Hello! 👋

These forums are now archived (read only).

Join us on Discord.

Windows to Mac, then using MS RDP shift key fails

I am using a Windows 10 computer as my Synergy main server. My second box is a MacBook Pro running Sierra (12.12.6). I am trying to run Microsoft Remote Desktop (latest relaese and the beta release as well) to a Windows 1008 server and a Windows 2012 server and get the same results. When I type on the local Mac keyboard, I can use the modifier keys (shift, ctrl, alt, windows key). but if I am typing on my shared keyboard all of my modifier keys are not recognized.

I've just noticed the same issue: using Windows 10 as the server, a Mac Air running High Sierra, connecting to Windows Server 2012 R2 using Royal TSX (which uses a FreeRDP based remote desktop).

As the modifier keys work on the Mac client I have to type the text on the mac and copy it into the RDP session. I don't remember this being an issue with Synergy 1.

I ended up having to use Jump Desktop instead of FreeRDP. It was the only program I could find that would properly forward the modifier keys (even if you hit windows + c or v). I am also using Royal TSX. I have Jump Desktop launch from Royal TSX from a command task: the command is open, arguments are the name of the terminal server session (which you can shorten after creation in your folder for ease of use), and working directory is where your sessions are stored. This allows you to manage all of your sessions in Royal TSX and still use Synergy to share your keyboard and mouse on the Mac.

This problem already existed in Synergy v1 unfortunately. I can reproduce it by using Windows as a server, with a macOS client. If I then initiate a Remote Desktop connection from the Mac, using the Microsoft Remote Desktop Client, shift key presses are ignored.

It's actually been an issue for a while too - this thread is from a couple of years ago:  https://symless.com/forums/topic/167-shift-key-modifier-doesnt-work-with-rdc-on-osx-client/

Weirdly it seems to be specific to Remote Desktop - I can use other remote clients (e.g. VMware View) and modified keypresses seem to be acknowledged / used just fine.

Edited by chicaneuk
  • 4 years later...