Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Uninstallation Process is WAY too Complex

Kelvin Tran

@Nick Bolton, I'm going to be frank with you. In my eyes, this is way too complex for the majority of Synergy users to grasp. I haven't installed Synergy 2.0 on Windows yet, but I'm under the assumption that you guys don't include an uninstallation script, judging from how you made a guide about uninstalling Synergy.

The average user, even one that uses Synergy (which is undoubtedly a tiny bit more savvy than the average user) should not be going in and making changes to the Windows registry. There's a reason Microsoft keeps that under relative secrecy and doesn't want everyone to know that "regedit" exists, despite it being quite well-known. They could do something in there.

My suggestion is that instead of doing this manually or even suggesting they email you, that you include a script that does this. Or, at the very least, create an instructional video that details every step of the guide so that less advanced users (the ones you were targeting with v2, remember?) can get the gist of it as well.

Just my view of the post!

Edited by Kelvin Tran
  • Like 1
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton

You're absolutely right.

We need to create a macOS uninstaller and make the Windows MSI tidy up after itself. I'll raise some issues now and get them into 2.1 (or maybe 2.0).

• Thanks 1
Kelvin Tran
13 minutes ago, Nick Bolton said:

You're absolutely right.

We need to create a macOS uninstaller and make the Windows MSI tidy up after itself. I'll raise some issues now and get them into 2.1 (or maybe 2.0).

Maybe have a --uninstall tag in the installer or something?

Then have an "Uninstall Synergy 2.0" shortcut in the Start Menu that leads to the installation file with that tag/flag?

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
28 minutes ago, Kelvin Tran said:

Then have an "Uninstall Synergy 2.0" shortcut in the Start Menu that leads to the installation file with that tag/flag?

Shouldn't be needed for Windows. The MSI system already takes care of uninstall, we simply need to improve it so it cleans up.

• Like 1
  • Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
29 minutes ago, Kelvin Tran said:

Maybe have a --uninstall tag in the installer or something?

Good idea for Mac!