks that would never want to get 'under the hood.' Even the developers agree they released it as stable too soon. Down the road, a few months, the version 2.1 will release and be much more to your liking, with configuration settings and the like. As of now, version 2.x.x is not what you expected.

That said, version 2.07 is now available to download. It's got a couple of steps in your direction, like a tray icon...ability to temporarily disable and several under the hood improvements.so if you're ready to continue the fun :) you might want to test it out too.

Nothing To See Here
1 minute ago, GranPaSmurf said:

rj3d, Yeah, the idea was a way to expand the user base to some folks that would never want to get 'under the hood.' Even the developers agree they released it as stable too soon. Down the road, a few months, the version 2.1 will release and be much more to your liking, with configuration settings and the like. As of now, version 2.x.x is not what you expected.

That said, version 2.07 is now available to download. It's got a couple of steps in your direction, like a tray icon...ability to temporarily disable and several under the hood improvements.so if you're ready to continue the fun :) you might want to test it out too.

As much as I would like to once again uninstall 1 and install another version of 2, I will be waiting another few months to try it. 

The featureset should not be crushed to rush out a new version of the program. It's absolutely ridiculous. 

I appreciate its not an easy job, and tbh version 1 is still the best solution to this problem on the market, but as an early adopter of 2, I am disappointed. I will look fwd to a version of 2 that has the same feature set as 1 with added or fixed features, as per the idea of semantic versioning numbers.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, rj3d said:

The featureset should not be crushed to rush out a new version of the program. It's absolutely ridiculous. 

I agree completely and if they had the foresight to put in a manual way to connect our computers instead of requiring their cloud system we would all probably have it working right now.

Some of us have complicated corporate networks with multiple WAN's in a load balanced group which causes our outward IP Addresses to change even when performing the simple authentication click with the site. It's maddening that I can't just specify my computers by LAN IP and get it working like Synergy 1.

I mean if you want it to be more secure you could just have the computers show a 6 digit randomly generated number code that we must enter into each client or something, at-least give us local setup ability without needing to connect to any outside systems.

My saga with the software continues, still cannot get v2 working I'm sticking with v1 still, this is what 5 months now since launch? Get it together guys please.

Edited by JCY
  • Like 1