Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Synergy 2 RC2, Mac 10.13, Ubuntu 17.04

After my last reboot of my Ubuntu machine this morning Synergy crashed with:

"synergy-service crashed with SIGABRT in __asert_fail_base()"

When I started the GUI it told me, that RC1 has expired.

I installed RC2 on both the Ubuntu and Mac and restarted. synergy-service coming up on Ubuntu with no problems and on the Mac as well. 

Started GUI on Ubuntu, got "Oops! There was a problem. Please try again.", clicked "Sign in with Symless", went to the browser who told me "Logging you in... Please return to Synergy"; returned to Synergy where nothing has changed (still showing the Oops-message); clicked "Sign in with Symless" again, got "Login failed! Session already established" in the browser, went back to GUI where nothing has changed. Quit the GUI and started it again. "Oops! There was a problem.", clicked "Sign in with Symless", received error "Couldn't connect to Synergy Cloud. Please check your Internet connection and try again". Clicked "Sign in with Symless" again, got "Logging you in... Please return to Synergy" in the browser, went back to the GUI. Had now one grey box for the local computer and the mesage "There was a problem connecting to the auto-config service. Retry". I retried, got back to the blue background with "Sign in with Symless" and "Oops". [add a couple more repitions here]

Restarted Ubuntu machine.

synergy-service autostarting without problems. Starting Synergy GUI - now showing two boxes, Mac green, Ubuntu-machine grey. Even though the Ubuntu-box is grey, it works as server with Mac as slave as it is supposed to do. Sluggish cursor (with left movements not working properly) after entering the Mac-screen is back.

I will quit my testing efforts here, return to 1.8.x and wait for 2.1.

I have paid for version 2 and I do NOT want my money back - just so that you guys feel guilty if you don't succeed with fixing the problems. ;-)

OK, so as everyone seemed to be happy with 2.0.0 stable I gave it another try (sigh).

Starting the services on boot and connection seems super-smooth now. No more problems! Immediate connection. Had one spinning progress bar when I tried to switch server (from the client-GUI), but that recovered after restarting the GUIs on both machines. THIS IS VERY GOOD!

The sluggish cursor is still there. So I started to play with my setup: I removed the two external monitors of my Ubuntu machine, and - voila! - Synergy runs with no problems and no sluggish cursor. So the problem comes with my monitor-setup.

Here is the description of my computers and their monitors with the big, big hope, that this will help you track down the problem:

From left to right:

MacBook Pro (info shape=-1280,0 3200x1080 at 575,1048)

• internal monitor 1280x800
  • external monitor 1920x1080

Ubuntu Laptop (screen shape: 0,0 7680x2160)

• internal monitor 3840x2160  (!!)

If the Mac is the server, there are no problems.

If Synergy < 1.9.x there are no problems.

If Synergy > 1.8.8 AND Ubuntu-Laptop is the server, the cursor will jam in the left direction on the two Mac-monitors only.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
11 hours ago, appendx said:

The sluggish cursor is still there.

Could you try closing all other apps on your Mac? Some apps interfere with the wifi and cause ping spikes.

Could you try closing all other apps on your Mac? Some apps interfere with the wifi and cause ping spikes.

There is no wifi here, the machines are wired and connected to the same hub and they have fixed ipv4 addresses in the same subnet. Wifi is actually completely disabled on both machines (we german paranoids ;-)

No, this has nothing to do with spikes or similar network problems. The problem is absolutely reproducible, it only occurs in the described screen configuration and completely vanishes, when the external monitors of the Ubuntu machine are removed. And it applies only to the negative x-movement on the Mac screens. Believe me, this has nothing to do with load or connectivity, this is definitely a bug in code.

To make clear: with random sluggishness, I do not mean that the problem occurs randomly - the problem is always there (in the described configuration) - just the amount of lag while moving the mouse to the left is random. Or to put into other words: the cursor would not move smoothly to the left, but jump a random number of pixels to the left. All the time! And there is absolutely no jumping around on the up, down, right movement.

I went through the thread  – yes, this is extremely similar to my problem and the diagnostics match perfectly with my expectations about the nature of the problem. It is a brilliant idea to document the behaviour by drawing lines in a paint program.

I have removed Synergy 2 just minutes ago and went back to 1.8.8, because I really spent hours in testing the last days and I have to get back to some money-earning, but I will try to do some more diagnostics tonight or tomorrow.