Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Synergy v1.7.3 Windows 8 Resource Hog

Michael Key
My Synergy has dramatically started using more resources sense this last update! Synergy using about 35% Anyone else have this issue?
Mike Morrissey
Yeah i'm seeing the syngeryd process take up at least 25% of resources on my Windows 7 machine. Also, my Surface 3 tablet really heats up to over 75 degrees celsisus unless I actually have the Synergy app running minimised on my desktop, after which the core temperature goes down to 55 degrees celsius!
Ben Koenig
Hi guys, I am not having this issue on Windows 7. Then again I don't use my Win7 install for very much. My install is several years old but still very close to a default install. As a working theory there must be something that must be running, that then causes a bad interaction with Synergy. Others here have mentioned specialized mouse drivers causing issues. Also note - Third Party anti-virus packages (Norton, McAfee) have been known to cause freakish problems for Windows users. It would definitely be worth checking to see if any other programs/processes are running. The big culprits are ones that interact with your screen and keyboard/mouse. Like I said I'm not having CPU usage problems, but my install is still mostly out-of-the-box with current updates.
I'm having the same problem on two Windows 7 machines. My CPU is spiking on both upwards of 60%. On my laptop it was kicking my CPU fan into overdrive until I shut down the service. Has anyone found a fix?
Craig Hamm
I'd like to offer some help. This seems to be a known bug, detailed in several threads in the forum. I have the same problem, and I did a workaround that works for me. If you start the Synergy GUI (synergy.exe) CPU usage goes back to normal immediately. I set synergy.exe to autostart with my PC, and once it's up, you can hide it to the notification tray by selecting "Window -> Hide." While it's running, even if hidden, the CPU problem is not present. Honestly, I wish the creator would make a flag for the GUI to run already hidden. I would think many users would want to have a system tray icon anyways. It isn't the best workaround, but it works. Good luck to you!
Michael Key
[quote="Craig Hamm"]I'd like to offer some help. This seems to be a known bug, detailed in several threads in the forum. I have the same problem, and I did a workaround that works for me. If you start the Synergy GUI (synergy.exe) CPU usage goes back to normal immediately. I set synergy.exe to autostart with my PC, and once it's up, you can hide it to the notification tray by selecting "Window -> Hide." While it's running, even if hidden, the CPU problem is not present. Honestly, I wish the creator would make a flag for the GUI to run already hidden. I would think many users would want to have a system tray icon anyways. It isn't the best workaround, but it works. Good luck to you![/quote] This did help the problem! CPU Usage for Synergy went from 35%+ to just a couple % THANKS!!
Hugo Gomez
Hi to all! I'm also experiencing problems with the CPU consumption on 1.7.3 and Windows 7 server with a Windows 10 Pro TP client, but my problem goes up to 90% CPU usage, rendering my computer almost useless to anything else, any click (even to open file explorer) takes a while before being executed. I'm not sure, but I think this started after upgrading to 1.7.3 version, I'm sure that I didn't had this problem before. On a quick non-exhaustive test I've noticed that the problem is not immediate, after an application (not system) restart of both the server and the client everything seems normal in terms of CPU usage, so it has to be something else, maybe even the Windows 10 client slamming the server on certain conditions, I don't know, but could be. Will investigate further and try to come up with a way to replicate this.
Ben Koenig
Hello again. Sorry about the excessive CPU usage. Unfortunately there's always another question: How many of you did an "in place" upgrade? In place being you never actually uninstalled Synergy? Every time I go up a version I first uninstalled it from the Control Panel. The safest thing to do is make sure Synergy is completely removed before you reinstall. When it doesn't work well at least you can say you gave it your best. Not the best idea but worth a shot.
karl wiggisser
I had this problem too. On my Win7, QuadCore i5 synergy used 25% of the CPU. I did an in-place update first. After uninstall and a new installation, CPU-usage is now gone. edit: Or at least I thought so for about an hour. But I found a pattern to reproduce: If the synergy window is closed via the button in the title bar (so there is no icon in the notification area) the synergyd.exe goes up to 25% CPU usage after the first switch to another desktop. If the window is just hidden, this does not happen
Thomas Fort
i've had this same problem. In one of the posts it is suggested to run synergy.exe. that worked! jsut start it up and cpu goes back to normal. odd.
