Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Problem connecting to the auto-config service

wunderdojo

I've been going through support and getting nowhere with this. I've clean installed version 2.0.1-stable on a handful of OS's -- various flavors of Linux + Win7 -- and it's unstable as all get out. Constant "There was a problem connecting to the auto-config service" messages. There seem to be no instructions for the updated interface (wtf are the config options? How do I get it to stop showing screens that aren't active anymore? etc.).

I've been using Synergy for 5+ years and love it. It's become an integral part of my set up and having it down for the past couple of months has been a royal pain in the something. So I'm dying to know if anyone is having success with it? My usual setup is Ubuntu 16.04 as the server, Ubuntu 17.10 as the client. Again, tried using a half dozen Linux distros as the client and Win7 but no better luck with any of them. Also tried using Xorg and Unity, didn't make a difference. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wunderdojo

• GranPaSmurf

• JCY

• Brian Davis

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Enterpise Architect - I cannot use or r4ecommend a product like this if it is dependent on the availbility of "Cloud Services". Clouds are not 100% reliable - anybody who thinks so is fooling the

I would be ashamed as a software engineer to call this "stable" I had this issue on two of my windows 10 computers and managed to get it to work. tested it and got it working by only doing a few

I gave up for the past 6 weeks after having lots of issues with the betas. Glad to see 2.0 "stable" is out and nothing is fixed.  "There was a problem connecting to the auto-config service"

Posted Images

wunderdojo

For what it's worth totally removing synergy and config files and reverting back to 1.8 seems (knock on wood) to be working for me. Only been a couple of minutes so far but that's more than I could get with v2. 

GranPaSmurf

Several of us had to go back to V 1 when we were testing beta 4. 

V2 is pretty stable until the cloud server starts to stutter. 

I use Win 10, Kubuntu 17.04, and Win 7(32) very successfully.

Don't think that since everyone who posts on this forum has had a problem, every installation has problems. No more than a doctor thinks every person he meets on the street has an illness. 

Skim the posts for troubleshooting ideas but realize that you are very  likely to join the many, many successful Synergy users. 

GranPaSmurf

Ho, Ho, Ho! 

I'm only trying to give perspective and urge patience. 

Obviously your expertise and experience are way beyond mine. 

And to say Synergy 2.xx works great on my Kubuntu. 

wunderdojo

@KringleKrebs I appreciate that -- and I'd never disrespect Santa :) For a lot of people who use Synergy it's in a set up where they're dependent on it working. For example, in my office I have a desktop with keyboard and mouse attached and multiple machines that don't have anything connected. Given that problems started back in Sept. and they're saying the solution will (hopefully) be available sometime in 2018 that's six or more months that I'm left hanging. 

All I'm suggesting is that when something goes wrong PR 101 is to jump out in front of it. They made significant changes to the program and it wasn't flawless. Happens. So just acknowledge it and be transparent about what you're doing to address it. I'm not taking the refund, don't want it. Heck, I'll contribute more right now if it helps get things solved faster. I was just expressing exasperation that they know that at least some number of customers can't use the product and they're not addressing it.

Edited by wunderdojo
  • Like 1
wunderdojo

In case this helps anyone else. Wiped my laptop and did a clean install of Ubuntu 17.10 which seemed to fix a number of quirks. Installed Synergy 1.8 on that. Removed Synergy and all config files from a desktop running Win7. Installed v1.8 on there. With laptop as server and desktop as client it's been running solid for the past 5-6 hours. Haven't had a chance to test with the desktop running Ubuntu 16.04 but will on Monday and will post a follow up on that too. Laptop is using Wayland, btw, not Ubuntu on Xorg. Doesn't seem to be an issue.

i have the same issue  between two win10(64) machines,  i try to reinstall and restart the backgroud service ,but it didn't work.

by the way.i am new to synergy, it's my second time to use it.

• Like 1
Jean Le Gaonac'h

I have the same issue between 2 windows 10 64 machines with ver 2.0.2

I tried uninstall/reinstall with no success, 

The strange thing is that I had no problems with earlier versions

Jean Le Gaonac'h

Ah, spoke too soon

I tried dragging the screens around in the window on the server side and it suddenly started working.

Apparently the two screens were in the wrong order compared to the physical layout (the icon of the machine on the left was on the right of the screen)

wunderdojo

More follow up on this. My laptop running Ubuntu 17.10 is used as the server at home, client at work. After rolling back to 1.8 on both the laptop and a Win7 desktop at home it's been working great there. Was still having issues with a Ubuntu 16.04 desktop as the server at work. Over the weekend I was debugging a separate issue with the laptop -- closing the lid would power off the machine. Lots of people have power management issues with Ubuntu and laptops and the supposed fixes are all over the place -- from editing grub to changing the video drivers. In my case I finally determined that it was caused by power management settings in the ASUS BIOS. Disabling those solved the issue... and seems to have solved the connection issues with Synergy as well. Haven't dug into logs or anything but my guess is that the power management system was causing the Synergy connection to drop (again, this is running 1.8). 

May well be that version 2 would work now if that was in fact the issue. Since I've got everything back to where it was before I'm not messing with it. But if you're having issues still this might be something to look into.

• Like 1

i can confirm this is happening to me as well. 

Specs:

Synergy 2.0.2 Basic

Windows 10 x64 (3 machines)

Uninstalled version 1.8. Installed 2.0.2. (stable)

Troubleshooting:

Found that I had to restart the service each time (on the server) to temporarily solve the issue.

Hope this gets resolved soon. I am a massive advocate for this product. Love the idea of making it more simple for users. I got the basic version by mistake yesterday. Wishing there was options (any at all) for the basic version.

Edited by Phearless
more information
GranPaSmurf
19 hours ago, wunderdojo said:

In my case I finally determined that it was caused by power management settings in the ASUS BIOS. Disabling those solved the issue... and seems to have solved the connection issues with Synergy as well. Haven't dug into logs or anything but my guess is that the power management system was causing the Synergy connection to drop (again, this is running 1.8). 

May well be that version 2 would work now if that was in fact the issue. Since I've got everything back to where it was before I'm not messing with it. But if you're having issues still this might be something to look into.

wunderdojo, really clever troubleshooting! My Kubuntu machine is a desktop but still, I'm going to investigate the bios power settings. Even though Synergy 2.02 is running like a champ on my 3 systems.

Not sure if this helps, but when I had problems getting the "Configuration Service" to run on Win7, it was due to missing the Universal CRT. It doesn't give you a very helpful error, but looking into manually starting the background service, I got the error "The program can't start because api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing".  Googling this error, I discovered that not all Win-7 32-bit or 64-bit systems have the new Microsoft Universal CRT required to support Win10.  You can manually install this update by searching Microsoft Support for "KB2999226" or "Visual C++ Redistributable for VS2017".  This will allow the service to start properly so you can configure your machines. 

• Thanks 1
GranPaSmurf
On 11/28/2017 at 3:22 PM, MrSparky said:

I discovered that not all Win-7 32-bit or 64-bit systems have the new Microsoft Universal CRT required to support Win10.  You can manually install this update by searching Microsoft Support for "KB2999226" or "Visual C++ Redistributable for VS2017".  This will allow the service to start properly so you can configure your machines. 

Excellent troubleshooting! Kudos!

• Nick Bolton locked this topic
  • Nick Bolton unlocked this topic