Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Compatibility with Windows XP

Hey Guys,

My friend asked me if I could test compatibility with Windows XP for him before he purchased Synergy as he needs XP for some old applications. I spun up a virtual machine in order to test and I found that while the 32-bit installer for Synergy 2 runs, it fails to start the services. Upon further investigation I found that the executables were "not a valid Win32 application." Does this mean that XP is unsupported? or is it a bug with the installer?.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

Windows XP isn't supported right now, but we're considering to add support in 2.1 or 2.2 (maybe). 

Do you need a refund?

8 hours ago, Nick Bolton said:

Windows XP isn't supported right now, but we're considering to add support in 2.1 or 2.2 (maybe). 

Do you need a refund?

Ah okay cool, if you add support again that would be awesome! Can I ask what Windows OS's the 32-bit & 64-bit releases do support?

Nah I don't need a refund, this was just a test for a friend, I still use Synergy for other purposes. Is it possible we can still get access to Synergy 1 Pro? I didn't purchase it but for those who own Synergy 2, it might be good to have access to Synergy 1 if we need it. As it has more features, I'm going to have to wait till Synergy v2.1/2.2 till the features I use become available (Relative mouse moves, screen switching/locking hotkeys, offline activation & the ability to set a specific server IP).

Edited by Verequies
Kelvin Tran
2 hours ago, Verequies said:

Can I ask what Windows OS's the 32-bit & 64-bit releases do support?

Presumably Vista/7 and up, since I know for sure 7 works and Vista is kind of similar, although I'm not sure. I'm going to edge on the side of Vista, but for sure Windows 7 if Vista is not supported yet.

@Nick Bolton, do you have a System Requirements page? If not, that'd be helpful. :P 

Is it possible we can still get access to Synergy 1 Pro? I didn't purchase it but for those who own Synergy 2, it might be good to have access to Synergy 1 if we need it.

Email [email protected] and they'd be more than happy to grant you a copy of Synergy 1, although as a person that's not a member of the Synergy team but has received confirmation that they will grant you Synergy 1, I cannot guarantee that it will be of the Pro variety.

As it has more features, I'm going to have to wait till Synergy v2.1/2.2 till the features I use become available (Relative mouse moves, screen switching/locking hotkeys, offline activation & the ability to set a specific server IP).

Awesome! The Synergy team is working day and night on it, and we hope you enjoy the fruits of their labor when it becomes available!

@Nick Bolton, do you have a System Requirements page? If not, that'd be helpful. :P 

That would actually be really helpful to have, I couldn't seem to find one and was one of the reasons that led me to posting.

Email [email protected] and they'd be more than happy to grant you a copy of Synergy 1, although as a person that's not a member of the Synergy team but has received confirmation that they will grant you Synergy 1, I cannot guarantee that it will be of the Pro variety.

Sweet! Thanks for the tip, I'll get right on that :)

• 3 months later...

I need to use XP and have been using synergy for more that a year. I bought the 2.0 upgrade, but as I can see it's not supported. Please consider adding XP support.

- Armand

• 2 weeks later...
ConnieZimmermann

Hi, I just purchased Synergy to use between a Windows XP system and a Windows 10.   I am getting the "Service failed to start" error, and I now see that XP support isn't available. (Yes, I should have checked first.) :P In this thread I see that it may be coming soon.  Will it really be available soon, or is there a workaround?  I really am hoping so!!!

Thanks!

I have a mixture of new and old operating system computers since I have to support some legacy stuff.  Adding XP support to synergy 2 would be a very welcome feature.

Thanks

ConnieZimmermann
2 hours ago, CJarva said:

I have a mixture of new and old operating system computers since I have to support some legacy stuff.  Adding XP support to synergy 2 would be a very welcome feature.

Thanks

I have temporarily returned to Mouse Without Borders, which does work, but is very unstable sometimes, which is why I was looking for something new.  I have posted a new topic about this same issue in the forum and am hoping for a positive reply.

• 1 month later...
Paul Pearce

I've just purchased Synergy 2 to be able to control a Windows XP 32-bit PC from Windows 7 or Windows 10.

I couldn't find any information regarding compatibility on the web site so took the chance.

I now see from this thread that it isn't compatible, but this might be included in version 2.1.

Are you still planning to include support for XP?  It would be great if you did, as I have a legacy application that has to run on XP.

Alternatively can I achieve this with Synergy 1 in the meantime?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Berrychone
On 11/12/2017 at 6:08 PM, Nick Bolton said:

Do you need a refund?

Please don't consider it, make it HAPPEN.  There are many users out there who don't want to follow the windows upgarade path. I am one of them. Please add support for all of us using Win XP 32bit, thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
DanBlake

Nick,

I know this isn't going to make the top 10 or even top 100 picks for new features or supported OSs but I could really use an update to the Haiku version.  I'm not a developer but the code for the Haiku version looks pretty simple.  Is it possible to add the changes to the 1.x code so it could just be built specifying /haiku or something like that?

I know, I know, I live in a dream world, but it's OK, everybody knows me here.

On 5/1/2018 at 4:01 AM, Berrychone said:

Please don't consider it, make it HAPPEN.  There are many users out there who don't want to follow the windows upgarade path. I am one of them. Please add support for all of us using Win XP 32bit, thank you.

Agree! I have old CAD program I am transitioning from and I had it working perfectly with version 8, but have gotten it all mucked up now.

• 2 weeks later...
DanBlake

DanHolli,

I'm going to take a wild guess that you are trying to install version 1.9.1.  I'm getting the same results 32 or 64 bit.  I've already opened a ticket with Symless Support.

Try installing version 1.8.8.

Google search found it at:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/synergy-stable-builds/
There seems to be some "stable build" downloads that can be found on Github, they are forks from Symless but not directly from Symless.

42 minutes ago, DanBlake said:

DanHolli,

I'm going to take a wild guess that you are trying to install version 1.9.1.  I'm getting the same results 32 or 64 bit.  I've already opened a ticket with Symless Support.

Try installing version 1.8.8.

Google search found it at:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/synergy-stable-builds/
There seems to be some "stable build" downloads that can be found on Github, they are forks from Symless but not directly from Symless.

That is what the issue was, I have it working fine now. I don't know if I will risk another version since this one is doing everything I need to right now.

On 5/18/2018 at 5:07 PM, Bruce M said:

Agree! I have old CAD program I am transitioning from and I had it working perfectly with version 8, but have gotten it all mucked up now.

The solution for me was to go back to version 1.8.8. All is working perfectly now.

• 2 years later...
Gareth3424

Did xp support get added?

I just bought a copy to use with XP.

The installer runs but gets stuck at starting services

• 2 years later...
vsndesigns

I think this software is great, and I loved it when I could use it between Windows XP and Windows 7, but it kinda got left behind when we moved onto Windows 10 and 11.  It works with Android...why not XP, it still has a pretty large fan base, just saying.