Ivo Roilev
[quote="Ben Koenig"]Hello again. Sorry about the excessive CPU usage. Unfortunately there's always another question: How many of you did an "in place" upgrade? In place being you never actually uninstalled Synergy? Every time I go up a version I first uninstalled it from the Control Panel. The safest thing to do is make sure Synergy is completely removed before you reinstall. When it doesn't work well at least you can say you gave it your best. Not the best idea but worth a shot.[/quote] I have the problem when using a clean windows installation on a brand new machine
Ben Koenig
A clean Windows install is a good place to make sure nothing odd is happening. For the moment I am more interested in whether or not Synergy is in the same state. For example the upgrade from 1.7.2 to 1.7.3 was really funky for me. After uninstalling Synergy and deleting the appdata configs from 1.7.2 it started to behave. Since we are having a very hard time reproducing these errors, there is no such thing as TMI. Anything you can say about how Windows or Synergy was installed, started, and closed is useful. For this issue I would start here: 1) What happens after a cold boot? Log in and start Synergy (nothing else). How does it behave then? 2) To upgrade to the latest version, did you uninstall first from control panel? The Registration Wizard must be run to rewrite some files for the new version. 3) After a cold Windows boot up, and rerunning the Wizard - What happens? This is where log output saves the day. On my Win7 system everything works as expected after - Uninstall Synergy from Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs. - Delete everything in AppData\Local\Synergy. - Reboot. - Launch Synergy and click through the Wizard. - Repeat in [u]this exact order[/u] on second machine. For those of you with repeated issues - Please try this. Knowing what happens after these small steps gives us an incredible amount of information. Thanks!
Ben Koenig
Good news everyone! Well ok not really. I managed to reproduce your CPU problems on Windows 7 Pro x64. With 64bit Synergy 1.7.3. Thanks to the tidbits on this thread I found that when you launch Synergy, start a server, and close the Synergy window, the server keeps running even though you have no icon in your system tray. If at this point the synergys.exe process closes, you will experience excessive CPU lag. The reason causing synergys.exe to stop seems to be irrelevant. I found it by going into Task Manager and Ending it manually. A completely unrelated crash in Synergy while the GUI is closed could cause this. For example errors related to insecure SSL connections could easily cause synergyd.exe to infinitely loop. There is no need to be connected to a client to see this. The solution is to reset the synergyd.exe process. I did that by - Opening the GUI and clicking start and stop a few times. - After it has stopped (you will see the most obscure errors) close the GUI. I click the little x in the top right corner. - If you have the same problem I did then open Synergy again. Cross your fingers and click start. synergyd.exe should now be cleared from memory and started again with a fresh instance. I am sure the devs are aware of this so I will check out the 1.7.4 build and see if it got any better.
Ben Koenig
And I'm back with more! The messages and symptoms of this issue change when you fiddle with your log level. The bottom line though is that Windows process management is really persistent. So when my Synergy crashes, even if the process seem to exit there are still chunks of it floating around. Your best bet for a work around is to kill the synergyd.exe process. However this will completely break all of it until you restart the Synergy service. In Task Manager -> Services right click on "Synergy". Make sure when you do this that the Synergy app is closed! Bad things can happen otherwise. :( After the service restarts it should function assuming your configuration is correct. Thanks to karl for his fix with closing vs. hiding. It's a much faster workaround. Personally I don't like leaving random bits of programs in memory but if it works don't fix it!
Ben Koenig
Too make a very long story short. This was fixed for 1.7.4. I have visual confirmation that on Windows 7 x64 with the nightly build my CPU does not suffer from this. Anyone who would like to check out the Nightly build I am throwing caution to the wind and declaring: Fixed for 1.7.4. [url]http://synergy-project.org/nightly?filter=1.7.4[/url] My enthusiasm will get me into trouble one day...