Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

How to sign out to clean up not used computers?

Dear fellow Synergy users.

Is there a way to sign out old computers from Synergy 2 beta4 to avoid having old computers show up in the Screen ?

At the moment I am trying to connect a Ubuntu Machine with a MacOS one, and they are not seeing each other, although the MacOS is seeing old computers in the Grid that should not be showing up.

Thanks@all!

To add to my question... I am not able to see two computers in the same LAN to see each other... logs are empty.

Any way to troubleshoot that?

I was able to clean up the config out of the non existing computers... although there is still no connection between the MacOs and the Ubuntu machine.

What is the best way to debug this out ?

I discard a firewall issue already.

(sorry for the duplicated post, could not find a button to edit in my browser :S)

On 10/26/2017 at 1:59 PM, ficofer said:

I was able to clean up the config out of the non existing computers... although there is still no connection between the MacOs and the Ubuntu machine.

What is the best way to debug this out ?

I discard a firewall issue already.

(sorry for the duplicated post, could not find a button to edit in my browser :S)

How did you manage to clean out unnecessary computers from the grid?

I too have a PC on the grid view that isn't connected to synergy anymore, but can't find a simple way to delete it.

On ‎26‎.‎10‎.‎2017 at 12:59 PM, ficofer said:

Yes, how did you do it? I am searching myself...

Alan Daniels

I haven't tried tinkering with Synergy2 config but going off old Synergy - you should have an AppData folder your config is stored in  - mine is \Local\Symless\Synergy

There should be a synergy.conf file - I made all my changes to Synergy1 using this file.  So if I wanted to delete my computer named Magneto - I would remove these lines from the config:

section: screens 

Magneto:
    halfDuplexCapsLock = false
    halfDuplexNumLock = false
    halfDuplexScrollLock = false
    xtestIsXineramaUnaware = false
    switchCorners = none
    switchCornerSize = 0 

section: links

Magneto:
    down(0,66.2791) = Quicksilver(33.7209,100)
    down(66.2791,100) = Phobos(66.2791,100)
    left(75.8621,100) = Magnus(0,24.1379)

I am using the ellipsis (...) just means there is more to the config between lines

Sorry Mac/Linux users - no idea where the config is stored on either OS.

8 minutes ago, Alan Daniels said:

There should be a synergy.conf file - I made all my changes to Synergy1 using this file.  So if I wanted to delete my computer named Magneto - I would remove these lines from the config:

yes, the file is there even for Synergy2. But even deleting it on all affected machines, as soon as I restart synergy, the files are there again.

Ok, the deleted computers are missing from the config file. But they are still visible in the window...

Yeah, i modified that file, didn't really ado anything... it keeps overriding the changes i make, and restoring the machines that I removed. Tried deleting the file, it created it again, with the same config as before.

Alan Daniels

Yeah, I just tried myself and nothing, I don't have much time atm to play with this but from what I'm seeing I would guess that they keep a copy of the config in the cloud (or they sync it across your computers).  I couldn't find another copy of the config locally on my PC I was testing on.

What I noticed is that I updated my config and the moment I relaunched Synergy2 the config changed back. If I had more time I'd turn off all my other computers and see if it still reverts the config, that would really make me think they keep a copy in the cloud.

I found a file in my program data - synergy-user.cfg that looks to have a login ID and Token - makes me think we log in using that info and download the config.  

We need a dev to weigh in to know for sure

Edited by Alan Daniels
Allan Jackson
4 hours ago, Nick Bolton said:

Finally, Synergy 2 beta5 is here!

Get the latest version: Synergy-v2.0.0-beta5

I'm glad beta 5 is out, but it doesn't appear to do anything to let us deal with "phantom" computers that we'd like to remove from our configs.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
20 hours ago, Allan Jackson said:

"phantom" computers

We will add this feature, but I'm curious why people want to remove them. Is it to get a warm fuzzy feeling of tidiness or is it causing an actual problem?

3 minutes ago, Nick Bolton said:

We will add this feature, but I'm curious why people want to remove them. Is it to get a warm fuzzy feeling of tidiness or is it causing an actual problem?

I just can speak for myself here. I have a laptop with dual-boot windows and linux. Both have the same hostname, say "laptop1". Now in my synergy I have laptop1, laptop1. Now I renamed Linux to avoid this, to laptop1Linux. Now I have laptop1, laptop1, laptop1Linux.

And, sadly, I had to reinstall the whole thing. Now I have laptop1, laptop1, laptop1Linux, laptop1, laptop1Linux.

You see my problem?

Additionally, I have my desktop1 (work) and my iMac (home). But all the clients are showing up at once.

What I'd like to do is:

• delete double entries.
  • be able to have one client (laptop1) to be on the right side of desktop1 at work, yet on the left side of iMac at home.
Edited by maybeageek
13 minutes ago, maybeageek said:

be able to have one client (laptop1) to be on the right side of desktop1 at work, yet on the left side of iMac at home.

With synergy one I'd use the same hostnames and have everything setup in the config files and in the hosts files accordingly.

So laptop1 and laptop1linux would be the same hostname, no matter if the IP changes because of home or work environment. Having no control over the config file with synergy 2 AND having the mess of so many phantom-entries makes it hard to have any working setup at all.

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
10 minutes ago, maybeageek said:

With synergy one I'd use the same hostnames and have everything setup in the config files and in the hosts files accordingly.

So laptop1 and laptop1linux would be the same hostname, no matter if the IP changes because of home or work environment. Having no control over the config file with synergy 2 AND having the mess of so many phantom-entries makes it hard to have any working setup at all.

I actually have the same issue, but since my computer names are very different it doesn't get too confusing.

However, it is annoying having to reconfigure every time you dual boot. We'll be adding a feature to handle this, similar to the alias feature (but it'll group computers instead).

2 minutes ago, Nick Bolton said:

I actually have the same issue, but since my computer names are very different it doesn't get too confusing.

However, it is annoying having to reconfigure every time you dual boot. We'll be adding a feature to handle this, similar to the alias feature (but it'll group computers instead).

sounds great. :-) thanks.

Allan Jackson
3 hours ago, Nick Bolton said:

I guess a lot of it is just tidiness and not having non-existent computers on my config screen, but it's also been really confusing for me since one of the phantom computers often shows up as active (green colored screen) even when some of the working computers I'm actually connected to are still grey.

I think the specific issue I'm having is because one of my computers is listed twice in the config but under different names. I think maybe it's connecting as one when I'm at home and then using the other one when I'm at work. And when I'm at work, it's still trying to connect to my home "192.168.x.x" style address, which obviously isn't going to work.

So basically I'd like to wipe my config clean and start over with a fresh one (rather than my current mashup of 1.8 and 2.0 mixed configs). Other people have indicated that deleting your old config file has no effect though...

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
1 hour ago, Allan Jackson said:

(rather than my current mashup of 1.8 and 2.0 mixed configs)

Actually, it's not possible for the 2 configs to become mixed, as they're entirely separate.

Removing screens won't make any difference to the functionality. The only advantage is tidiness/aesthetics.

Allan Jackson
1 hour ago, Nick Bolton said:

Actually, it's not possible for the 2 configs to become mixed, as they're entirely separate.

Removing screens won't make any difference to the functionality. The only advantage is tidiness/aesthetics.

Okay, well my work laptop is showing up twice. Once as its actual name and once as the name of my old computer that was the source of the initial time machine restore for the newer computer (I haven't used the old one in a couple years).

• Synergy Team
Nick Bolton
22 minutes ago, Allan Jackson said:

Okay, well my work laptop is showing up twice. Once as its actual name and once as the name of my old computer that was the source of the initial time machine restore for the newer computer (I haven't used the old one in a couple years).

The ability to rename and remove will be here soon, thanks for your patience!

• Like 1